I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:15:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Spouses and Caregivers
| | |-+  News from Looneyland
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: News from Looneyland  (Read 10545 times)
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« on: February 06, 2013, 05:43:42 PM »

Hi to all my IHD family.  I'm sorry I have been absent for a few months though I have been lurking quietly behind the scenes.  So much has happened in Looneyland that I've had very little energy or time left over at the end of a day.   To bring you up to date:

February 2012 hubs switched over to nocturnal in-center 3 x weekly.  We moved from the farm (and sold our cows) over to our lake home to be closer to the clinic.  He did very well...so well that in June we bought a small town restaurant/cafe'.  (that's about when I started lurking and quit posting much)  He said it was always something he wanted to do and since he was doing so well on nocturnal, I agreed and we jumped in. 

August 2012, he started a downhill slide...excessive fatigue, general weakness, leg pain, gastro problems, etc...etc...not able to help much in the restaurant at all.

October 2012, a week long stay in the hospital.  He had been complaining of right hip pain for several days and the pain finally got bad enough for him to agree to go to the emergency room.  One MRI later, morphine was being administered and he was admitted with a diagnosis of a non-displaced fracture of the greater trochanter.  No fall, no trauma, nothing...just a fracture appeared.   An orthopedic surgeon was called in and a drug given to try to jump-start the bone healing.  Orders to stay non weight bearing for 8 weeks and then come for a follow up visit.  The orthopedic doctor stressed how brittle the bones were and told hubby to consider himself like glass... very fragile. 

November (mid month) 2012 after a few weeks of non-compliance with the non-weight bearing orders (anyone surprised ???  I wasn't!) we go back for our follow up visit.  Films taken, not much healing going on.  Sent home with more pain meds and more orders for him to stay off of it.  Warning given that if the bone was not healing to itself, it probably wouldn't heal to metal (if surgery was needed to keep it together) and he could be in a wheelchair for the rest of his life.

Fast foward ....January 2013.  Better compliance but hubby is now in severe pain.  Worse than the pain he experienced in October while in the hospital.  I call the orthopedic doc and we go in for a visit.  X-ray taken and then sent for another MRI.  That was done on January 28th.  We waited a few days for the result and finally got a call this Monday.  The orthopedic doc called us.  He said there is a large aggressive lesion (tumor was the word he used later in the call) showing in the MRI at the top of the femur that was not there in October's MRI and hubby was to have a CT scan of his chest, abdomen and pelvis as well as a full body scan STAT.  Also, he has already set up an appointment with a leading bone oncologist in the big city for next week on the 14th! 

Needless to say, we are both a little (ok...a lot) terrified.  I know it could be benign but I also know it might not be.  So...right now we are in a holding pattern for another 7 days.  We did the CT scans yesterday and will do the full body scan tomorrow.  Though we have agreed to say nothing to our kids or friends till we know more, I did not agree to silence on IHD.   
Both of us are trying hard to be strong and positive for each other but it's like there is a huge elephant in the room that we are ignoring.  And the chatter in my head is deafening!  So I am dumping it all here. 

Thanks for listening my friends.  I feel a little better after saying all this.  Prayers are appreciated. 

"The key to being patient is having something to do in the meantime" AU
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 05:52:36 PM »

Oh my.

Oh my.

Oh my.

Well, first of all, I am really glad you thought to use IHD as your emotional dumping ground.  That's what this site is here for.

I was about to say that I can't imagine the panic and dread you must be feeling, but actually, yes I can.  I wouldn't wish this kind of anxiety on my worst enemy.  I don't hate anyone quite that much.

I'm glad to hear you moved from the farm.  You're brave to start a cafe!  I LOVE those sorts of small town eateries.  What's on your menu?

What's the cause of such brittle bones?  I know it's a stupid question considering that this is a kidney forum, but his case seems to be particularly extreme.  Is it all due to his ESRD?

I'm wishing you and hubby all the luck in the world.  And I am so sorry you have to wait a whole week for results.  Please do keep us posted, and do continue to dump your psychological rubbish right here. :cuddle;

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
MaryD
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 06:10:39 PM »

:grouphug;

Hoping your elephant disappears.  Good thoughts going your way.
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 06:46:58 PM »

oh Looney you've been on my mind lately (been feeling down myself  and thought of all us wives/givers have gone through) and was wondering just whats been up.  Im so sorry to hear the latter part of this post...  And what a horrable wait you have   :(  I know we all wish we could say 'dont worry' but we also know better.  I know the fears your going through because have been through similar and the burning chest of fret, and busy head is nearly beyond bearable.  Im sorry Looney  :cuddle;  And you both have my prayers.   :pray;   :pray;

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 08:30:07 PM »

:-* :-* :-* Glad to see you posting but am very upset about hubby. Geeez and having to wait to hear what's next, it must awful.
Sending you hugs and love - dump any time!  :cuddle; :cuddle; :cuddle; :cuddle;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 03:05:29 AM »

Prayers going up.  I'm glad he got his cafe for a little while.  You are so good to let him do that.  And it will give him something to look forward to.

Hang in there.    :pray;

natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 03:48:38 AM »

:(  Heartfel prayers offered.  Hope you are doing time alright today Loony.

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 04:48:46 AM »

I am so very sorry about this news.  I wonder if he tumor and frqcture are related, not that he fracture caused the tunir, but that there were already cells there going wrong.  this must be a terrifying time for both of you.  it's ashame hqt you have to go through the torture of waiting for these results. :cuddle; :grouphug; :cuddle;

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 06:42:07 AM »

Jan, you know I am praying for you my friend.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 11:19:39 AM »

Jan, this is disturbing news indeed. No wonder you are terrified.  :grouphug;

And the nocturnal seemed like such a good solution that was working for you. I will be sending healing thoughts to you daily.

:cuddle;

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 04:31:46 PM »

It's good to hear from you, looney, but I'm so sorry to read that things have been so rough. I'm keeping a good thought for you, hoping that easier, happier days are soon to come.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 06:51:16 AM »

Thanks all for the good thoughts, cyberhugs and prayers.  Can only wait for now.  6 days to go. 

MM:  the cafe is open 6am to 2pm and our niche is breakfast.  Lots of biscuits and gravy, omelets, home fries and pancakes.  We offer comfort food for lunch...burgers, meatloaf, ham and beans, fried chicken.   Since I love to cook, I really do enjoy it. 
Come on down! 

Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 08:40:55 AM »

Looney lovely, I'm so sorry about hubby ... sending you both very positive vibes from a chilly England. 

*huggles*

Oh, the food in your cafe sounds utterly naughty and extremely divine!

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 05:37:37 AM »

:cuddle;  Sorry that things have been so rough!!

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2013, 09:27:46 AM »

Late getting here, but Jan, I hate to hear this. Let us know how things turn out.  He was doing so well on Nocturnal & things seemed to be looking up!  So sorry dear.  Loved the restraunt idea.  Will try someday to make it there!

Prayers for you both,
lmunchkin :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 07:48:38 PM »

any news for us Looney...  Prayers with you

Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 01:17:15 AM »

Oh, Looney, good tohear from you, but not so great with that news. Good that you sold the farm and things were going so well for you. This damned disease!!! Sending positive and good thoughts your way.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
looneytunes
Elite Member

Wishin' I was Fishin'

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2013, 11:51:53 AM »

Well, my friends, thank you all for your prayers and support.  I have to ask for them a while longer.  We did go to the oncologist yesterday (it was a LONG day) and the upshot is a surgical biopsy is needed which will happen on the 26th.  They will remove a large chunk of the tumor for analysis.  The doctor said that these type of tumors rarely begin in the bone but are normally from another part of the body.  While she said it is possible this could be benign, she was guarded as in her experience, it did not appear to be acting like a benign tumor.  The biopsy will give us definitive answers as to what we are up against.  Surgical removal of the whole tumor may not be an option due to the location of the tumor and the amount of involvement in the bone.  Enough of the bone has been destroyed that there most likely will be no way for any reconstruction that will allow hubby to use that leg again to any great extent.  So we are still in a holding pattern and the hope that this is "nothing" is getting slimmer.    And the chatter in my head is beyond deafening at times.  He has now confided in his sister and one friend but we are still playing this one close to the chest and not telling our kids. 

Again, thanks to all of you for the hugs, prayers and support. 

Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2013, 02:17:20 PM »

Thinking of you, Jan...

What a terrible situation....

Hope it all works out well....

Love...

Darth....

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2013, 08:29:45 PM »

my heart goes out to you both.  Im sure your in 'another world' at this time, but still i pray that it all comes out better than it's looking.   :grouphug; Im sorry dear lady for these worries and   I wish better for you all.

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2013, 08:47:50 PM »

:pray; Sending prayers up.  :cuddle; :cuddle;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2013, 12:58:51 AM »

So sorry. Hope the Dr. is mistaken.    :grouphug;

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Grumpy-1

Make me the person my dog thinks I am

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2013, 06:49:31 PM »

my prayers are added to the rest. Grumpy

Make me the person my dog thinks I am
brenda seal

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2013, 06:07:36 AM »

my thoughts are with you
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2013, 05:46:53 PM »

Just thinking about you Jan and hoping your hainging in there.  Hows hubby feeling?  any changes that may indicate things are getting better??  Wishing you and praying you good things comming up...  :cuddle;

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »