I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:20:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Spouses and Caregivers
| | |-+  It's a love thing
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: It's a love thing  (Read 4346 times)
Icare

« on: July 18, 2013, 03:45:13 AM »

Caring for my wife is stressful and a big job but we did say for better or worse!  :cuddle;  I work, and have most of the domestic duties now. I have many of the feelings I have read in other post. Resentment self pity and very tired at times. It will be nice to have people to share with and in courage.

Fixed smiler error ---- paris, Moderator
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 08:18:19 AM by paris » Logged
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 12:08:08 PM »

After waiting years for a transplant, I finally received one and my husband and I were so thrilled that our life could be somewhat normal again.  At my 20 months post transplant date, my husband wasn't feeling good and was diagnosed with a rare type of terminal cancer which has no medicines that can help.  Suddenly, I became the caregiver.  He was very sick, couldn't stand or walk, his muscles were detererating, no self control, saddest time of my life.  Within 3 months, he was gone.  My life has been shattered.   But, I have so much compassion for all caregivers.  It is a hard job, especially watching your spouse get sicker each day.  I understand all your feelings---1st you are so very tired. There is never time to get it all done.  My resentment was more "why didn't I die?"  I was already sick, why was it him?   I feel like I can understand both sides now.   I hope your days are going well.  It is ok to be mad and resentful.  We all feel those feelings at times.   :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 03:41:24 PM »

"In sickness and in health ..."  ;D

I work and have all the domestic duties ... but we were stuck in that rut long before my Blokey was diagnosed! *grin*

Feel free to share the bad times AND the good!

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
Grumpy-1

Make me the person my dog thinks I am

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 04:16:22 AM »

I give a BIG  :thumbup;  to all care givers.  My wife is now the one that takes most of the load of chores around the house as well as the yard.  While I can ride the rider mower, she usually does that while I'm at work. But for all the other yard duties, she has to handle those.  She has always taken care of the inside of the house stuff.  Not that I couldn't do it before, but I just didn't do it to her satisfaction.  Now, she does it all.  And then on top of all that, she watches our 5 grand kids while their parents (our kids) work.  Way TOOOOOOO much work on her now and it shows.  She is sometimes very short in patience - with me and the grand kids.  Grumpy

Make me the person my dog thinks I am
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 09:00:00 AM »

oh man oh man....... this IS the place to come where others understand......  :'(  It's so gosh awful hard sometimes, and nightmareish at others. (heartbreaking :(  )  Latly, it seems *our* biggest battle is to keep spirits up.  Once he goes down/sad, it throws that much more awful heart wrenching pain on me and , well,  and zaps any energy i have left to carry on.  Yes, we are in a very low here, mentally,  physically, and medically.  I just wish i could gather more strength somewhere .. anyone got some to spare  ;)  I just want him to know i love doing for him,(wearing or not) and not feel BAD for it.  Having our loved ones fee 'bad' is  not the point my or any of our efforts.  Thats in fact, a part( to those 'patients' on here) of what hurts our hearts. Dont feel guilty! its not your fault!     Though we may fuss HERE about the exhaustion and all, we are so 'that way' (exhausted)  because we give our all, and then some to make ya all happy  :flower;  We do it with love, and want more than anything for you to know YOUR worth it.  Its just hard when ya dont get better for us... lol

love and blessings to all... 

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
Icare

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 05:31:30 PM »

:bow; Thank you all so much!  I would like you all to know my wife Connie better. She has put up with me for 35 years. Had four children for us and did an excellent job raising them. Has been very strong through all the pain and procedures. She is one tough woman who loves the Lord!  Well thank you all again!
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 09:05:57 PM »

Bless your heart for sharing  :cuddle;   I am greatful to hear of her love for the Lord :)  I hope it brings you some peace.  It's so hard on our everlovenhearts.. I wanna be strong, but im kinda failing in that dept these days.  Ya just gave me another boost :)  I too am not alone.. 

christijo

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 05:33:07 PM »

My Dear Boswife and Icare,
God Bless you both. Yes, it is our Maker and God who gives us the strength. I am into this for 5 years now. My Mike doesn't care if I am tired. He wakes me up in the middle of the night knowing I have to wake up and open the local Newspaper company by 7:30. There is no mercy from him to me. I have to sneak and sleep in the bathroom on the pot. He hates me sleeping. I sneak into another bedroom when he is watching TV. He has extreme brain damage, the result of 7 strokes, dementia from cardio-vascular problems, and 20 pounds of fluid off him weekly that are toxic. There seems no end. Yes, this is a nightmare. But like the book, UNBROKEN, this man endured horrible suffering in Japanese prison camps. He refused to let his Spirit break.  Yes, I am ashamed, I have prayed to die many times and then asked God to forgive me. I want so very much to live but it is sooo hard putting up with physical and mental torture to my Soul. Name calling hurts me the most. And a heart that has no gratitude for what I sacrifice. Lets pull together my friends. I pray for ICAre and Boswife right now. Dear Jesus, Lift their Spirits. Get them thru this. Give them great joy tonight. Give them peace that passeth all understanding from our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 07:15:42 PM »

oh christijo,,,,,,,, thank you for your understanding AND prayer  :pray;  We are lifted today... why?? well, mabie your prayers have helped us if for only this day.  We have seen a couple of changes each day and today the best.  I have to say, (since you are being so honest about your pains) that the mental is the worse..  Things have changed in bos head some, and towards eve, he gets 'different', and it hurts!!  I pray for comfort for you as i KNOW now what name calling can do  :(   Bless his heart, he's mostly still here, but no matter what anyone else can say to comfort,, it still hurts real bad when badmouth is  happening  Im truly sorry, and something i try to remind my self is this.........  I commit my work to the Lord (not always joyfully), and that is ALWAYS good :)   :grouphug;

Icare

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 02:36:15 AM »

Chistijo and Boswife

That is the hardest part of caregiving, having to be torn down by the person you love and care for. Connie isn't  mean but can get very demanding and say thing that hurt and it is usually while being help with a not so pleasant task. But as we keep praying for one another and our loved ones we will make it.
"Dispite all outward apperiences God is in control" this is what gets me through many a day.
God bless you both 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »