I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:35:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  Boston Tragedy
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Boston Tragedy  (Read 11058 times)
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« on: April 15, 2013, 03:38:38 PM »

Those poor people who were spectators of the Boston Marathon.  Two dead & that could climb.  Many others wounded.  Pray for these people please.  Such senseless killing.  For what?  People are nuts in this world, and the evil is definately amoung us all.  God help these innocent people.

:pray; :pray; :pray;
lmunchkin

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 03:49:01 PM »

I thought of Patrice immediately.  Okarol, was she running this year?  Have you heard from her?

(For those who don't know the story, Okarol's daughter Jenna received a living donor transplant from Patrice, who promptly went back to training for the Boston Marathon after she recovered from the donation surgery.)

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2013, 07:08:33 PM »

Since almost all of my American network television comes from Boston, that's all that's been on the tv all day.  I finally had to shut it off, as I just couldn't handle watching it anymore.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2013, 07:40:59 PM »

Karol just sent me a message on FB - Patrice is safe.   :cuddle;

Riki, I agree with you - you can only handle so much of it in living color without losing it.  I had to do the same thing in the days after 9-11.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 08:16:57 PM »

:pray;

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
skg

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2013, 09:20:10 PM »

My wife found and shared this with me -- I like it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/patton-oswalt/patton-oswalt_b_3088337.html

cheers,
skg
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 06:29:51 AM »

See it is not guns or bombs or knives.  It is NUT JOBS and we need to have severe consequences.  The media is still calling that guy who shot Gabby Gifford  "The Alleged Killer."  No, 50 people SAW him do it and they wrestled him to the ground.  Why have a trial?

Scary that this happened.  Many of those peoples' lives are forever changed.....     >:(

BattleScars

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 06:06:45 PM »

This tragedy really hit close to home. My wife works in the city of Boston and was too afraid to take the train home last night with all the madness going on. I drove in to pick her up. I actually put off doing my exchanges yesterday because I was so consumed by stress. Praying for everyone who was injured. 
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2013, 11:51:02 PM »

Shiz going down in Boston right now.  Cop at MIT killed, then carjacking, now a search in a sleepy neighborhood with several explosions and lots of gunshots.  They're not sure if it's related to the bombings or not

I'm watching ABC in Boston right now
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 11:53:02 PM by Riki » Logged

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
lmunchkin
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 05:53:36 PM »

Just got in custody the younger brother.  Sad, they didnt kill him too.  Now we have got to go through years of trials.  I really wish he had met his Older brothers fate.

Does anyone really think they did this alone!  In my gut, Im thinking "No".  I hope Im wrong, but I can't help but wonder.!

Thank you Jesus, and please keep Boston in your care! Bring them Closure!
lmunchkin :kickstart;

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 09:35:07 PM »

I'm glad they didn't kill him because now we have the chance to get information from him.

Maybe Jesus saved him for a reason.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2013, 10:09:35 PM »

yeah, I agree with MooseMom.. I'm surprised at how many people wish that he'd been killed along with his older brother.  We would never get any answers that way

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 12:30:45 AM »

Waterboard HIM!  He will talk! 

:waiting; 

Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2013, 03:46:59 AM »

It will be interesting to see if the feds pursue the death penalty, or if he is given a pass out of fear of angering the Muslim population.
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2013, 06:41:07 AM »

string him up by his balls

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2013, 07:00:32 AM »

It will be interesting to see if the feds pursue the death penalty, or if he is given a pass out of fear of angering the Muslim population.

I was wondering this myself as I'm always sorta interested in the legal side of things like this.  This crime was committed by American citizens on American soil in Massachusettes, and that state does not have a death penalty.  He will be tried in Mass., although maybe not in the Boston area.  Finding jury members will be difficult.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2013, 09:48:04 AM »

I'm thinking he will blame his older brother for everything.  His older brother sucked him into helping but he didn't really want to blah blah blah.  In their faith ..... do they have to respect the eldest male?   

I heard his older brother was a really good boxer and made it to the National finals but could not go because he was a "Foreigner"   I'm sure that pissed him off against America. 

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2013, 10:09:55 AM »

I'm thinking he will blame his older brother for everything.  His older brother sucked him into helping but he didn't really want to blah blah blah.  In their faith ..... do they have to respect the eldest male?   

I heard his older brother was a really good boxer and made it to the National finals but could not go because he was a "Foreigner"   I'm sure that pissed him off against America.

He may try to blame his older brother for everything, but that won't make an effective defense.

A lot of young men feel alienated for whatever reason.  Frankly, it would make me feel bad if I couldn't enter a competition just because I was not a "native".  I've lived abroad for a long time, and I can understand the feeling of always being made to feel different and unwelcomed.  Doesn't mean I'd go out and kill people, though!

Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2013, 11:54:50 AM »

I was wondering this myself as I'm always sorta interested in the legal side of things like this.  This crime was committed by American citizens on American soil in Massachusettes, and that state does not have a death penalty.  He will be tried in Mass., although maybe not in the Boston area.  Finding jury members will be difficult.
You are correct that MA does not have a dealth penalty, however, he could be tried on federal charges in federal court and get the needle.    The Oklahomber bomber was executed by the federal system after conviction in federal court.

Also, federal jurisdiction would mean that the trial would not necessarily have to happen in MA.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 11:56:04 AM by Simon Dog » Logged
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2013, 02:18:22 PM »

We as a nation are going to have to be very careful here.  It is in cases like these that show the world whether we walk the walk or merely talk the talk.  I am very uncomfortable with the fact that he has not yet been read his Miranda rights.  Maybe it was because he was too severely wounded to have heard them, anyway, and he will be read his rights once he has recovered a bit more.  I am worried that political hawks and a baying public will demand that he be labelled an "enemy combatant", thus denying him a lawyer and other legal rights held by US citizens.

The prosecution is going to have to give indisputable evidence of what he did as opposed to what his brother did.

It's going to be fascinating to see how our legal system will work.  I hope we all will do ourselves proud.  We tell ourselves that this is the best country in the world.  Now is a chance for us to prove it.

lmunchkin
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2013, 12:32:10 PM »

I know what I saw on films over & over & over again.  There was no Set up here.  The brothers did it.  I don't care about the physcological aspects of the whys.  I care more for those who innocently died without warning.  Timothy McFey (?) was put to death and so should this young man.  No body makes you do anything!  If it had been me, I would have said NO and died with those convictions still in tact. 

Now, we are going to let this creep live.  MM, I just dont understand the Walk the walk and talk the talk, as this yound guy killed innnocent people along with his brother.  I don't care that they were Muslum, Catholics, non-believers or what!  They killed people here!  If it was done in this country or not, they Killed people.  The elder got his justice, now the younger should also.  I don't know if Jesus saved him or Man saved him.  I believe it was man that saved him just to satisfy their couriosity as to "WHY" this was done.  Who cares, he did it and should die for what he did.

America is a melting pot in my opinion.  We are all very different in our own cultures. Some believe one way and others believe another way, and some don't believe in anything at all.  If we have a group that wants things one way but the other doesnt, what is the solution?  This country is no different than other countries around the world.  We have no right to show an example to other country's nor do they have a right to point fingers at us. We just have more "things " than most countries. That doesnt give us right of passage or make us any better than them. America is not as strong as it use to be. We collectively, do not stand for anything anymore.  We use to all be one, but now have come a group of many cultures. Thats fine, but we shouldnt just let one person take the life of another and expect it to be all Okay.  There should be consequencys for what we do. It is not the same as it use to be, MM.  It has totally changed even in just my lifetime.

We must understand, that there are still people in other country's that despise us and want to destroy us. But what about the one's in our own country.  It is a mixed culture in USA at our insistents.  We allowed this to happen.  We weren't expecting them to come and plot mass destruction, but they are here and that is what they do.  Our rule of Law has become weak over the years.  Now we are more Pansies than Soldiers with a cause!             
I will continue to be Blessed in my small life.  I will gladly share with others if they want. But I know, that Iam very much opposed in my views, and that's okay too.

It's no secret as to my belief in God of The Bible.  I believe he no longer has a Protective Hand on America, but does have his people who believe & accept Christ Jesus under protection.  We will all die, that is given, but we (believers) know that we are Blessed beyond Measure, and will be with Christ in Heaven!  That is our comfort. That is our Goal! That is our reward!! We believers are not shocked at all by Satan.  He is very powerful on Earth.  But he too, will burn in Hell forever & ever and those who follow him will burn too.  They will not be able to die, they will beg for water and we who are in heaven, will not be able to give it to them.  Imagine, being burnt forever & ever!  Even if you think that this is not true, what if it is?  Why take that chance!  I would be a FOOL not to follow Christ Jesus.  I don't have to see to believe, I have the Apostles (?) to read and their account of that time when Jesus lived on earth.

I just think that since these brothers did this horrible thing to innocent people, they should die as their punishment!  Actually, as a Believer, he should die as he caused death.  Slowly bleed to death, and ask Jesus in His Heart and forgive him for what he has done, but, its my understanding, the muslims don't believe Jesus Died for their sins.  He was just another teacher.  If Jesus did spare this young man, it is for him to call on Him for Salvation, period!!!!  And acknowledge Christ as the One True God!

I don't hate these young men.  Let me be clear on that, but I don't like the sin that they commited by killing innocent life.  To me, death would be better than to live without consequences, IMHO.

With the Love of Christ,

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2013, 05:04:22 PM »

Lmunchkin, I don't happen to believe that death is the ultimate punishment.

I don't think this young man was allowed to live merely out of "curiosity".  The FBI was quite adamant, as have been many in Congress and our security forces, that he be taken alive if at all possible.  It is better for our national security to find out why these two men did what they did and if they were a part of a larger organization.  No one with any real knowledge of this case seems to think anything other than they acted on their own. 

You know I love you, lmunchkin, but I disagree most emphatically, though gently, with just about everything in your post.  LOL!  I'd go into great detail about why, but one, I'm too tired to do so, and two, I'm not sure it really matters what I think!  :cuddle;

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2013, 07:40:02 PM »

I'm sure the families of the victims want to know the whys.  They want to know what the reasons that these 2 did what they did.  I know this from first hand experience.  Unfortunately, the man who killed my best friend is deranged, and didn't even take the stand in his own defense at the trial.  We never knew the reasons why he killed her, and for the families of the 4 people who were killed, and the multitudes of people who were injured, they may suffer the same fate.  We may never know why they did what they did, but taking them alive means that they can be questioned, and more details can be discovered.  Maybe he'll talk, maybe he won't.  But if he'd been killed, there would be no answers.

As for the death penalty, I don't believe in it.  I don't believe it is up to us to judge the fate of any person, no matter what their crimes may be.  God is the ultimate judge, and we are not God, no matter what religion (if any) we follow.  The death penalty is revenge, and in killing them, we are no better than those who have committed the crimes.

Yes, the man who killed Chrystal is still alive.  We don't have the death penalty in this country, and I'm glad we don't.  As far as I know, he's in a maximum security prision in Ontario, and that's where he will stay for the rest of his life.

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
lmunchkin
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2013, 05:45:57 PM »

Well I believe if you deliberately take some ones life with intent, then your life should be taken also.  Now the mother is claiming they were set up because of their faith, but the young man is saying he & his brother did it and found inspiration from a Jihad film they watched.  He said no other parties were envolved.

Now what?  How many on here think Tim McVey should still be living or Ossma Bin Loden?  Should our tax dollars go towards keeping them alive?  I dont think so, but thats just me!   Its my understanding that our Gov't was tipped off about the older brother by Soviet Union.  Why was that not taken more seriously? Maybe we need to find out "why" on that instead of the why as to setting those bombs off.  The young brother confessed and said why, but why isn't the FBI or CIA or Homeland Security being questioned on this? Seems to me they very well could have prevented this. 

We all make mistakes for sure, but ones like this should not go unnoticed.  Has anyone noticed how crazy things have become in the USA over the past 15yrs.  How screwed up things are now.  Anyone know "why"?  I would say "Satan", but that is my belief.  What do you say?

God Bless,

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2013, 06:54:53 PM »

Well I believe if you deliberately take some ones life with intent, then your life should be taken also. 

That's revenge.  Again, I don't believe it's up to us to judge the fate and take the lives of others, even if they have killed people.  Taking their lives brings us down to their level.  God is the ultimate judge, and we should not be doing His job.  When it comes to religion, I'm not an Atheist (obviously), but I don't believe in organized religion either.  i find them too cult-ish, and I was brought up Catholic, so I know cult-ish religion. *L*  I don't believe that my faith in God needs to be conveyed by me numbing my butt in a wooden pew every Sunday.

I'm not really sure what's happening to the US these days.  i do think that maybe faith has taken the place of common sense with some people.  Take the same sex marriage issue for example.  Those who are against it all say that it is against what God intended.  How are we to know what God intended?  It's not like he made gay people and then said, "oops, I didn't mean to do that."  If we are all here for a reason, perhaps for the LGBT community, they are here to change faith based thinking to more of a common sense outlook.

I think with some terrorists, they do have a legitimate grievance.  Those in the Middle East certainly do, and not just against the US, but against Britain and Canada too.  They see us as the terrorists, who came into their countries and blew them to pieces.  The ordinary people of Afghanistan didn't have anything to do with 9/11, but their country still got the crap bombed out of it.  Same with Iraq.  They were finally getting back on track after the last Gulf war, and in come the Americans and their bombs.  I can see why some there would be a little PO'd at the US.

Tim McVey was a nutbar who was in Waco, Texas during the standoff between law enforcement (FBI? I don't remember for sure) and David Koresh.  He believed the conspiracy theories about the government starting the fire that killed those people.  He was just looking for a target, and he found one in Oklahoma City.  He was tried and convicted in a court of law, as I'm sure Dzhokhar Tsarnaev will be.  They are both American citizens, and they both have the right to that trial.  If his brother hadn't died, he'd probably have been charged as well.

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »