I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:00:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Aranesp Reaction?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Aranesp Reaction?  (Read 2189 times)
BattleScars

« on: August 02, 2013, 04:17:34 AM »

My wife gave me my Aranesp shot Sunday night and yesterday I noticed the back of my arm was hurting and bruised. Also, it feels like I have a bump the size of a small egg where she gave me the shot. Is this normal? What's funny is the shots usually sting really bad but she did this one quickly so there was very little sting. For a while I was noticing if I got my shot at the clinic by the nurses it wouldn't hurt as much as when my wife was injecting me. I realized she was giving me the shot much slower causing the intense sting. Did she inject the fat or maybe got my muscle? Anyone else experience this? Next week I'm going to have her use my other arm to give this one a break.
MaryD
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 04:55:25 AM »

My Aranesp shots always sting.  I always do them in my thigh.  I've never had a bruise or lump.  Because I give me them myself, I have experimented with fast/slow and feel that slow to medium is most comfortable.
BattleScars

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 05:00:02 AM »

I haven't built up the courage to inject myself yet. You are brave. I hate needles lol. Do you inject it right under the skin in your thigh too? I always wondered if I could do it if my wife wasn't here to help me.
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 05:19:35 AM »

:Does she pull back slightly on the plunger of the syringe before she injects to aee if there is any blood?  If not, she may have hit a little blood vessel which then bled ,hence the lump (hematoma)?  It will disperse in a little while.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 11:08:35 AM »

My husband does his in his stomach area. He grabs the flab(mind there is not a bit of fat on him) and away he goes, no probs. He is on APD
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »