I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:20:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
| | |-+  why i take antibiotics before dentist
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: why i take antibiotics before dentist  (Read 4126 times)
happyonhemo

« on: April 28, 2013, 07:51:09 AM »

In my late 20's after I had been diagnosed with lupus but before I knew anything about dialysis, I went for a routine teeth cleaning and shortly thereafter was stricken with a high fever.I went to bed and after a couple of days of it only getting worse my young children(5 and 9)finally called 911. After many tests and learning of my dental appt.a few weeks before, I was finally diagnosed with SBE(subacute bacterial endocarditis) which is a bacterial infection in my heart.They said that regular bacteria that's always in your mouth gets into your bloodstream when you bleed during dental work or cleaning and it can latch on to your heart and cause infection. They supposed that lupus had caused a minor rough spot, a burr,on the edge of a valve opening in my heart.It was something that would not bother me otherwise but was a good place to catch bacteria and let it grow. Luckily it was caught in time but to treat it I needed 7 weeks of IV antibiotics 2x a day.They used Gentimycin which is nephrotoxic so after that is when I was told I would need dialysis and then I had my fistula put in. Since then I've had it again twice but not having any dental or other invasive treatments not sure why.Unfortunately dialysis itself could let bacteria into your body but I can't premedicate everytime. I just have to be careful and follow sterile procedures as much as possible also take antibiotics before invasive procedures.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 01:07:03 PM »

I'm sorry to hear all that H.O,H and I hope that those antibiotics keep working for you.

All the best Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 05:13:38 PM »

Just met up with a friend I haven't seen for a couple of months.  He was out of action getting a valve job made necessary by a dentally induced cardiac infection.
renalwife

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 06:59:00 PM »

One hour before my dental appointment, I take 4 Amoxicillin 500 mg capsules  Never have had any bacterial infection.  Ask about premedication with antibiotics.  It works.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »