I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 09:53:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories
| | |-+  Flying Allowed?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Flying Allowed?  (Read 6737 times)
Just Paul

« on: July 27, 2013, 05:03:33 PM »

So its my 30th this year and I really want to go to Paris for it, I had planned to travel via the Eurostar but apparently the time at which I wanted to go has nothing available... so now I am possibly thinking of flying... but that's the thing, I saw on the first week after I had my fistula put in someone who got on a plane and their entire are had turned black as their fistula BURST! I definitely don't want that to happen... So what I really mean to say is: Can I fly on a plane at all from say London > Paris? or are my 30th Birthday plans all for naught?
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 06:11:29 PM »

I fly from Halifax, Nova Scotia to New York City, about an hour and a half flight, with no problems with my fistula.  I think that may have been a one off, as many of us fly with our fistulas, and none of us have had them explode. 

Our RichardMel travels halfway around the world all the time, and I'm pretty sure he has a fistula as well

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
PatDowns

Celebrating 60th B'Day. 12/26/15

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 08:00:01 PM »

There is no reason why you can't fly just because having a fistula.  I flew to NY to have a fistula placed - 2.5 hours - and then back home a two days after the surgery.  If someone's fistula "exploded" it was because of a pre-existing problem, not the flight.  Now, if he was on an airplane that did not have a pressurized cabin...

Frank Moiger aka (previously) NoahVale and now PatDowns, the name originally chosen by a good dialysis mate who died in 12/2013.  I started in center hemodialysis as a 22 y.o. in 1978.  Cadaver transplant in 1990 and then back to in center hemodialysis in 2004 (nocturnal shift since 2011) after losing my transplant.  Former Associate  Director/Communications Director of the NKF of Georgia, President of the Atlanta Area AAKP Chapter, and consumer representative to ESRD Network 6.  Self-employed since 1993.

Dialysis prescription:
Sun-Tue-Thur - 6 hours per treatment
Dialysate flow (Qd) - 600 
Blood pump speed(Qb) - 315
Fresenius Optiflux200 NR filter - NO REUSE
Fresenius 2008 K2 dialysis machine
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 08:15:54 AM »

I have flown with my fistula, initially just after it had been formed.  I have never heard of this,.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 08:19:20 AM »

their hand would do more than turn black if their fistula exploded.  They would have bled to death

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Just Paul

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 02:29:54 PM »

their hand would do more than turn black if their fistula exploded.  They would have bled to death

I'm only using the term she used, I don't profess to be an expert on the subject lol

Aside from that thanks for all the info people you have been a great help, I guess I'll be going to Paris after all ^^
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 06:57:44 PM »

awww I feel special now.. a bit... haha

yeah I was concerned about flying post fistula creation back in 2004, but I was assured it would be OK - just in case I took a short hour flight to make sure for myself and no problem. Then I did longer trips and all good.

At this point with the same Fistula I am not sure how many miles I have done in the air, but as guess would be between 200,000 and 300,000 without any issues. Fistula still buzzing away.....

and another 20,000 or so miles planned for October :)

so I say yes all safe with a fistula. An arm going "black" sounds like the fistula blew, but that wouldn't be from the air pressure I bet

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Just Paul

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 03:45:57 AM »

Now I am really curious as to how it could have happened... basically she said that she had the fistula op and a week later went on holiday, then her fistula blew... she didn't go into details but she did say it was because of the plane she flew on...

Her arm was like a big mass of bruising and I have to say it did kinda make me nervous about ever getting on a plane again lol.

BTW, any idea what she could have done to make her fistula burst like that?
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 05:46:46 AM »

maybe it just wasn't healing properly?

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 09:20:20 PM »

She flew a week after the op? it wasn't matured so probably the pressure *may* have caused an issue there, but who really knows.. it could have been total co-incidence... certainly a mature fistula should not blow under normal cirtcumstances - most certainly not without a needle in there that could even potentially break the wall of the vein.

As I've said I've flown hundreds of thousands of miles in hundreds of aircraft with no issues for over 9 years. I would not be too worried about it if I were you - but as always consult your neph!!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 10:13:52 AM »

I flew from Ca to Ga a few days after my op.  Never even entered my head to be concerned.  Maybe something leaked at the anastamosis between the vein and the artery?

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »