I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:01:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  2 days in a row, on and off dialysis
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2 days in a row, on and off dialysis  (Read 7273 times)
Voodookitty

« on: June 23, 2013, 04:01:58 AM »

In May, my Mom was admitted to the hospital two times, due to CHF.
Both episodes occurred early Monday mornings.
I am assuming that this would have something to do with the 2 days off without her in center dialysis treatments and fluid control.
(she is on M-W-F schedule, 4 hours each day)

At our most recent Doctors appt., the Doctor asked my Mom to consider doing 4 days a week, 3 hours each treatment.
And, that was understandable to me.

Until the dialysis center came up with the revised schedule.
It would be M- W- TH- F.
SAT. or SUN., no dialysis?

Can someone shed light on this, for me?
I mean, wouldn't it make sense to have the 4th day be on Saturday?
Will 2 days in a row like that help us to prevent those future Monday morning episodes?

I don't get it 
Voodookitty

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 05:37:23 AM »

OOPS!
Did I say 2 days on and off?
OMG... I'm sleepy.

I meant 3 days on, all in a row and then... 2 days off, in a row!

zzzzzzzzzz ~ going to sleep, now
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 08:14:27 AM »

It is worth a try.  An on her 2 days off she has to restrict her liquid.  No 24 ounce Ice Teas.  Sips of water with medication and half her usual amounts.  Half of a cup of coffee in the morning etc... 

Reason number 1 why dialysis sucks!

boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 09:16:09 AM »

agree w/rerun IF it has to be 'those' days.  I dont understand though  why they dont do m,w,th, and then sat.  something like that.  I know it can be done, but will they..hum.  I'd work on that.  When bo was in center, they had 'request' lists, so if you wanted different hours, it went by who asked first.  It worked well.  Wonder if they have that and just havent offered that option to you..  best of luck.  It seems that it's a constant battle of ups and downs with this but make it as workable and health promoting as possible :)

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 10:14:24 AM »

The two days off in a row is a killer.   Cardiac deaths are more common after the two day off interval.  Just a thought, is home hemo an option for your mum?  No two day interval then.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
cdwbrooklyn

Positive Thoughts equal Positive Energy

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 01:16:54 PM »

Hello VoodooKitty,

Three days on and two days off consistently, I've never thought about that.   Everyone is different, you never know, it may work for her.  However, I would try it once to seen how her results come out.  If her results are good than go for it.  I've done three days on and one day off and my results were good.   Now I'm going to try two days on and one day off to see what will happen.  Anyhoo, everyone is different and their bodies handle dialysis differently.  I'm always trying new things so I can continue living a closet to normal life.   

Let me know what happens?

Thanks.  8)

Dailysis patient for since 1999 and still kicking it strong.  I was called for a transplant but could not get it due to damage veins from extremely high blood pressure.  Have it under control now, on NxStage System but will receive dailysis for the rest of my life.  Does life sucks because of this.  ABOLUTELY NOT!  Life is what you make it good, bad, sick, or healthy.  Praise God I'm still functioning as a normal person just have to take extra steps.
Voodookitty

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 02:20:49 PM »

Thank you guys, for your input!

Although in home hemo was never offered as an option, I don't think it would be an option for my Mom. (for too many reasons)

Yesterday, we had a Doctors appt and the Doctor prescribed her a Diuretic (80 mg. Lasex) to take on her non-dialysis days.
I wonder though, if 80 mg. is too high?  She was on Lasex a long time ago, and I remember it was only 40 mg.... hmmmm

I guess we'll see if controlling fluids and the diuretic will help.

Hello VoodooKitty,

Let me know what happens?

Thanks.  8)

Hi cdwbrooklyn, :waving;  she declined to do a 4th day - for now, anyway.

PatDowns

Celebrating 60th B'Day. 12/26/15

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 03:25:40 PM »

I'm sorry to be so harsh with my comment, but your mother sounds like is a prime candidate for becoming a "Killer Weekend Syndrome" statistic.  Even more so because of her history with cardiovascular disease.  The x4 weekly dialysis sessions sounds completely reasonable for her.  However, the schedule the dialysis center came up with is defeating the purpose of the additional treatment.  What makes sense would be Mon-Wed-Thur-Sat or Mon-Tues-Thurs-Sat so she does not have a two day period w/o treatment. 

Let her nephrologist know you are knowledgeable about the "Killer Weekend Syndrome" and how your mother fits the profile.  Here's a link to the info:

http://www.hemodoc.com/2012/01/the-kjellstrand-lecture-the-deadly-delay-part-iii-the-killer-weekend.html

Dialysis pts are sometimes put on furosemide (Lasix) to treat pulmonary edema whether they still urinate or not. Furosemide is given to "shift" fluids out from the lungs, making it easier to dialyze out of the body.  Someone should keep an eye on her once starting this protocol since furosemide can have its own set of problems.

I hope your mom can get stabilized quickly and with no further complications.  -  Pat

« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 03:31:52 PM by PatDowns » Logged

Frank Moiger aka (previously) NoahVale and now PatDowns, the name originally chosen by a good dialysis mate who died in 12/2013.  I started in center hemodialysis as a 22 y.o. in 1978.  Cadaver transplant in 1990 and then back to in center hemodialysis in 2004 (nocturnal shift since 2011) after losing my transplant.  Former Associate  Director/Communications Director of the NKF of Georgia, President of the Atlanta Area AAKP Chapter, and consumer representative to ESRD Network 6.  Self-employed since 1993.

Dialysis prescription:
Sun-Tue-Thur - 6 hours per treatment
Dialysate flow (Qd) - 600 
Blood pump speed(Qb) - 315
Fresenius Optiflux200 NR filter - NO REUSE
Fresenius 2008 K2 dialysis machine
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »