I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 08:32:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: F.A.Q. (Frequently Asked Questions)
| | |-+  question: Can transplant recipients donate cadaver organs?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: question: Can transplant recipients donate cadaver organs?  (Read 12056 times)
angieskidney
Elite Member

« on: February 22, 2007, 09:10:00 PM »

I got a question about transplant recipients being able to donate their organs when they die.

The reason I ask is this post on another forum:

This was in reply to a guy saying he would donate a kidney if the recipient agreed to donate their organs when they die.

you may not be aware that usually the anti-rejection drugs required by recipients make their organs unable to be used for donation upon their deaths. Sorry to have to be the one to break this to you.

Is that true??

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 09:15:42 PM »

Don't know but I would think that the exposure to the meds would be a good thing maybe make them more acceptable to a recipient.  One time I wanted to donate blood but they wouldn't let me because of the meds so who knows?
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 09:17:53 PM »

I have heard that you can't, but I would think an organ recipient would be a GREAT donor.  Their organs are already use to the anti-rejection drugs.  So, I get a kidney and die from a car accident.  My heart is still good.  Why not use it?

But, I have heard that they don't.     :(

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2007, 09:29:14 PM »

The reason I am wondering is I asked the license bureau when they did my license and put on it that I am a donor. They said I can be one.

But since seeing that guy's post I realize I probably should have asked the dialysis unit or my transplant coordinator instead ...

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 09:41:09 PM »

Well, I'm a donor on my license too, but that is to be an example more than anything.  So when the lady asks me at the counter in a low voice "do you want to be an organ donor"  I CAN SAY in a very loud voice "YES, I WANT TO BE AN ORGAN DONOR WHO WOULDN'T WANT TO BE AN ORGAN DONOR - MY GOSH YOU'RE DEAD SO WHY NOT LET SOMEONE ELSE USE YOUR HEALTHY ORGANS"....

:banghead;

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2007, 10:03:44 PM »

Well, I'm a donor on my license too, but that is to be an example more than anything.  So when the lady asks me at the counter in a low voice "do you want to be an organ donor"  I CAN SAY in a very loud voice "YES, I WANT TO BE AN ORGAN DONOR WHO WOULDN'T WANT TO BE AN ORGAN DONOR - MY GOSH YOU'RE DEAD SO WHY NOT LET SOMEONE ELSE USE YOUR HEALTHY ORGANS"....

:banghead;

Exactly!  :2thumbsup; Thx Rerun!  :2thumbsup;

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2007, 01:02:13 PM »

I think it would depend on the health reasons you ended up with your transplant for in the first place.  I'm diabetic.  All of my organs are probably compromised by some form of neuropathy, so I can't imagine anyone wanting any of them.

If your kidney failure had been induced by an overdose of antibiotics, though, there would be a better chance that the rest of your organs were still healthy.

But my family does know that if I die, and there's any chance anyone can use anything I've got left, they are supposed to donate it!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2007, 01:26:27 PM »

I think it would depend on the health reasons you ended up with your transplant for in the first place.  I'm diabetic.  All of my organs are probably compromised by some form of neuropathy, so I can't imagine anyone wanting any of them.

If your kidney failure had been induced by an overdose of antibiotics, though, there would be a better chance that the rest of your organs were still healthy.

But my family does know that if I die, and there's any chance anyone can use anything I've got left, they are supposed to donate it!
But if that is the case then I SHOULD be able to donate after my death because my CKD was not caused by anything other than reflux that coulda been easily fixed at birth (or now with medical advances even before birth!!).

Plus I figure if they can't use anything, then they can't be we set a good example right? :)

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
renal30yrs

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2007, 03:11:21 AM »

I'm sure your skin, bone, and cornea are ok enough to donate.  I don't think you can donate other major organs.
kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2007, 11:38:19 AM »

When I first started dialysis, my nurses asked me if my donor card is signed,

then they asked me again after a few weeks, to me that sounds like I could be a donor, but who knows  :-\

Kim

http://www.kimhoben.com
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2007, 02:09:25 PM »

People can donate. 

They will only take what they think they can transplant.

There is a group or two that are pushing that those that wish to receive a transplant should be forced to sign organ donor cards before being eligible to receive a transplant.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2007, 02:11:08 PM »

People can donate. 

They will only take what they think they can transplant.

There is a group or two that are pushing that those that wish to receive a transplant should be forced to sign organ donor cards before being eligible to receive a transplant.
I'd think those are the main people who wouldn't hesistate to do so and aren't the problem. We need to get other people to sign their donor card. No one wants to until their life is personally effected by some disease that makes them think about organ donation.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 02:16:57 PM by angieskidney » Logged

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2007, 02:12:43 PM »

Forced?  What's the point?  When I'm dead, I've got no say what happens to my body parts.  Signing the donor card only shows my intent.  It's still legally up to my family.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2007, 02:16:24 PM »

Forced?  What's the point?  When I'm dead, I've got no say what happens to my body parts.  Signing the donor card only shows my intent.  It's still legally up to my family.
Ya that is why they say to talk to your family because if they are against it then your organs do NOT get transplanted.

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2007, 04:59:57 AM »

I have always stated my wishes concerning organ donation, since I was about 16 I would say.  Long before I, ever in my wildest dreams knew I would need a donation. 

Here is the thing.  This is something that has bothered me for 10 years now,  10 years ago my husband died very suddenly (after a day at work, no notice, Nada)  It was 2am in the morning and I was sitting in the hospital , told my husband passed away, I was in TOTAL shock and not once was being a donor brought up.  I have been a very vocal person in donor conversations, and yet when I was in the position to concent to be a donor I didn't.  I never thought about it , it never crossed my mind, I was in shock, and not once was it brought up to me.  My husband also had the same views as me about being a donor, and when the fog in my mind settled, and I thought about donating, I was so downhearted that it took many months to get over, in some way it would have helped me in the grieving process.  But it wasn't meant to be.
I think that health people need to know how to ask, mention, at least bring it up.

I am not to sure if this should be in your post if it shouldn't I am sorry, this is the first time I have said (typed) my thoughts on this matter outload, feels kinda good.

Kim

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2007, 07:31:03 AM »

I am not to sure if this should be in your post if it shouldn't I am sorry, this is the first time I have said (typed) my thoughts on this matter outload, feels kinda good.

Kim
It's fine! You are right on topic! I am glad you shared!  :cuddle; So they didn't ask you if his organs should be donated at all??

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
kimcanada
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2007, 08:30:03 AM »

No, they not once mentioned it,  it is something that bothered me for years.

Especially when its something that we talked about and both believed in.

I can't believe that I never thought of it , thats what shock will do to you I guess.

Kim

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2007, 11:53:59 AM »

No, they not once mentioned it,  it is something that bothered me for years.

Especially when its something that we talked about and both believed in.

I can't believe that I never thought of it , thats what shock will do to you I guess.

Kim
Especially when you hear of people afraid to sign their donor card becuase they believe the docs won't try to save them but will see the body as a giftbox of organs .. and here they didn't even ask!!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2007, 11:34:28 AM »

I for one could not donate any organ or blood, due to the fact I have Lupus. Most people on dialysis (who end up with transplants) either start out with a major illness that would prevent them from being a donor, or they get something over the years on dialysis, such as diabetes or something... Either way, you should always ask your dr if you have any medical probs to make sure you can donate period. If not, your wasting everyones time by signing a donor card.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Krisna

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2007, 06:35:23 PM »

I've never heard anything like that but I still signed my donor card knowing that the possibility of them actually going to a person is slim.  I did it so maybe science will be able to learn more abt the effects of long term chronic kidney disease. 

Nov. 1979 - Diagnosed with glomerulonephritis of unknown origin by Dr. Robert
                  Hickman
Dec. 1979 - Diagnosed with Viral Pneumonia
Late Dec. 1979 - Emergency surgery to place a Scribner Shunt in left arm for dialysis
Jan. 1980 - Start hemodialysis until recovered from viral pneumonia
Feb. 27, 1980 - Receive 5 antigen living related transplant from father
Mar. 3, 1987 - PTH removed and part of one placed in left arm.  Fistula also placed in right arm.
Sept. 1988 - Start hemodialysis
Feb. 4, 1989 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Jan. 1994 - Return to hemodialysis
Oct. 18, 1996 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Nov. 22, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm to artery in kidney
Dec. 20, 1996 - Emergency surgery to repair aneurysm.  Kidney removed due to infection which has spread down right leg to abt mid thigh.
Apr. 1997 - Arterial bypass surgery to restore arterial blood flow to right leg
July 29, 1998 - Receive 6 antigen perfect match cadaveric transplant
Sept. 6, 2002 - Return to hemodialysis
Dec. 7, 2002 Sm. intestine ruptures while home alone. Still conscious upon arrival at hospital.
Dec. 8. 2002 - Surgery to repair ruptured bowel.  The prognosis is not good.  Surgeon tells family to prepare for the worse.  Spend a week in a coma and 3 months in hospital.  Takes abt a year and a half to completely recover.
KT0930
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2007, 12:56:42 PM »

I was so concerned about this about ten years ago that I called the National Kidney Foundation, and even THEY couldn't give me a straight answer. Basically what it boiled down to was, go ahead and sign your card. When the time comes, the procurement team will determine what, if any, of your organs are able to be used. I've been carrying a signed donor card with my license ever since.

"Dialysis ain't for sissies" ~My wonderful husband
~~~~~~~
I received a 6 out of 6 antigen match transplant on January 9, 2008. Third transplant, first time on The List.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2007, 04:18:50 PM »

I was so concerned about this about ten years ago that I called the National Kidney Foundation, and even THEY couldn't give me a straight answer. Basically what it boiled down to was, go ahead and sign your card. When the time comes, the procurement team will determine what, if any, of your organs are able to be used. I've been carrying a signed donor card with my license ever since.

Makes sense to me ;)  :2thumbsup;  That is why i've signed myself up as a donor as well :)  :2thumbsup;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2007, 06:15:54 AM »

Well, as I stated, the question isn't a clear answer. You can't just ask "can transplant recipients donate cadaver organs" and get a yes or no answer in every case. There is always an underlying case for your ESRD to begin with, and for some people, that cause alone prevents donation of any kind.

For example, myself. I have SLE, and that's what caused my ESRD. Even without ESRD, I cannot donate anything with having SLE.

So, some people cannot donate some people can.. just as with anyone else on this planet without having a transplant.. some have problems/diseases that don't allow for donation, and some don't.  :thumbup;

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »