I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:21:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  Hubby Eats whatever he wants - how can this be?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hubby Eats whatever he wants - how can this be?  (Read 5393 times)
kiddogal

« on: March 08, 2013, 10:23:58 AM »

Hi all.  My husband started dialysis last April.  He is 78 years old, average height and average build, maybe 10 pounds overweight.  the first few months he was on dialysis we really watched what he ate.  After a few months, he started adding in hash browns, tomatoes, nuts, potato chips, ice creams, etc.  - small portions at first and not too often.  The last few months he eats whatever he wants, if he wants it he eats it. Soemtimes he has potato chips and hashbrowns 2-3 times per week.  I finally stopped nagging him (hey, it's his choice!) :stressed;.  He does try to watch his fluid as well as he can.  He does not eat huge portions or overeat.  Every month ALL his labs come back perfectly NORMAL and within range.  How can this be?  ??? I am happy for him but surprised everytime his labs come back! :clap;

EDITED:  Thread moved to proper section:  "Diet and Recipes" - jbeany, Moderator
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 01:35:06 PM by jbeany » Logged
frankswife

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 10:40:47 AM »

Frank is the same way. He has alot of what he calls "childhood trauma" associated with food and he only eats like 7 or 8 different things. And if someone prepares one of those things in a manner he feels is incorrect, he will cross that food off his list permanently. Of course none of these foods are renal friendly, and his labs come back ok all the time. I'm praying it stays that way but I have a feeling it may not.

"If we all abandon our posts, who then will stand?" St. Augustine
Speedy1wrc

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 10:55:55 AM »

Everyone is different and for some, food and/or fluid restrictions are minimal. The first go round I had with dialysis back in 2005 went fine. I could eat and drink pretty much anything and my labs were always perfect. I started again last March and I have to be positively strict in my diet and especially fluid intake. My labs can go South easily if I am not extremely careful. Even when I am watching my self well I can still end up with issues. I do the best I can to keep myself healthy and that's the best any of us can do.

His labs are the big key, if they're good he's doing ok with his dietary habits. That said, he can seemingly do better if he really sticks to his prescribed diet plan. Make sure to keep an eye on the significant lab values and make sure he doesn't get behind the 8 ball.
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 11:30:40 AM »

I am in the same situation. I still have residual renal function (I still pee, and more than just a little) and I do short daily home hemo.  So I don't have to watch my potassium very much, it is always within range.  Phos, I have to be a little more careful with but if I take my binders and don't go overboard, I can pretty much eat what I please. 

HOWEVER, I would NEVER recommend this to anyone other than myself.  We all have to know ourselves, our labs and how our bodies respond to food.
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 02:46:18 PM »

If it works for him, then it works. Hopefully it continues for him. I would say not to brag around other dialysis patients. People get sensitive.

Have you seen the lab results? Not to imply anything about your hubby but some dialysis patients fib.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 04:06:06 PM »

Kidneys have multiple functions, and they fail at different rates for different people.  Kidneys clear fluid, clear toxins, and clear various minerals as they build up.  Making the hormone that tells your bone marrow to make red blood cells is another function.  Personally, I lost the hormone production a decade before the toxin clearing dropped low enough to need D.  Your husband's kidney is likely still clearing some things, just not all. 

Also, as long as the K and phos are in low doses, spread out over time, the treatments may be clearing things in a timely fashion as well.  Your husband's treats 2-3 times a week are likely small enough and spread out enough that they are not affecting his function.  None of the things on the "forbidden" list are really forbidden - they are just meant to be severely limited!  (Well, except for starfruit, which will kill you.)

Just remember to keep an eye on the long term trends - his kidneys may gradually get worse, and he may have to go back to restricting things if it affects his labs.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 05:09:01 AM »

ya know, i really do not follow the renal diet at all sometimes, i mean, i usually try to avoid stuff i know is bad, but my family doesnt really follow anything in that reguard, so if they are cooking--- i eat what they eat. (i know, i shouldnt do that, but ive told them all what i can and cant have, they still do what they want...) and quite honestly, sometimes i crave certain things, and i feel that if ive been good i should be able to treat myself.
Considering, since i got out of the hospital the last time, ive been extremely bad (i eat when im stressed, and right now im very very stressed) and when i say bad, I mean, BAD... my labs really arent ...terrible. i mean, they definitely arent great... but they should be terrible... i was shocked they werent. they are just a wee bit higher than they would like to see.
i do still pee, some... not nearly enough. maybe it has something to do with it? who knows...
all i know is, i do intend to be better now that i know my labs are higher than they like. i just wish the stress thing would be over lol its hard not to eat when ur stressed

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
geoffcamp

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 06:40:26 AM »

I've been on dialysis for more than 10 years and I have never followed a "renal diet". I eat what I want in moderation and take my binders along with being completely compliant with dialysis and meds and it seems to work for me. My labs are perfect and I feel great 90% of the time. I think like others say everyone is different, I feel lucky to enjoy the food I enjoy and feel good. Of course I never add salt or anything like that. I usually eat smaller portions when I can also. The only thing to watch out for is weight gain between treatments, you do not want to be pulling off 6 kilos every treatment!!!  Other than that it works for some and doesn't for others. If he can pull it off great if not strongly consider following a diet. G.

Geoffrey Campbell
Diagnosed with ESRD at 26
Transplanted in 1999 rejected 2001
In center hemodialysis since late 2001 3X a week 4 hours late evening 3rd shift
kiddogal

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 07:52:13 AM »

Thanks for all the feedback.  I had forgot to mention that my husband still urinates some, but not as much as before he started dialysis.  He does not take binders.  I see his lab results because his vision is poor and he cannot read them.  Just happy he can still eat a normal diet for the moment - as the cook around here, trying to adhere to a "renal diet" plan really is not the easiet thing to do!
noahvale
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 07:57:36 AM »

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 06:20:34 PM by noahvale » Logged
Abdiel

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2013, 06:25:31 AM »

In his age he can't really eat like that i mean the way you are telling.It's somehow normal but taking that kind of stuff on daily basis isn't correct.I personally feel he need a diet plan.stuff like ice cream,too much of meat,isn't good for him can make him gain the weight and can cause diabetes so tell him to eat things in moderation and a specific meal not everything he founds.

amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2013, 06:57:33 AM »

Abdiel, he's 78 for goodness sake.  From a renal perspective, results are within normal parameters.  Why would someone of 78 worry about issues such as cholesterol etc. if this has not been an issue for the rest of their life, it is not likely to be a problem for their remaining years.  No doubt this gentleman has eaten this diet all his life and got to be 78.  No matter what he does, he only has a life expectancy of a few more years because of his age.  So Kiddogal, I wouldn't worry to much other than if his potassium is out of wack since this can result in fatal heart arythmias, sodium if his BP is high and phosphate ifmhe has brittle bo es alteafy.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »