I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:54:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  Offer Accepted!!!! We're Buying a Fixer!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Offer Accepted!!!! We're Buying a Fixer!  (Read 7894 times)
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2013, 04:08:54 PM »

Gosh, dern! I hope you can re-negotiate or find the perfect house within this short time! I don't envy you.

The house across the street just listed this week. I enjoy seeing what properties are going for in the neighborhood. They have done some extensive renovating and it shows. But then I wonder whether it is better to save the major renovating for the buyers so they can do exactly what they want. We will not be selling for a few years, but it IS something to think about. Carl had said that we would rip out the carpeting when he was no longer doing dialysis and put in hardwood flooring throughout. Well, it has been two and a half years and THAT hasn't happened! Who knows if we will EVER do that. The owners across the street did and OH! It looks fantastic!

Living vicariously through you, dear Cariad! Keep us posted.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2013, 04:23:51 AM »

Gosh, dern! I hope you can re-negotiate or find the perfect house within this short time! I don't envy you.
It's a nail-biter to be sure. My friend has given up trying to find a property before they have to move (huge kerfuffle with an insane landlord, so they need to be moved out by the date or risk giving him way too much power over them - they found their next rental by pleading with an estate agent for tips on who was about to put their place on the market.) This friend has explained the word 'bottleneck' in the real estate context to me. Our town currently has one and they benefit no one but estate agents and landlords. Essentially, it is so hard to get a house here that would-be buyers are doing everything they can to make themselves as attractive as possible. This means that they want to make an offer with 'no chain' (they want to be able to say that they don't need to sell anything first in order to complete the purchase of the next property). Sooooo, a fair number of individuals are selling their current property, moving in to rental accommodation for 6-12 months, and using that time to make a no-chain offer on a house. It is housing madness the likes of which I've never seen, and I've lived in San Francisco, LA, and Manhattan.
The house across the street just listed this week. I enjoy seeing what properties are going for in the neighborhood. They have done some extensive renovating and it shows. But then I wonder whether it is better to save the major renovating for the buyers so they can do exactly what they want. We will not be selling for a few years, but it IS something to think about. Carl had said that we would rip out the carpeting when he was no longer doing dialysis and put in hardwood flooring throughout. Well, it has been two and a half years and THAT hasn't happened! Who knows if we will EVER do that. The owners across the street did and OH! It looks fantastic!

Living vicariously through you, dear Cariad! Keep us posted.

Aleta
:rofl; I could give you a laundry list of renovation and remodeling we swore we were going to do, only to sell the house with everything in basically the same state as when we bought it.

As for buyers wanting to choose their own style, there was a house we really liked in town but it is nearly double the cost of the property we hope to purchase. It is still on the market. Builders bought it and renovated it, and made some truly puzzling design choices: purple for the kitchen cupboards? Who would think this is the wisest choice when attempting to go for broad appeal? Cost aside, we did tell the estate agent that the house was worth well under the asking price to us because we would have to pay to undo what we didn't like about the property. That would have been such a waste, too, because everything is completely new in there. If we had purchased it, I know that we would have more than likely spoken at length about remodeling the kitchen, probably even drawn up plans and priced new cabinetry, and in the end.... we would have just lived with the purple.  :rofl;

Thanks for following our housing saga! :) 

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
skg

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2013, 10:41:31 PM »

Houses are a pain (at times). One thing I found particularly unpleasant was *finally* getting some things fixed just in order to sell the place (after having lived with them for years!)

OTOH, I've found it very liberating to live in a house that we have NO plans to sell. So, whenever we do things, we just have to think about what *we* want (well, that and what we can afford) and nothing else.

cheers,
skg
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2013, 11:43:23 AM »

Purple cabinets?  Seriously?  Maybe the flipper was color blind....

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Sugarlump
Elite Member

10 years on and off dialysis

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2013, 12:54:42 AM »

Purple kitchen  :bandance; that could be kind of funky! but a nightmare to buy accessories that match or co-ordinate!!!!
My current kitchen is turquoise and I love it (peaceful colour) and easy to match with other blue stuff and easy on the eye in the morning  8)
(I am a bit ocd about things matching)

Orange seems to be really big this year!

10 years of half a life
3 years HD 1st transplant Feb 08 failed after 3 months
Back to HD 2nd transplant Dec 10 failed after 11 months
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Back on HD (not easy to do that third time around)
Fighting hard (two years on) to do home HD ... watch this space!
Oh and I am am getting married 1/08/15 to my wonderful partner Drew!!!
The power of optimism over common sense :)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »