I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:35:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories
| | |-+  Question on taking my cycles through U.S. Customs from Winnipeg to Hawaii
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Question on taking my cycles through U.S. Customs from Winnipeg to Hawaii  (Read 3431 times)
Scarlet

Can someone wake me up please

« on: July 28, 2013, 08:41:45 PM »

Hey folks, due to the sucky cancelled transplant, my husband is taking me on a second honeymoon...we are going from Winnipeg to Vancouver and then on to Hawaii.  We have made all the arrangements to get supplies to the hotel, but I need to take my cycles with me.  I am good getting through Canada and the airline has given me all the info I need, but I am not sure what the US Customs folks are going to say or need.

Anyone had to deal with customs and might know what I may need.  Thanks!! :waving;
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 11:23:59 AM »

I've never had any real issues with my cycler at Customs, but this is what I was told to do.  Take the cycler and it's case to a local Customs office at some point before you leave, like maybe a week before or something.  They will register the serial number and give you a dated Canada Customs card with the number on it to prove that it's (technically) yours.  I actually did this will all the electronics I was bringing with me, like my phone, ipod, camera, etc.  If they do have questions, you can show them this card that proves that everything is yours.

The only other thing I can say is to make sure that your cycler is clean of any betadine.  Give it a good wipedown before you pack it in your case when you leave, because they will open it up and test it for explosives when you're going through security.  Sometimes a trace amount of betadine can give a false positive for explosives.  And if you're travelling Air Canada, DO NOT let them force you into checking your cycler.  Keep it with you as carry on.  It will fit under the seat in front of you without too much trouble.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Tío Riñon

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 03:31:50 PM »

I've traveled between the US & Europe and the US & South America.  I have never had any problems with customs in the US.  On the other hand, the TSA procedures vary a bit from airport to airport, but I've always gotten through in the end.  I carry a note from my clinic stating the medically necessary items that I'm carrying.

I have never pre-registered my cycler or other electronics with customs as Riki mentioned, but it can't hurt if you have time.  The wipe down will help with the TSA.

BTW, I happen to be driving up to Canada next month.  Any tips that I need to know about going through customs there?
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 05:25:12 PM »

if they ask if you have anything to declare, don't say "war."  *LOL*

just be sure to have your passport, and to know your license plate number in case they ask.  They'll ask all the same questions they ask when going through customs at the airport, where you're from, where you're going, how long, business or pleasure, etc.. There really isn't a whole lot to it.  Bro and I had a rental car when going to NYC a few years ago and when he was asked the plate number, he didn't know it, so we were pulled in for a random search.  I had PD supplies in the trunk, and told them beforehand that if they wanted any boxes opened, to ask and we'd open them, but not to cut them open.  We sat for about a half hour, and they let us go.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »