I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:01:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  Hep C and Dialysis (and Diabetes, and Kidney Cyst...)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hep C and Dialysis (and Diabetes, and Kidney Cyst...)  (Read 10885 times)
frankswife

« on: March 21, 2013, 07:57:52 PM »

Apparently Frank doesn't have enough challenges and needs one more. He has been positive for Hep C a long time, neither one of us are sure how long or how he got it. He thinks from blood he got transfused in the late 80's. His viral load was low and he had an ok liver biopsy in 2008. He had bloodwork done last week as part of the transplant listing process and apparently the viral load is now very high. They want him to see a heptologist and get another liver biopsy. From all I'm reading, there is really no acceptable Hep C treatment for dialysis patients. Has anyone gone through this? What happens if his liver is damaged? Can a relative give him a piece of thier liver? They regenerate, right? Oh God, I know I'm probably getting ahead of myself here but I'm panicking. Again. I guess we should have expected this. Nothing ever goes right for him. I would appreciate any advice.

"If we all abandon our posts, who then will stand?" St. Augustine
smcd23

The patient, the baby and the donor - October 2010

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 08:10:53 PM »

A relative could give him a piece of the liver, I am not 100% on it regenerating (I feel like it does, though) but I know it is entirely possible. I am not sure if they'd transplant him a liver though with the Hep C and other conditions. I know when my husband had his first transplant he was in the same room with a guy who had Hep C and a liver transplant, and he was basically there because the liver was rejecting or failing, and he could not get listed for another liver because of the Hep C. I am not sure if that would hold true for someone with a living donor (and please remember I am not saying any of this to scare or discourage you!)

They can't do interferon treatments on dialysis patients?

And don't get too worried just yet (and I know that's impossible but try!) because you can have acute and chronic Hep C attacks. And it could be he has something else going on and is in the midst of an acute attack and his liver is still okay. I assume he gets blood work done through dialysis, they haven't been or don't check his liver when they do monthly draws?

Please try not to worry too much until you have more testing done. I know, that's hard but you gotta try!  :cuddle; Hang in there!

Caregiver to Husband with ESRD.

1995 - Diagnosed with vesicoureteral reflux and had surgery to repair at age 11. Post surgery left side still had Stage I VUR, right side was okay. Both sides were underdeveloped.
2005 - Discovered renal function was declining, causing HBP. Regular monitoring began.

March 2008 - Started transplant evaluation for preemptive transplant due to declining function.

September 16, 2008 - Transplanted with my kidney.
September 18, 2008 - Kidney was removed due to thrombosis in the vessels in and leading to the kidney.

October 2008 - Listed in Region I

May 2009 - Started in Center Hemo
January 2010 - Started CCPD on Liberty Cycler

June 15, 2012 - Kidney transplant from a 43 year old deceased donor
June 22, 2012 - Major acute rejection episode and hospitalization began
June 27, 2012 - Nephrectomy to remove kidney after complete HLA antibody rejection. Possibly not eligible for another transplant, ever again.

Now what?
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 08:19:54 PM »

The liver does regenerate, and very quickly apparently. I hope it doesn't come to the need for a liver transplant, though. They absolutely will do liver transplants on HepC patients - I do believe it is the number one cause for needing a liver transplant in the first place. It will depend on whether he could pass a liver transplant eval.

I'm so sorry this is happening and I hope there is a positive solution out there for him. Keep consulting with doctors until you find the right one that will guide you through this. Good luck.  :grouphug;

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
smcd23

The patient, the baby and the donor - October 2010

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 08:24:38 PM »

Yeah I just asked Tony and he said the guy had multiple organ failure - kidney rejecting AND Hep C that had effected his liver, and there was no way he could get a liver quick enough or something, he had a lot of things going on, the Hep C just complicated matters for the poor guy. Tony of course has foggy memory of it all because he was in the middle of losing my kidney and I was already discharged, but I remember Tony's sister spent a bit of time talking to him, and it really just broke my heart hearing about it after, poor guy.

I am with Cariad - Keep talking with the doctors. Once he has the biopsy and some actual answers as to what is going on, do your homework and make sure the doctors know you've done your homework. Don't lose hope or worry too much until you know that there is definitely something to worry about.  :cuddle;

Caregiver to Husband with ESRD.

1995 - Diagnosed with vesicoureteral reflux and had surgery to repair at age 11. Post surgery left side still had Stage I VUR, right side was okay. Both sides were underdeveloped.
2005 - Discovered renal function was declining, causing HBP. Regular monitoring began.

March 2008 - Started transplant evaluation for preemptive transplant due to declining function.

September 16, 2008 - Transplanted with my kidney.
September 18, 2008 - Kidney was removed due to thrombosis in the vessels in and leading to the kidney.

October 2008 - Listed in Region I

May 2009 - Started in Center Hemo
January 2010 - Started CCPD on Liberty Cycler

June 15, 2012 - Kidney transplant from a 43 year old deceased donor
June 22, 2012 - Major acute rejection episode and hospitalization began
June 27, 2012 - Nephrectomy to remove kidney after complete HLA antibody rejection. Possibly not eligible for another transplant, ever again.

Now what?
frankswife

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 05:42:09 PM »

Update on the liver situation. Turns out Frank's liver is relatively ok. Very little scarring detected. Now the doctor wants Frank to decide whether to treat the hep c or leave it. Apparently the treatment is 6-8 months long and very grueling, and worse for those on dialysis because they have to use different drugs than non-kidney patients. At the end of those months, he MAY be free of the virus. No guarantee. He's thinking, and leaning towards doing it.

boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 08:00:24 PM »

its so hard when things just keep commen at ya.  I watch so many on here take it with ease, and i guess we did too but im finding myself falling harder each time and not having the great attitude i used to have :(  How do you feel about it?  I know its his dission but what do you lean towards?  Is it effecting him enough to want to go for it??  I'd be interested to hear how this goes with you guys.  blessings, and all the best to you....

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 02:22:37 AM »

frankswife , that is good news. I should imagine he will get lots of advise from his neph about what to do. Take care.
frankswife

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 02:50:02 AM »

Jill, I'd love to see him free of the virus, I just wish we knew that the treatment would do it for sure. The doc says it's about a 60% chance. He has no symptoms at all from the virus, and apparently the more sophisticated testing the heptologist did showed Frank's viral load is not as big as we were originally told. And also the treatment is really, REALLY bad, the doc couldn't stress that enough. It's a hard one, for sure.

Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 04:26:44 PM »

I got a liver biopsy 30 years ago that showed I had Hep C.  Last month I got the new biopsy test.  I was Stage One!  My doctor was amazed.  I've been taking "Liver Restore" and a super strong milk thistle.   I'm waiting for a protocol for treating Hep C if on dialysis.  The FDA hasn't made one yet, so the doctor
said come back in six months.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 08:51:25 AM »

There are a couple of new drugs that have a 99% cure rate for certain types of Hep-C.   I don't know if they are contraindicated in dialsyis patients, but the course of treatment runs about $95K.  It's been estimated that if everyone on the US who could benefit got these drugs, the cost of these drugs alone would exceed the entire current Medicare drug budget for the country.
big777bill

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 06:07:49 AM »

Frankswife I just finished 6 months of Harvoni treatment for hep-c. I was clear after 3 weeks! I had a liver transplant on March 22, 2005 which was brought on by hep-c causing my liver to get cirrhosis.
I'm not going to go through all the trouble this caused but it almost killed me. By Feb. of 2012 I had to start dialysis, the prograf caused my kidneys to fail.  After going through evaluation for kidney transplant the Drs told me my liver was getting bad again from the hep-c. After a transplant the hep-c does not leave your body and it started to effect my liver after a month. We needed to get rid of the hep-c. My team of hepatologists finally decided to put me on Harvoni under close supervision. Blood work every week. They had never treated a dialysis patient for hep-c before. The treatment was hard on me but I was able to do the 6 months. Anemic the whole time and that was with taking EPO and iron regularly. Headaches and extreme fatigue. I had 4 hospital stays but it's all behind me now! Now we wait for labs at the 1, 3 and 6 month post treatment intervals. If I keep showing no detectable hep-c virus they will declare me cured! Hep-c almost took my life but I fought it for 30 years blow for blow. It won many battles but it looks like I might just win the war!

liver transplant 3/22/2005
CKD 2008

fistula 11/17/2011
 catheter 2/07/2012
 started  hemo-dialysis in center 2/07/2012
 fistula transposition 3/08/2012
 NxStage at home  3/29/2012
 Using fistula at home 6/25/2012
 Using new NxStage S High-Flow cycler 3/04/2014
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 06:58:05 AM »

Congratulations.   Did you manage to get private insurance or Medicare to pay for the Harvoni and, if so, how much of a fight did you have to put up?
big777bill

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 03:18:49 PM »

Medicare part D paid part of it and the rest was covered by different charities and whatnot. My liver Drs took care of all of the calls and setting it up for me. It was at least 2 months to get approval for 3 months then when I was close to the 3 month mark they approved the next 3 months.

liver transplant 3/22/2005
CKD 2008

fistula 11/17/2011
 catheter 2/07/2012
 started  hemo-dialysis in center 2/07/2012
 fistula transposition 3/08/2012
 NxStage at home  3/29/2012
 Using fistula at home 6/25/2012
 Using new NxStage S High-Flow cycler 3/04/2014
frankswife

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 07:53:59 AM »

Frank has an appt with his heptologist on the 17th to see about starting treatment. Medicare is primary and our private insurance secondary for him, so I'm hoping there's no problem covering the treatment course.

Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 09:07:54 AM »

Frank has an appt with his heptologist on the 17th to see about starting treatment. Medicare is primary and our private insurance secondary for him, so I'm hoping there's no problem covering the treatment course.
The treatment course is about $95K for three months worth of pills (Harvoni is about $1k/pill).

If you are willing to travel to India to visit a pharmacy, my MD tells he Harvoni goes for $4 a pill in that country.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »