I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:08:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  Davita and Dialysis Chairs
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Davita and Dialysis Chairs  (Read 2610 times)
kyshiag

« on: July 08, 2013, 09:44:25 AM »

I was told today by a Davita employee that, in the 8 years since they started with Davita, Davita had never got a chair for a home dialysis patient.  Now, while I find this hard to believe, it took me months to get a chair from them and I don't want another patient to go to though this.  How do we go about making sure that other patients know that they can get a chair?
tito

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 09:50:59 AM »

A chair? When I was doing in-center overnight hemo last summer (I'm on PD normally) to cure a case of calciphylaxsis, they wouldn't give me a %$#@% pillow! Said they didn't have enough and the long-term patients got them!

This is DCI, a small dialysis company that runs the show at my local hospital (a branch of the "famous" Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston- which paralyzed my leg in a routine hip replacement - beware this hospital!!!!).
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 10:19:22 AM »

AWwwwwwwwwwwww, this has been and off and on going battle with us!!  I was going to fight to the end but have found other things exhausting me in between battles so have put it to the back burner once again..  We are with fresiness (sorry for spelling) at this time, and thought it may be easier than RAI but so far not so.  They said that when we gave up strait medical, we have to go by our kiaser rules, but!!!!!!!! two years ago when we started, kiaser even had written that a chair was in order, and STILL we got no chair.  Now, we finally went and got him a lazyboy chair, and he has gotton so used to his reclining couch, that he wont use the chair we purchased :( so i dont know if the battle should still be fought....... (except to pass on to others in same situation)  Soooooooooooooo, what was your 'route' to success?? 

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
kyshiag

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 10:41:41 AM »

I just kept saying that I knew I was supposed to get a chair and refusing to let my husband go home without one.  I also applied for a transfer to Frenius and the call for transfer paperwork came in right in one of our argument with the social worker and nursing staff.  Frenius says they get a chair for every one of their home patients.

The chair is not a cosmetic thing.  You need to be able to recline into the trendelenburg position if your pressure goes low.  A regular recliner, while more comfortable, will not do this.

Stupid thing is, I have BCBS who would pay for the chair.  Davita staff just would not order it.
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 12:43:45 PM »

awwwww very interesting... I think i may just contact fresinus directly and see what they have to say... Thank you very much :)

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 07:56:44 PM »

The chair I have incenter is dangerous.  If you recline you cannot get back up by yourself.  So, if you are choking and no one was around you could die.  You can have that one!  LOL

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »