I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:40:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Spouses and Caregivers
| | |-+  need help!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: need help!  (Read 3114 times)
Mtommywright

« on: July 20, 2013, 04:08:06 PM »

We are new at Home dialysis .... Had some ups and downs this week has been crazy... storm one night knocked out power,next night took to long to get second needle in .. Not sure if that is what happen today but the arterial pressure was VERY high .... speed was 200 kept getting a 24 alarm .. Called nxstage and they said move the needle around .. Well after several mins. it didnt work... GOSH I dont know what to do..
Could we try again today ? or wait ?
noahvale
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 04:44:27 PM »

« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 11:51:41 PM by noahvale » Logged
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 05:02:29 PM »

Oh im so sorry :(  it's SOoooooooooo scarry for a while when you just get started with this.  Heck, after 2 1/2 years, if the needle doesnt go right in, i can get upset still.  How awful that you got the electricity knocked out before you even got to get used to this  dang stuff :(   This is one for today though, i would re call your nurse.  It's pretty individual i'd think as to if you can just wait it out and start again tomorrow or that they would like to come assist, or????   Are you using buttonholes?  I sure hope mabie someone else has had experience with this particular issue your having and can help ya out.  Those other sites i gave ya on a different post of yours may help too.  The nxstage users was my lifeline (huby one on dialyss) and it seems that no matter what time of day/night i was in a frenzie, someone would be 'on' and get right back to me.  I use their 'listserve' and so it's super now time.  Wishen you the best on getting your answers.  Dont give up :)  It'll all become second nature soon  :flower;

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 07:54:19 PM »

can try propping a piece of gauze (2x2) under wings.  This can help re-position it in vein since it is probably sucking against wall of vein if you are getting 24 alarms at blood flow rate of 200.  If this doesn't work, if your husband is using blunt needles. You can flip the blue wings over, taking care not to dislodge needle in doing so.  If your husband has very superficial fistula, you may want to ask your nurse to order medisystems 5/8" needles.  They work well in shallow fistulas.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »