I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 12:35:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Have you had children whilst on dialysis? (Question for the ladies only)
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Have you had children whilst on dialysis? (Question for the ladies only)  (Read 11814 times)
brenda

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2007, 08:13:42 PM »

I'll bring my lawnchair and sit beside you Kitkatz. Can't believe you opened this can of worms again Shay. I think the original question was; Have YOU! had children whilst on dialysis? This whole crazy idea of you having a baby on PD is obviously not out of you head yet.  I'm sorry to sound nasty but this is just too much. You do sound very selfish when it comes to this subject and very immature. You need to get your life in order and grow up a little bit before you even consider bringing another life into this world. You have all these grownups telling you how it is, how it has been for them and you just don't want to listen to any of it. In the end you'll make your own choice I just don't want to hear about it when you mess it up.

Life is what happens while your making other plans.
shay_pcb

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2007, 08:16:47 PM »

I didn't open it!!! go back and read it again. I posted where someone else HAD had a baby on dialysis. I didn't say anything about ME at all, until Epoman brought it all back up!! I'm not even trying anymore, so why is everyone still on me about this?!?!?! I don't understand. I took everybody's advice and gave up...I didn't even mention it again...What do you all want from me?!?!!?!
brenda

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2007, 08:25:54 PM »

You had to know you were going to get conflict and comments with your comments you made. You can't tell me you didn't expect something from at least Epoman never mind others.

shay_pcb

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2007, 08:31:11 PM »

Seriously, what did I say to cause all of this again?? Am I not allowed to post ANYTHIng when it has to do with having a baby?? Go look at my FIRST post in this topic. That should've started anything. It had nothing to do with me. It was about another person that had had a baby...I was just answering the question...How did it turn into this again???
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2007, 08:32:51 PM »

Children are an emotive subject. You are going to raise eyebrows if it seems you are willing to take risks to give birth. Shay it is not a personal attack. It is more about looking out for your wellbeing also.  :cuddle;

I am setting up the lawnchairs for the fireworks show.  Popping popcorn, too. :popcorn;

I am now gaging myself and taking a seat next to you Kat. Pass the popcorn- no salt for me!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 08:39:37 PM by Wattle » Logged

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
brenda

« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2007, 08:36:23 PM »

You really don't get it do you? You need to go back and read your post. Believe me I read it about ten times. That's enough of this, I got nothing else to say to you on this subject. Carry on.

shay_pcb

« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2007, 08:42:34 PM »

I think that there'd be plenty of room in there for a baby and PD fluid. If a person can carry 5 babies at once and have them, then someone can have 1 baby and fluid in there. It'd be a stretch, but it could happen.

And here's is the story directly from the horse's mouth about her pregnancy experience on PD:

Written by Tish310 on http://www.globaldialysis.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4065&KW=pregnancy
Let me share with you alittle about myself. I've had kidney disease for 35 yrs I've done hemodialysis and peritoneal I've had a total of 4 kidney transplants over the years....well back in 1987 I had gotten pregnant it was very unexpected my hubby and I never planned on having kids and I was told that I couldn't conceive children so life went on for us and guess what I got pregnant I was on peritoneal at the time I didn't even know I was till I was 4 mo along because my periods were far and few I had maybe 2-3 periods a year if that so if I ovulated it wasn't very often. Anyway I was and so I told my Neph about it and he recommended that I really think about keeping my baby or not and I was so happy I thought I didn't or couldn't have a baby so I had never really thought what it would be like to have a baby so when I found out I was it changed my attitude about having one so I told my Neph that I was going to go ahead and have it I told him I would be fine I'll take care of myself really well and I can do this I was so optimistic I wasn't thinking about anything but how happy I was to be pregnant ......well like I said when I found out I was already 4 months along so even if I wanted to and I didn't it would have been too late to get rid of my Baby then two months later I had her she weighed 1 pound 4oz.  she was born in my six month I went into pre-mature labor and it couldn't be stopped my daughter was rushed to the nicu were they take all the pre-mature baby's she was so tiny you could see through her skin it was like paper she was very critical for at least 6 weeks she went through at least a dozen surgery's due to many complications with her underdeveloped bowl and also her eye's she also had what's called rickets meaning her bones were weak and fragile she had to have tiny casts on her legs and arms to protect them that was due to me having hypocalcaemia (low calcium level) I didn't have all the best nutrients in my body to give to her because of my own health being deprived of it especially being on dialysis.

Well my daughter had to stay in the hospital for 8 months after she was born till she was stable enough to come home about a month before we brought her home the Dr's told us that her retina's in both eye's were blown out meaning she was blind in both eye's when the tiny baby's are born so early they need to be on a respirator to help them breath ....well that's what blows out the retina's in the eye's so she was going to be blind for the rest of her life as well as developmentally delayed she's 19 right now but her mind functions at a 6 yrs old level she was delayed in all her developments like walking, talking, standing, toilet training, Etc.... .

I hope with what I wrote doesn't give you the impression that I'm sorry for having had her because I'm not I love her with all my heart & soul I wouldn't give her back for a second the reason I decided to share this with you was to tell you I know how you feel about wanting to leave a piece of you if something should happen to you , and I don't want to tell you what you should do , but please know that your health is not good grant you I don't know what is exactly wrong with you , but please think about how hard it is on your body and what that can do to your baby if your not in good health. I have heard of other kidney patients having healthy baby's I have friends that have done it but they had kidney transplants and they still had to be very careful they had to have bed rest for at least the last 4 months of there pregnancy and they didn't take it to fullterm . I really hope you aren't offended by what I wrote I really mean well whenever I hear of someone that wants to have a baby and there having these types of health issues themselves it really concerns me. Even now our daughter requires a lot from us we are her legal conservators because she can't make decisions for herself she can't be left alone either so she'll never be able to be independent it's a struggle for her because she wants to be but she can't and doesn't understand why.

OK, read it again...There's NOTHING that has ANYTHING to do with ME having a baby or wanting to have a baby...Please, ANYONE explain how that caused all of this?? I didn't mention still wanting a baby after hearing that story; I didn't mention still wanting a baby AT ALL!! Epoman did in the next post!! HE started ALL of this!!!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 08:57:34 PM by shay_pcb » Logged
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2007, 12:01:44 AM »

I think that there'd be plenty of room in there for a baby and PD fluid. If a person can carry 5 babies at once and have them, then someone can have 1 baby and fluid in there. It'd be a stretch, but it could happen.

And here's is the story directly from the horse's mouth about her pregnancy experience on PD:

Written by Tish310 on http://www.globaldialysis.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4065&KW=pregnancy
Let me share with you alittle about myself. I've had kidney disease for 35 yrs I've done hemodialysis and peritoneal I've had a total of 4 kidney transplants over the years....well back in 1987 I had gotten pregnant it was very unexpected my hubby and I never planned on having kids and I was told that I couldn't conceive children so life went on for us and guess what I got pregnant I was on peritoneal at the time I didn't even know I was till I was 4 mo along because my periods were far and few I had maybe 2-3 periods a year if that so if I ovulated it wasn't very often. Anyway I was and so I told my Neph about it and he recommended that I really think about keeping my baby or not and I was so happy I thought I didn't or couldn't have a baby so I had never really thought what it would be like to have a baby so when I found out I was it changed my attitude about having one so I told my Neph that I was going to go ahead and have it I told him I would be fine I'll take care of myself really well and I can do this I was so optimistic I wasn't thinking about anything but how happy I was to be pregnant ......well like I said when I found out I was already 4 months along so even if I wanted to and I didn't it would have been too late to get rid of my Baby then two months later I had her she weighed 1 pound 4oz.  she was born in my six month I went into pre-mature labor and it couldn't be stopped my daughter was rushed to the nicu were they take all the pre-mature baby's she was so tiny you could see through her skin it was like paper she was very critical for at least 6 weeks she went through at least a dozen surgery's due to many complications with her underdeveloped bowl and also her eye's she also had what's called rickets meaning her bones were weak and fragile she had to have tiny casts on her legs and arms to protect them that was due to me having hypocalcaemia (low calcium level) I didn't have all the best nutrients in my body to give to her because of my own health being deprived of it especially being on dialysis.

Well my daughter had to stay in the hospital for 8 months after she was born till she was stable enough to come home about a month before we brought her home the Dr's told us that her retina's in both eye's were blown out meaning she was blind in both eye's when the tiny baby's are born so early they need to be on a respirator to help them breath ....well that's what blows out the retina's in the eye's so she was going to be blind for the rest of her life as well as developmentally delayed she's 19 right now but her mind functions at a 6 yrs old level she was delayed in all her developments like walking, talking, standing, toilet training, Etc.... .

I hope with what I wrote doesn't give you the impression that I'm sorry for having had her because I'm not I love her with all my heart & soul I wouldn't give her back for a second the reason I decided to share this with you was to tell you I know how you feel about wanting to leave a piece of you if something should happen to you , and I don't want to tell you what you should do , but please know that your health is not good grant you I don't know what is exactly wrong with you , but please think about how hard it is on your body and what that can do to your baby if your not in good health. I have heard of other kidney patients having healthy baby's I have friends that have done it but they had kidney transplants and they still had to be very careful they had to have bed rest for at least the last 4 months of there pregnancy and they didn't take it to fullterm . I really hope you aren't offended by what I wrote I really mean well whenever I hear of someone that wants to have a baby and there having these types of health issues themselves it really concerns me. Even now our daughter requires a lot from us we are her legal conservators because she can't make decisions for herself she can't be left alone either so she'll never be able to be independent it's a struggle for her because she wants to be but she can't and doesn't understand why.

OK, read it again...There's NOTHING that has ANYTHING to do with ME having a baby or wanting to have a baby...Please, ANYONE explain how that caused all of this?? I didn't mention still wanting a baby after hearing that story; I didn't mention still wanting a baby AT ALL!! Epoman did in the next post!! HE started ALL of this!!!

Shay, no you didn't come straight out and say "I still want to have a baby" but you did post in this thread, AND since you decided to post such a sad situation about one mother and her PD pregnancy, did you really think no one would call you on it? Since practically everyone on IHD knows your infatuation with having a baby despite you knowing all the risks involved and you had made it very clear in that other thread you did not care about the risks the baby might face and you would still love a sick baby. Even if you FINALLY came to your senses and we convinced you to wait and not have a baby on PD. You still in the past showed everyone how selfish you really are. And how you were putting your own needs and the needs of your mother before the needs of an innocent child.

- Epoman

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2007, 01:50:53 AM »

I'm draggin the recliner to this one... :popcorn; :wine;
shay_pcb

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2007, 02:03:09 AM »

But, like you said, I didn't bring it up, so can we just drop it and get back to answering her question? That was all I was trying to do; not argue with anyone...I'll just be sure to stay away from topics that involve babies from now on since I now know how people can't let things go. I thought this was over with...
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2007, 08:42:03 AM »

But, like you said, I didn't bring it up, so can we just drop it and get back to answering her question? That was all I was trying to do; not argue with anyone...I'll just be sure to stay away from topics that involve babies from now on since I now know how people can't let things go. I thought this was over with...

You don't have to get so defensive! Be happy; you'll live longer!!
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2007, 08:50:18 AM »

I'm happy that Shay has decided not to have a baby while on dialysis.  Let's not push her over the edge boys! 

Shay I think you shared that story to prove that people do have children "whilst" (Is That A Word) on dialysis.  But, the article backfired because the kid was retarded!  I don't think being 19 and having the mind of a 6 year old is just mildly mentally disabled!  My Gosh, that poor girl will never live on her own or contribute to society except with love to her relatives.  I don't believe in abortion, and that mother did not plan this pregnancy.  So, let's just drop it.  YOU are not that stupid to get pregnant knowing what you know now.

:wine;

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2007, 12:56:40 PM »

I'm happy that Shay has decided not to have a baby while on dialysis.  Let's not push her over the edge boys! 

Shay I think you shared that story to prove that people do have children "whilst" (Is That A Word) on dialysis.  But, the article backfired because the kid was retarded!  I don't think being 19 and having the mind of a 6 year old is just mildly mentally disabled!  My Gosh, that poor girl will never live on her own or contribute to society except with love to her relatives.  I don't believe in abortion, and that mother did not plan this pregnancy.  So, let's just drop it.  YOU are not that stupid to get pregnant knowing what you know now.

:wine;
Exactly! I am with Rerun on this one!!  :beer1;

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2007, 01:31:22 PM »

"whilst" (Is That A Word)

Yes, it is a word.  :P

whilst

• conjunction & adverb chiefly Brit. while.

http://www.askoxford.com/results/?view=dev_dict&field-12668446=whilst&branch=13842570&textsearchtype=exact&sortorder=score%2Cname

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2007, 01:34:35 PM »

"whilst" (Is That A Word)

Yes, it is a word.  :P

whilst

• conjunction & adverb chiefly Brit. while.

http://www.askoxford.com/results/?view=dev_dict&field-12668446=whilst&branch=13842570&textsearchtype=exact&sortorder=score%2Cname
Ah a british term! I have heard of it .. probably since Canadians use a LOT of british terminology and spelling  ;D but that would explain a lot since Americans don't ;)

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Jill D.

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2007, 02:29:39 PM »

Getting back to the original question posted  ;)....it just seems like common sense that if a woman is on dialysis, more than likely her body chemistry is very much out of whack, and is not in a healthy state. Since a child in utero is developing on nutrients provided by the mother and can be affected by meds the mother takes as well as the diet the mother follows (we all know the renal diet isn't exactly "healthy"...no dairy, no whole grains, etc.), it stands to reason that the baby will suffer developmentally if it fully develops at all. I have read the story that Shay posted (on another site) and it just confirmed my belief that it is a very bad idea. Besides, the woman's health is bound to deteriorate with the extra stress that carrying a child would put on her body. What child, even born healthy, wants to grow up without a mother?
I'm glad Shay posted the story for people to read that are considering having children (or not using birth control) while on dialysis. It is a very sad and tragic story, and is a good reality check for anyone considering risking having a child while on dialysis.

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2007, 02:35:05 PM »

Getting back to the original question posted  ;)....it just seems like common sense that if a woman is on dialysis, more than likely her body chemistry is very much out of whack, and is not in a healthy state. Since a child in utero is developing on nutrients provided by the mother and can be affected by meds the mother takes as well as the diet the mother follows (we all know the renal diet isn't exactly "healthy"...no dairy, no whole grains, etc.), it stands to reason that the baby will suffer developmentally if it fully develops at all. I have read the story that Shay posted (on another site) and it just confirmed my belief that it is a very bad idea. Besides, the woman's health is bound to deteriorate with the extra stress that carrying a child would put on her body. What child, even born healthy, wants to grow up without a mother?
I'm glad Shay posted the story for people to read that are considering having children (or not using birth control) while on dialysis. It is a very sad and tragic story, and is a good reality check for anyone considering risking having a child while on dialysis.
Good post Jill! So true! Who knows who else is thinking along these lines and are afraid to say so with people freaking out on them! With this thread they will read and get informed about their choices!  :thumbup;

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2007, 02:53:40 PM »

My comment - since I am not on dialysis, is one more from the perspective of being a mother.
There's nothing more wonderful than a planned, healthy pregnancy. Giving your baby and
yourself the best possible circumstances is the best way to go for everyone. Having children
is an almost selfish act, we do it for ourselves , it fulfills something in us. So the child who is
wanted and given a good starting point has the best chance in the future. That's my opinion
anyway. The health of the mom and child is important. If a planned pregnancy while being
a dialysis patient is ok with the OB/GYN and the nephrologist, and the woman and her partner
are mature enough to commit to raising a child together, then it should be a personal decision
made by them. Even given all that there are still no guarantees.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2007, 09:38:46 PM »

Amen to that!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2007, 01:13:36 PM »

Even during pre-dialysis / renal insufficiency I don't think pregnancy is safe for renal patients. I don't understand why a woman would even consider pregnancy if she knew the pregnanacy would put either her life or her baby's life at risk. I've known since I was very young that my kidneys weren't healthy, even though they were functioning near 100% until I was in my 20's. I made the decision not to ever get pregnant while I was still a teenager. I knew it would be very hard on my body and the baby might not be healthy. I decided that if I wanted children as an adult, they would be adopted.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
shay_pcb

« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2007, 08:44:07 PM »

One more link to some statistics of pregnancy in dialysis patients, written by a doctor.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »