I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:03:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  2013 Academy Awards
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2013 Academy Awards  (Read 3231 times)
Big E

« on: February 25, 2013, 10:10:17 AM »

Did you watch it? I've heard a lot of complaints that it was vulgar and unclassy, but I liked it. I'm not sure what that says about me...

I haven't seen any of the movies yet. I like to wait till they come out on DVD because I'm such a homebody. I want to see Django Unchanged, but I'm not particularly fond of extreme movie violence. At least if I watch it at home I can skip the worst parts.

PKD diagnosed June 1996
Started in-center hemodialysis May 2010
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 07:39:32 PM »

I watched it! And I enjoyed it, too! Does that mean I'm as warped as you are, Big E?  >:D

I've seen 2 of the movies so far - The Silver Linings Playbook and Zero Dark Thirty. I enjoyed both of them. I'm with you in that I don't like extreme movie violence, but Django does look good. If I watch it, I think I'll be like you and do the fast fwd thing.

Other movies I want to see are Flight, Argo, Lincoln and Brave. Oh, and Life of Pi. The cinematography looks absolutely stunning!

KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 08:02:32 PM »

Well, with Seth MacFarlane as host, no one can be all that surprised that some of the jokes were less than tasteful. 

I try to see all of the flicks nominated for Best Picture before the Oscars, but I could never find Amour out here in the 'burbs.  Life of Pi just didn't appeal to me enough to pay to see it, but since I do like Ang Lee's body of work, I'll see it once it is available on Netflix.  I'm not a Quentin T fan, though, so I just couldn't bring myself to see Django Unchained.

I was thrilled that Argo won, but I would have been happy to see a Silver Linings Playbook victory.  I enjoyed Beasts of the Southern Wild but figured it was too "small" to win.  I think that by the time you get to the actual nominated films, all of them are good and deserve praise. 

I watched 5 Broken Cameras, one of the films nominated for Best Documentary and was disappointed that it didn't win.  The Invisible War would have just made me angry, so I chose not to watch that one.

I found Paperman on YouTube; it won for Best Animated Short.  I remember that last year, the nominated Best Animated Shorts and the Best Live Action Shorts were available on OnDemand (That's where I saw The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Lessmore, which is one of the most wonderful things I've ever seen) for a flat fee, so I am really hoping that will be the case again this year.

I adore the movies!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 03:49:34 PM »

Did you watch it?
Nope, never have done. Too many self-congratulary folk for my liking. And it's always the same blasted films for every single category (because there obviously aren't that many films made each year so choice is rather limited ... ) Besides, I don't like being told which film I must see, or must like, or must buy the soundtrack of ...

*grin*

I want to see Django Unchanged, but I'm not particularly fond of extreme movie violence. At least if I watch it at home I can skip the worst parts.
Anyways, my reason for jumping into this thread is that I'm not sure you'll be able to skip the worst parts.  The violence can be sudden, and there is quite a bit of violence/blood/nastiness.  There's one particularly violent and bloody bit which is quite a long scene and it's quite an important scene (in a way).  I think you'll have to grin and bear it (and hide behind a cushion at certain points) if you want to get the full effect of the film, in the manner that Tarantino wanted.

;D

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 04:27:31 PM »

Poppy, do you never watch the BAFTAS?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 08:21:42 AM »

Poppy, do you never watch the BAFTAS?
Nope.  To be honest, I don't watch any awards ceremonies.  I used to watch the Brits but I've even given up on those. They just do nothing for me, except make me grumble and whine. Maybe I'm just jealous of other folks success and wealth ...

;D

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »