I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:05:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Highest serum creatinine ever reported
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Highest serum creatinine ever reported  (Read 6351 times)
natnnnat
Elite Member

« on: January 20, 2013, 02:21:42 AM »

LETTERS TO THE EDITOR
Highest serum creatinine ever reported (pages 137–138)
Said D. Abuhasna
Article first published online: 4 JUL 2012 | http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1542-4758.2012.00725.x/abstract

To the Editor:
EXTREMELY HIGH SERUM CREATININE LEVEL

Acute renal failure secondary to uncontrolled hypertension is a common disorder in clinical practice.1 Such patients often present with severe symptoms and signs as well as markedly deranged laboratory findings that necessitate renal replacement therapy.2 Extremely high levels of serum creatinine have been reported in the literature.3 The highest level of serum creatinine reported was 37 mg/dL.3 We report a young adult who presented with a very high creatinine level of 61.3 mg/dL and was successfully managed with hemodialysis.

CASE REPORT
A 20-year-old male was admitted to the intensive care unit with complaints of headache and nausea for 4 days. The patient was seen earlier by his family physician and was found to have elevated blood pressure (BP 190/ 105 mmHg). Oral amlodipine (10 mg per day) was prescribed. He was subsequently referred to the emergency department for evaluation of hypertension. Physical examination revealed a heart rate of 98 beats per minute, respiratory rate of 24 breaths per minute, and a blood pressure of 190/105 mmHg, and periorbital edema. The balance of physical examination was within normal limits. Laboratory analysis showed a serum creatinine level of 61.3 mg/dL (QuantiChromTM Creatinine Assay Kit [DICT-500]), serum bicarbonate of 14 mmol/L, serum phosphorous of 12 mg/dL, blood urea nitrogen of (BUN) of 245 mg/dL, and a serum potassium of 4.0 mmol/L. Arterial blood gas analysis showed pH 7.34, PCO2 26 mmHg, and HCO3 14 mmol/L. Serological tests for the human immunodeficiency virus were negative.

Measurement of serum creatinine on the same sample by a different method (Beckman Coulter DXC-800 analyzer) confirmed the initial results. The patient was treated with. . . . hemodialysis and frusemide 80 mg orally daily. To our knowledge, this is the highest level of serum creatinine reported in the English literature. The lack of symptoms in association with the extremely high levels of creatinine and BUN were rather astonishing and the mild degree of metabolic acidosis in association with significant hyperphosphatemia were surprising. We expected the patient to have more profound metabolic acidosis requiring therapy with buffering agents, but to our surprise this was not the case. In my 20 years of experience in critical care, I have not encountered such a high level of serum creatinine in any patient. Lack of reporting may be a contributing factor. I hope that reporting such a striking abnormality will encourage others to do the same. This case illustrates the occurrence of profound elevation in serum creatinine in association with very high serum phosphorus levels in a patient who was initially seen at an outpatient clinic for headaches related to very high blood pressure and the occurrence of only mild degree of metabolic acidosis.

ACKNOWLEDGMENT

I would like to express my sincere thanks to Amer Hussien Al Jundi for his contribution to the material.
Said D. ABUHASNA
Department of Critical Care Medicine
Tawam Hospital
Al Ain, United Arab Emirates

REFERENCES
1 Allison SJ. Acute kidney injury: CKD, AKI and outcomes in acute severe hypertension. Nat Rev Nephrol. 2010; 6:384.
2 Kellum JA. Acute kidney injury. Crit Care Med. 2008; 36(4 Suppl):S141–S145.
3 Dopf J. Precious Bodily Fluids: Highest Creatinine I Have Seen. 2009. Available from: http://www.pbfluids.com/2009/03/ highest-creatinine-i-have-seen-in-acute.html (accessed date: May 2, 2012).

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 02:29:00 AM »

For those who are used to Creatnine in μmol/l (Australia, Canada, parts of the EU)
One mg/dl of creatinine is 88.4 μmol/l.
So 61.3 mg/dl is equivalent to 5418.92 μmol/l.

Have I got this wrong?  I feel like I am about to be spectacularly embarrassed by some mathematical slip here.   :o

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 03:35:56 PM »

His potassium was 4.0 so that is why he wasn't dead yet. 

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »