I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:28:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Saunas as co-treatment
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Saunas as co-treatment  (Read 7947 times)
Deanne
Elite Member

« on: February 23, 2007, 01:28:14 PM »

Does anyone know if saunas have been studied as a co-treatment? Sweat elminates water, salts and waste products. I know it can't replace dialysis, but for some (like me, who aren't yet on dialysis), it seems like it could be helpful to reduce potassium & such. Darnit -- I just wanna drink milk again!

Deanne

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
stauffenberg
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 01:39:34 PM »

The skin has been called "a second kidney" because, as you point out, it does have the characteristic of a filter removing toxins from the blood.  In the days before dialysis was available, and even today in some third world countries, physicians can still observe the phenomenon of 'uremic frost,' in which the skin becomes covered with a thin, whitish layer of impurities filtered out of the blood by the skin after the kidneys have shut down.  However, this is only after a long period without dialysis, and it is usually a sign of impending death, since the skin is not as good at removing toxins as the kidneys are!

Some patients have tried saunas as a way to take off excess fluid more gradually than hemodialysis allows, thus avoiding hypotensive collapse during dialysis.  However, any procedure that removes fluids will also increase thirst and reduce blood pressure, so saunas are not all that effective, because if you have the sauna treatment too soon before dialysis, you will drink back the fluid you have lost, or if you have it just before dialysis, you will make your blood pressure prone to collapse.  I have a sauna room in my house and while I was  on dialysis I used it for fluid removal, but found it was not very effective, for the reasons mentioned.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 01:41:10 PM »

Does anyone know if saunas have been studied as a co-treatment? Sweat elminates water, salts and waste products. I know it can't replace dialysis, but for some (like me, who aren't yet on dialysis), it seems like it could be helpful to reduce potassium & such. Darnit -- I just wanna drink milk again!

Deanne
Man I wish I had access to one as I AM on dialysis but always am thirsty! I am with you Deanne! I want to drink Milk again! It is my favourite thing in the whole world! lol  :2thumbsup; :clap;

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
bluedove57

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 07:26:06 PM »

:P I Deanne, I'm one who likes my fluids and finds this the hardest part of being a dialysis patient. Because I can't have much of it I want it. I miss my chocolate milk and my chocolate shakes. They were my favorites. I cheat every now and then but take binders with it. I miss being normal. Oh well, life goes on.  :banghead;
Triker

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 08:52:57 PM »

The skin has been called "a second kidney" because, as you point out, it does have the characteristic of a filter removing toxins from the blood.  In the days before dialysis was available, and even today in some third world countries, physicians can still observe the phenomenon of 'uremic frost,' in which the skin becomes covered with a thin, whitish layer of impurities filtered out of the blood by the skin after the kidneys have shut down.  However, this is only after a long period without dialysis, and it is usually a sign of impending death, since the skin is not as good at removing toxins as the kidneys are!

Some patients have tried saunas as a way to take off excess fluid more gradually than hemodialysis allows, thus avoiding hypotensive collapse during dialysis.  However, any procedure that removes fluids will also increase thirst and reduce blood pressure, so saunas are not all that effective, because if you have the sauna treatment too soon before dialysis, you will drink back the fluid you have lost, or if you have it just before dialysis, you will make your blood pressure prone to collapse.  I have a sauna room in my house and while I was  on dialysis I used it for fluid removal, but found it was not very effective, for the reasons mentioned.

Shucks, I was wanting to find a sauna, so I could cheat a little and have a big tall glass of iced tea, or even ice water. Just anything, cold and refreshing.! I did notice that in the heat of summer I was able to get away with a little more fluid. I wear black caps often in the summer while riding my motorcycle. I get white stains on my black caps and shirts. I always thought it was salt.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 09:16:11 PM by Triker » Logged
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 08:55:59 PM »

I had wondered about this myself and really thought I had invented a new medical miracle for "Skin Dialysis".  My Nephrologist told me that was stupid.  (Then I knew I was really on to something!)   ;)

Very nice explanation Stauffenburg.   :thumbup;
« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 08:58:05 PM by Rerun » Logged

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2007, 03:01:41 AM »

A guy in my unit uses the sauna to sweat out excess fluid.. he went from 5 over one session to 1.5 over the next....

hmm I have a sauna in my building!!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2007, 06:32:13 AM »

Actually such stuff will help.

Uremic frost is where urea and other nitrogenous waste products accumulate in the sweat glands and when one sweats they crystallize after evaporation upon the skin.

Normally sweating doesn't release a whole lot of toxins but research has shown that dialysis patients tend to release much more toxins over healthy people when they sweat. 

If one works up a pretty good sweat during exercise to soak the clothes they may notice a ammonia smell to it.

I lose excess fluid through exercise and I am not more thirsty than normal, so I am not sure why being in a sauna would be any different.  However all people are different and it may affect them differently. 

I wouldnt suggest going into a sauna trying to lose 5 kilos but if one was to hit the sauna the next day after dialysis and was only trying to lose a kilo or so then I personally would not see much of a problem with bp.

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2007, 08:56:02 AM »

Actually such stuff will help.

Uremic frost is where urea and other nitrogenous waste products accumulate in the sweat glands and when one sweats they crystallize after evaporation upon the skin.

Normally sweating doesn't release a whole lot of toxins but research has shown that dialysis patients tend to release much more toxins over healthy people when they sweat. 

If one works up a pretty good sweat during exercise to soak the clothes they may notice a ammonia smell to it.

I lose excess fluid through exercise and I am not more thirsty than normal, so I am not sure why being in a sauna would be any different.  However all people are different and it may affect them differently. 

I wouldnt suggest going into a sauna trying to lose 5 kilos but if one was to hit the sauna the next day after dialysis and was only trying to lose a kilo or so then I personally would not see much of a problem with bp.

Big Sky - You are so smart!  Are you a doctor in disguise?    :angel;

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 11:11:06 AM »

This is from: http://www.finlandiasauna.com/sauna-history.html
Helps with kidney function
Sauna bathing can augment proper kidney function. Perspiration through the skin’s pores excretes a good amount of the body’s
wastes and reduces the load put on the kidneys. Sweating is such an effective detoxifier that some doctors recommend Sauna
usage to supplement persons on kidney dialysis.

http://www.emedicine.com/derm/topic550.htm
Re: Dermatologic Manifestations of Renal Disease
Therapeutic options, which are inconsistently helpful, include emollients to alleviate xerosis, augmentation of dialysis efficacy,
normalization of serum calcium and phosphate levels, and parathyroidectomy. For some, sedating antihistamines and sauna therapy
may provide temporary relief.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 11:24:43 AM by okarol » Logged

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 01:44:42 PM »

Just waaaaay too much time spend reading stuff on the internet. Also I spend my time on dialysis reading the Nephrology Nursing books up at the unit.   ;)  Sad isn't it. :beer1;
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 01:59:15 PM by BigSky » Logged
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 02:09:09 PM »

Just waaaaay too much time spend reading stuff on the internet. Also I spend my time on dialysis reading the Nephrology Nursing books up at the unit.   ;)  Sad isn't it. :beer1;
lol that is usually ALL the have tho isn't that right? ;) lol you get bored enough you read just about ANYTHING ;) I have read them as well!  :beer1;

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
PaulBC

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2015, 02:05:07 PM »

I noticed this ancient thread, and it covered some of my questions about the usefulness of sweating to augment dialysis. This seems like a useful thing to keep in mind, not as a substitute for dialysis, but just to have a reserve tool for fluid and electrolyte management. A sauna might not be the best approach (for reasons noted above, especially if it leads to more thirst) but it seems like a good reason to stay active as much as possible. I remember that we received an emergency plan for what to do if dialysis is unavailable (e.g. in a power outage) and it was basically limit consumption to one little bottle of water and a few snacks. That may be fine, but if it helps to sweat, shouldn't that also be part of the recommendation?
bliss85

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2015, 04:10:58 PM »

lol 5 kilos....good luck...ill tell you right now you aren't going to lose 5 kilos in the sauna unless you sit in there for like 15 hours...most people on dialysis cant even take off 5 kilos of fluid through the machine. average person sweats out 500 ml of sweat in a day and if you are super active maybe 2 or 3 times that max...i would not suggest calling this co treatment by any means other then maybe adding an extra glass of fluid a day. But everyone may do what they wish.

In-center Hemo Dialysis since 2009 (out-patient)
Currently Doing Nocturnal Tues-Thurs-Sun 8 hr sessions
Have had 1 live donor Tx in 2002 - 2009
Dry Weight: 71kgs Avg. Take off: 2kgs
Diagnosed Medulary Cystic Disease 2001
raymond keller

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 05:55:06 PM »

I am a medical student researcher looking into sauna therapy to help treat kidney disease and, to a lesser extent, hypertension. I am reluctant to offer medical advice. However, I would be happy to talk privately about my massive literature review and currently funded research toward the potential beneficial effects of sauna in the dialysis population.

Raymond Keller
207-929-0576
mysticnight

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2015, 06:37:24 PM »

Yup, this is an old thread, but a really interesting one. I read several articles about dialysis in India, where they use ones skin as the dialysis membrane, as you are discussing. The person lies in a tub of water and specific herbs and it pulls the toxins out. There are also many ayurvedic herbs which are said to heal the kidneys.
kristina
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2015, 04:24:49 AM »

Yup, this is an old thread, but a really interesting one. I read several articles about dialysis in India, where they use ones skin as the dialysis membrane, as you are discussing. The person lies in a tub of water and specific herbs and it pulls the toxins out. There are also many ayurvedic herbs which are said to heal the kidneys.

Hello mysticnight,
Could you please tell me what sort of herbs are being used to pull out toxins?
... And what sort of herbs are being used to assist the kidneys generally?
... Or are the same herbs used for both purposes?
Thanks from Kristina.

Bach was no pioneer; his style was not influenced by any past or contemporary century.
  He was completion and fulfillment in itself, like a meteor which follows its own path.
                                        -   Robert Schumann  -

...  Oportet Vivere ...
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2015, 12:41:19 PM »

Since we are,many of us, in different countries, I have to ask this question. When you are using the term sauna, are you referring to the hot water filled type of small pool? To us in USA, or california, a Sauna is a closet like area where there are stones and you throw water on them, to produce steam ( and sweat).  Also, with high BP, some of these are off limits.  I would research this myself, but as soon as I read something it is in one ear and out the other. I do have brain fog.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Sugarlump
Elite Member

10 years on and off dialysis

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2015, 10:42:44 AM »

When I holidayed in Italy (in high temps) I felt wonderful. Fluid increase was low and I drunk more.
Dialysis in Italy is good and easy to obtain to suit.
The heat sure worked for me...not too keen on saunas as they make me feel claustrophobic, so do steam rooms...

Maybe I should move to Italy!!!!

10 years of half a life
3 years HD 1st transplant Feb 08 failed after 3 months
Back to HD 2nd transplant Dec 10 failed after 11 months
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Back on HD (not easy to do that third time around)
Fighting hard (two years on) to do home HD ... watch this space!
Oh and I am am getting married 1/08/15 to my wonderful partner Drew!!!
The power of optimism over common sense :)
Alex C.

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2015, 11:10:35 AM »

I remember a similar discussion on a cyclist webpage a few years back-somebody extolling saunas as a way to lose water weight. The reality is that not a lot of water actually goes through your skin, so you wouldn't be able to sweat out a lot of toxins.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »