I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 12:22:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Good News Today
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good News Today  (Read 2486 times)
billoggblog

You Dialyse to Live....You Don't live to Dialyse!

« on: February 23, 2007, 07:41:44 AM »

Last August I had a (small) heart attack!!!!!!!
It has taken the NHS six months to give me 5 tests, and Finlay get back with results. ??? I have been diagnosed, Dilated Cardio Myopathy, which as far as I understand means:- my Heart is enlarged, therefore ,find's it harder to pump blood round my body!!! (unless some-one out their knows better?????) because of this I was taken off the transplant list.
I went into see my consultant today, (have heard nothing from them for 6 months!! only snippets of info. from my favorate PD nurse!!)
my consultant  says my heart is still greatly enlarged and the only way to improve this is to get a TX :2thumbsup; so we have to get you back on list ASAP.  The risk is greater because of my heart condition, but , will never improve without one!! (It's a viscous circle, but what else can I do!!)

« Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 07:44:56 AM by billoggblog » Logged

Yesterday is History..........Tomorrow is Mystery..........
Today is a Gift...That's why they call it Present.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 12:50:17 PM »

I was told that they would keep anyone with a heart condition off the transplant list.  If your heart stops during surgery, the transplant isn't going to do you much good, after all.  U of Mi, Ann Arbor, where I went for my transplant eval., stressed cardiac condition above almost everything else.  All diabetics on the list are expected to have yearly echocardiograms, and any abnormal result will get you bumped off the list permanently. 

Although that may not hold true for every center.  One of the women at my dialysis unit is on the waiting list for a kidney and she's already got a new heart.  Seems like that would be enough of a cardiac problem to have bumped her off the list for a kidney, but apparently not.

Good luck at getting back on the list!  You may want to see what the policy is at other transplant centers in your area.  Some may be more lenient than others.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

billoggblog

You Dialyse to Live....You Don't live to Dialyse!

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 01:04:15 PM »

I was told that they would keep anyone with a heart condition off the transplant list.  If your heart stops during surgery, the transplant isn't going to do you much good, after all.  U of Mi, Ann Arbor, where I went for my transplant eval., stressed cardiac condition above almost everything else.  All diabetics on the list are expected to have yearly echocardiograms, and any abnormal result will get you bumped off the list permanently. 

Although that may not hold true for every center.  One of the women at my dialysis unit is on the waiting list for a kidney and she's already got a new heart.  Seems like that would be enough of a cardiac problem to have bumped her off the list for a kidney, but apparently not.

Good luck at getting back on the list!  You may want to see what the policy is at other transplant centers in your area.  Some may be more lenient than others.
Apparently I am going on what they call a high risk list, but without transplant my chances are poor.  Also I was advised they may have to consider a Heart-Kidney Transplant. As a last option.

Searching the web today I found this story about a man who had this operation. www.mayoclinic.org/annualreport/ardell-lien-2005.html

Yesterday is History..........Tomorrow is Mystery..........
Today is a Gift...That's why they call it Present.
bluedove57

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 07:31:21 PM »

I will definately put you on my prayer list billoggbog. God is good. He is never early but never late. You're in my prayers...Good luck.  ;)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »