I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:51:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Medicare/Insurance
| | |-+  Still have insurance from employer but shocked by the weekly charges
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Still have insurance from employer but shocked by the weekly charges  (Read 4433 times)
ebh045

« on: March 04, 2013, 12:09:38 PM »

Started dialysis 3 times a week with Fresenius on Jan 28, 2013.  out on disability from work for 5 weeks to adjust.   have employer insurance but shocked
with the weekly charges -$20K a week billed my insurance pllus the lab work $600 per week  done by the lab "owned" by freseniius.   No payments have been made to fresenius since there is a negotiated rate.   
I guess this the cost shifting that the insurance companies experience for 30 months before the Medicare rates kick in.
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 12:14:50 PM »

Yep.  I'm still on my employer insurance as primary.  Even doing home hemo, the bills are astronomical.  Of course, the rates are negotiated like you said and a bunch is cut off the top.  But then the fact that appalls me is that they still want you as the insured to pay an outrageous co-pay.  I've often wanted to tell them to take their co-pay and stuff it because they are already getting a huge amount compared to what they get for Medicare patients.  But since I don't have the energy to fight, I just pay it off little by little.
smcd23

The patient, the baby and the donor - October 2010

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 06:48:46 PM »

I look at the EOB's from my insurance, which is now secondary to my husbands Medicare. I am so thankful that my insurance pays 100% of what Medicare doesn't, up tot he Medicare approved amount. I can't believe the monthly cost of hemo!

Caregiver to Husband with ESRD.

1995 - Diagnosed with vesicoureteral reflux and had surgery to repair at age 11. Post surgery left side still had Stage I VUR, right side was okay. Both sides were underdeveloped.
2005 - Discovered renal function was declining, causing HBP. Regular monitoring began.

March 2008 - Started transplant evaluation for preemptive transplant due to declining function.

September 16, 2008 - Transplanted with my kidney.
September 18, 2008 - Kidney was removed due to thrombosis in the vessels in and leading to the kidney.

October 2008 - Listed in Region I

May 2009 - Started in Center Hemo
January 2010 - Started CCPD on Liberty Cycler

June 15, 2012 - Kidney transplant from a 43 year old deceased donor
June 22, 2012 - Major acute rejection episode and hospitalization began
June 27, 2012 - Nephrectomy to remove kidney after complete HLA antibody rejection. Possibly not eligible for another transplant, ever again.

Now what?
frankswife

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 06:25:11 PM »

I'm racking up copays of $25 each time Frank dialyzes. $75 a week. No way we can pay it so I'm just kinda ignoring it. I don't know what else to do. They havent said anything yet.

"If we all abandon our posts, who then will stand?" St. Augustine
rocker

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2013, 09:03:32 PM »

I can't believe the monthly cost of hemo!

This isn't the monthly "cost" for hemo, this is the monthly bill for hemo.

Big, big, big difference.

This, like all medical bills, is entirely fictional and bears no relationship to anything in the real world.
smcd23

The patient, the baby and the donor - October 2010

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2013, 08:12:40 PM »

No I get that the "cost" is inflated as far as the medical billing goes, but even if it wasn't, the copayment or uncovered amount would still be ridiculous. And unaffordable!

Caregiver to Husband with ESRD.

1995 - Diagnosed with vesicoureteral reflux and had surgery to repair at age 11. Post surgery left side still had Stage I VUR, right side was okay. Both sides were underdeveloped.
2005 - Discovered renal function was declining, causing HBP. Regular monitoring began.

March 2008 - Started transplant evaluation for preemptive transplant due to declining function.

September 16, 2008 - Transplanted with my kidney.
September 18, 2008 - Kidney was removed due to thrombosis in the vessels in and leading to the kidney.

October 2008 - Listed in Region I

May 2009 - Started in Center Hemo
January 2010 - Started CCPD on Liberty Cycler

June 15, 2012 - Kidney transplant from a 43 year old deceased donor
June 22, 2012 - Major acute rejection episode and hospitalization began
June 27, 2012 - Nephrectomy to remove kidney after complete HLA antibody rejection. Possibly not eligible for another transplant, ever again.

Now what?
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 07:38:19 AM »

If you are working Your insurance is primary and the only one for the first 30 days.  Medicare should then be secondary but you have to have your social worker help get you signed up.  Then.... for 30 months your private insurance is primary and Medicare is secondary and you should not pay a dime.  So, don't.  After 30 months the insurances flip flop and if you still have private insurance it will become secondary and Medicare primary.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »