I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:05:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  The IHD Family - Our Members
| | |-+  2013 IHD "Let's get together in The UK!"
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2013 IHD "Let's get together in The UK!"  (Read 87007 times)
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #225 on: May 13, 2014, 01:57:02 AM »

OK so I'm back on planet IHD after my travels (and trevails) and recovery and work and all the rest. Just a few comments.

First if this was Facebook I owuld have "liked"most of the above posts. thank you all for your comments. about the event.

I can only speak for myself, but it was such a wonderful pleasure, in so many ways, for me to get over there to visit my old "stomping grounds" of Cambridge, but way more importantly to meet friends old (Cariad, Gwyn, Karen) and new-at least in person (Sugar & Drew, Dyl & Aidan the really great offspring of Cariad & Gwyn), Cas & Tony (thanks for the tea! :) ) and of course our dear Poppy and Paul!!!

that is the last time I am roped into standing up and giving a lame-ass speech!!! Seriously.. I got roped into it in 2011, and again in 2014. I don't DO speeches people.. just because I have a funny accent and now have the moniker of "the resident of the teaser box" seriously... it is so not my thing.

Having written that.. - as Sugar noted - to have our two wonderful live donors there, along with those of us who have received wonderful gifts, and our supporters/partners was so special. Gwyn and Poppy should never ever underestimate how wonderful they are and how they have changed lives - not just of their partners - but for so many other connected people - family/friends etc for their selfless acts. Bravo!

When, during the champagne (who kept filling my glass when I wanted to stick to the water?! :) ) soaked moments Sugar broached the subject of how many kidneys were at our table, it did really hit home all of us with the usual plus one or two, and those who had given. To all be able to be there, eating food, drinking and carrying on was really so special. Certainly I wouldn't have been able to be there were it not for the generosity of a family I'll never know.

Our little group symbolised, for me, one thing I think EPOman, IHD's founder (RIP) would have been so proud of - not only members and famlies getting together, but also the spirit shown of all of us to *live life!* and not let this disease get us down no matter where we are at. I so admired Casandra's spirit and determination, with Tony, to make this work for her - and to share thoughts on NXStage with Sugar and Drew - while those of us with happy beans could enjoy the chocolate pudding and extra drinks. Fantastic!

Poppy do not worry I do not have any pictures of you - I tried to take some but my camera refused. It kept flashing up messages saying "She's way too pretty to be on your phone sunshine!" - damn these smart phones are getting ever so smart. That it works for me at all is a miracle :)

To Iona - don't sweat it re the food and meal. We shared around and enjoyed it, and really it was fine. Honestly on the night our biggest concern was not knowing, and of course hoping it wasn't something like a hospital admission.. w understand you would have been there if you could.. It is very understandable. Don't worry, next year you can make up for it!!!  :rofl;

Being back in the UK, which is always special for me as a "distant cousin" (and no, I don't have any convicts in my family tree) there's something special about the UK and it's people I adore, and our new, yet old, friends brought the spirit to life - no matter where they were from.

thank you one and all - and cheers again to Sugar for organising everything - it made it all go very smoothly and so much fun. Bravo!!

I definitely vote for another event next year - I heard Blackpool suggested. hey, works for me.. but let's face it when I travel over 13,000 miles to get there (and same back) it could be the isle of Skye and I'd be fine with it. All part of the adventure!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Sugarlump
Elite Member

10 years on and off dialysis

« Reply #226 on: May 13, 2014, 02:45:47 AM »

Actually Rich I thought you made a wicked speech, and i too found the weekend very empowering  :waving;
But I have a very intriguing idea for next year ... need to do some research before I toss the idea about  :bandance;  :bandance;  :bandance;

10 years of half a life
3 years HD 1st transplant Feb 08 failed after 3 months
Back to HD 2nd transplant Dec 10 failed after 11 months
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Back on HD (not easy to do that third time around)
Fighting hard (two years on) to do home HD ... watch this space!
Oh and I am am getting married 1/08/15 to my wonderful partner Drew!!!
The power of optimism over common sense :)
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #227 on: May 13, 2014, 11:32:03 PM »

Stonehenge at Dawn? I'm in! :D

except for the last 2 weeks in April as I have a pre-existing date in Chicago (assuming mr kidney is all good) for a 20 year anniversary :)

otherwise count me in!

PS: thank you for the compliment re the speech but I am terrible at such things.. specially when put on the spot!

27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #228 on: May 14, 2014, 02:07:42 AM »

Ack, you two are so coy! Intriguing meet ideas? 20-year anniversaries celebrated on the other side of the world? Tell me, tell me, tell me!!!!

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #229 on: May 15, 2014, 04:17:09 AM »

Hmmmmmmmmmm  8)

10 years of half a life
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #230 on: May 16, 2014, 10:47:09 AM »

Poppy do not worry I do not have any pictures of you - I tried to take some but my camera refused. It kept flashing up messages saying "She's way too pretty to be on your phone sunshine!" - damn these smart phones are getting ever so smart.

That made me laugh. Thanks.

And for what it's worth, your speech was brilliant and lovely and squishy.

;D

But I have a very intriguing idea for next year ... need to do some research before I toss the idea about  :bandance;  :bandance;  :bandance;

You're so devilishly mysterious, Sugar!

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #231 on: May 17, 2014, 01:38:47 AM »

I do love to plan things Poppy ... be it Christmasses, Weddings or Lets get together in the UK 2015!!!  :cheer:

10 years of half a life
JW77

« Reply #232 on: May 30, 2014, 04:09:04 PM »

Hi all

I'm likely to be down in Plymouth for the day later in the year, and trying to put together a small gathering in July.  June is very much taken up. 

If anyones interested I can float some ideas around in a new thread! :)

Creator of London Kidney Social: https://www.facebook.com/groups/LondonKidneySocial/

Medical stuff, includes 3 kidneys, cancer, meningitis, 1 heart attack and its long and not that interesting! Maybe one day I'll write a book.! `

I have an eclectic taste in music, I fly kites, I read, write, tog, blog and have a bit of a passion for multicellular eukaryotes, and kites.

Founder of Kites4Kidneys - Start making your kites for WKD 2015..
https://www.facebook.com/kites4kidneys
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #233 on: June 12, 2014, 08:55:33 PM »

That made me laugh. Thanks.

And for what it's worth, your speech was brilliant and lovely and squishy.

awww you're welcome :)

"squishy"? oh dear I'm sorry if you had some sort of accident... (kidding!).

I look forward to more details about what may happen next year.

As for my Chicago "do" - it's another group meet up nothing too mysterious but nothing to do with kidney stuff... aviation geeks :)

Sugarlump
Elite Member

« Reply #234 on: June 16, 2014, 10:58:05 AM »

Does that make us kidney geeks??? :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

10 years of half a life
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Go Up Print 
« previous next »