I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:43:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  A bit about me!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A bit about me!  (Read 2691 times)
grannyt

« on: June 11, 2013, 04:26:56 AM »

:pray;
Its a long story but I will try to tell it , about 3 weeks ago I was so sick I give up and went to ER, I had been sick off and on for a year and a half, run a fever, throw up and go to bath room alot, then i would be OK for a while. But something told me, today you better see a doc, see we have no Ins, so i but off long as i could, well needless to say I was put in hospital with renal failure, I didn't know. well kidney doc from hospital said come to see him, but he wouldn't see me with no Ins. My family doc got a doc to see me its this wedsday, I now got Ins but it a year before they will pay for anything I had before I got it.
My last blood test I was at 1.9, and my family doc said I'm stage 4, I know nothing about this, but I know its not good to do nothing,so everyone help me learn please. My name is Teresa (grannyt) I'm 56 and married to a great man, I have 2 kids a daughter 27 and a son 24, My daughter give me 3 wonderful grandsons,they can be meaner than a junk yard dog but they own my heart...I have lost 45 pounds in the last 2 months, I want to lose more, see I'm a big girl, was 305 now I'm 260.

BIG HUGS
TERESA :flower;
MaryD
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 06:08:17 AM »

Big hugs back, Teresa.  And welcome      :welcomesign;

Methinks you're about to hit a big learning curve.  This is a good place to get answers and there's no such thing as a silly question.

:flower;
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 07:15:06 AM »

Welcome grannyt! Hope we can help you a lot as you go through this process.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 08:24:24 AM »

Hi Teresa, and welcome to IHD.  I'm so glad you found us.  Keep losing weight because that is one criteria for a transplant.  You have to have a skinny ass?  LOL  Listen don't panic.  If you have worked or your husband has worked in the United States for a few years you qualify for Medicare and no matter your age you qualify for Medicare with End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD).  Dialysis centers will take what Medicare pays even if you don't have insurance.  It is complicated but your Social Worker will explain it.  You can also go the the Medicare website and search Dialysis and read up. 

1.9 must be your creatinine level??  That is not too bad.  They usually start dialysis when your creatinine is 10.  You need to start eating a pre dialysis diet.  Ask this new doctor about it.  I use to throw up all the time when I was pre dialysis but didn't know about eating a low protein diet.  Then there is a whole new diet once on dialysis but don't worry about that now.

They will probably want to put in a dialysis access.  You need a good blood supply and there are needles involved.  If you hate needles see if you are a candidate for PD... (Peritoneal Dialysis). 

Lots to learn and I'm sorry you have this but you will live to have your grandsons run you ragged.

Rerun, Moderator    :welcomesign;

Grumpy-1

Make me the person my dog thinks I am

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 08:49:18 AM »

welcome GrannyT   -  You know how you feel when you get on the roller coaster and the cars start clanking up the steep ramp?   Hold on because you are in for a wild ride.  I'm not trying to scare you, but your life will change.  Keep reading posts here about all of us and the "fun" of dialysis. ASK all the questions you want.  Get your hubby to read about stuff here too.  He will become your care-giver.  While you are 56, once you have to start dialysis, you will become eligible for Medicare (ie you will be classifed as disabled) Age no longer matters.  Welcome to the family.  And again come back often and read, ask questions, learn about options, pro and cons, etc.   :welcomesign;

Make me the person my dog thinks I am
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 08:41:16 PM »

Welcome Grannyt.  Sorry under these circumstances, but glad you found IHD.  Lots of support & knowledge here on all things Dialysis.

Again welcome &  God Bless,
lmunchkin

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 07:22:37 AM »

Hi Grannyt! Glad you found us. This is the best place to come with questions. You will get honest answers (whether you want them or not! LOL!)
Find out all you can about what to discuss with your dr. it really helps that everyone here has been where you are.
Best of luck to you!
   :welcomesign;

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »