I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:54:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  When the call comes.... What questions do I ask?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: When the call comes.... What questions do I ask?  (Read 30862 times)
sandra3105

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2012, 07:20:26 PM »

When i got call 17 nov 2011 after 6 yrs on list. 3 yrs PD but was to start home traing
Jan 12 haemo really hated that thought ! So call just expected a transplant most important question to ask  :2thumbsup;am i 1st or 2nd choice eh ? No one told me they call 2 people 1 is back up but luckily i worse 1st. No beds so on a trolley non renal ward arr 1.00 am all scans x rays done surgery 8.00 am got ready and was being wheeled to theatre when doc came down to me and said unfortunately kidney has jst decreased in numbers so no transplant devestated brought back to trolleu behind curtain. By 10.00 am rage setting in as day shift settling in until 12 noon i was now crying to them y no one cum t c me ? 1.00 pm renal dov arr apologised but the night shift told us both patients had left ok nusy these things happen but then said i need a potassium drip fr 1.5 hrs :Kit n Stik; got home 3.30 pm 14.4 hrs an no kidney thought that was my chance went on downer (3weeks). Started training haemo 2months in got a call they ran the bi annual pool scheme an me an daughter 3 x way swap may 17th 6 months to the date. Had op kidney worked immediately few hick ups stent bowels etc... But now oct back at work took up swimming running. So message is alwsys b positive even at lowest level fate the cadaver kidney failed as live donor betta now worrying bit nout rejection dont think what ifs

APD since dec 08 kidney disease since childhood.
phyl1215

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2012, 09:08:35 AM »

I'm in Ohio and when I got the call I was told to get to the hospital asap they had a kidney for me.  I had 98% antibodies, I didn't ask anything.  I was later told that it came from Virginia and it was "perfect match", I couldn't believe it...it worked right away and Dr. said my body thinks it is mine.  I trusted my hospital and transplant team to do what was best for my case, they tried real hard to lower my antibodies without much success over 4 yrs., I knew they would take care of me.   

PD 3 yrs.
TX list 4 yrs.
Deceased donor PERFECT MATCH Kidney transplant July 8, 2012

Learning To Dance In The Rain
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2013, 04:30:46 PM »

:bump; Please share additional question suggestions, if you've got any. Thanks.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2014, 10:08:15 AM »

I understand that the antigen match is significant:  what should it be?  What 's the best you can hope/ask/wait for?
6 antigens - best match 6/6, worse 0/6.
MommyChick

Me & my precious Miracle !!!

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2014, 04:16:50 PM »

In all honestly when that call comes in, your mind kind of goes BLANK  :Kit n Stik;
I had waited 8.5 years for that one phone call and when it finally happened all I kept saying was, is this for real !?!

The only question I could think of was if I was first for the kidney, which of course I was Thank Goodness. Otherwise all my other questions started to come to me as I was waiting in the hospital prior to transplant.

- like my antigen match? 6/6
- who and where it came from? I was only allowed to know the age of my donor.
- then the BIG question as to when is surgery, haha I was overly anxious for mine!

~ Hello All, My names Marna ~

- 1995 - 12 yrs old found out my kidneys were both failing
- 1996 - Dec. 3 I received my 1st kidney transplant at age 13, after 7/mths on the waiting list
- 2005 - In Aug. transplant failed after 9.5 years, had to have a nephrectomy due to being very ill & massive hypertension
           - End of Aug. 1st time on dialysis
- 2006 - Had my fistula placed & ready to go
- 2010 - My little Miracle was born 6/mths into the pregnancy, weighing 2.4 lbs & 13.25 in long
          - Found out my PRA is 100% & I have antibodies that CAN'T be decreased
- 2013 - Oct. 2nd  *** I finally received my kidney!!! ***
          - Dec. 3rd I had 3.5 parathyroids removed, due to them interfering w/my new kidney.
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2015, 08:17:59 AM »

I know this is an old thread, but it seems like it's still very relevant. When I was called, I wasn't given any information other than "It's a good match." I never learned the age, gender, or location of my donor. They would only tell me "it's a great match." My center doesn't use 1-6 antibody matches. They said antibodies aren't all created equally and the key antibody, the one responsible for rejection or acceptance, was a match, making the others much less important. Later, I commented that I assumed the kidney was likely a male because it's a large kidney. The transplant doc said I was probably right, but he didn't know. Kidney size is related to height, so it was likely from a tall person. That's the most I ever found out.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2015, 09:20:52 AM »

Is the kidney CMV + or - (only relative if you are CMV -)

What is the KDPI of the offered kidney?   (lower is better, you will not get <= 20% unless your EPTS is in the top 20%).    Understand what this number means before you get the call, and have a conversation with a nephrologist who is not on the transplant team to get a good idea as to how high a standard you should have.     I know I would accept a 21% KDPI, and decline an 85% KDPI organ - but have not yet figured out where the cutoff is.    Plenty of time to figure that out before my number comes up.  Once you hit age 54, no amount of "goodness" in other factors (diabetic status, time on dialysis, previous transplants) will give you an EPTS under 20%, so no soup for you.  (actually "No kidney with a KDPI under 20% for you")
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 09:26:28 AM by Simon Dog » Logged
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2015, 09:24:12 AM »

What is the KDPI of the offered kidney?   (lower is better, you will not get <= 20% unless your EPTS is in the top 20%)

These are great questions, but when that call comes, I don't know how many of us would think to ask them, especially if you are doing your grocery shopping or are picking up the dry cleaning when the phone rings.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2015, 09:28:54 AM »

What is the KDPI of the offered kidney?   (lower is better, you will not get <= 20% unless your EPTS is in the top 20%)

These are great questions, but when that call comes, I don't know how many of us would think to ask them, especially if you are doing your grocery shopping or are picking up the dry cleaning when the phone rings.

Nobody will think to ask these questions if they are not prepared.    The better equipped you are to talk to the MDs using their terms, the better information you will get.    A lot gets lost in the translation when doctors "simplify" explanations for patients who cannot understand the terminology.

You can calculate your EPTS score at http://optn.transplant.hrsa.gov/converge/resources/allocationcalculators.asp?index=82.    Remember, the only thing that matters for allocation is "is you score 20% or lower".  If yes, you are in line for choice meat if it becomes available.   If not, and a choice organ comes up, you will be bypassed on the list in favor of someone with a better EPTS score and only get the organ if nobody behind you on the list is a match with an EPTS <= 20%.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 09:30:38 AM by Simon Dog » Logged
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2016, 10:56:51 PM »

Forgot one: It is a high risk donor?
iolaire
Elite Member

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2016, 05:35:43 AM »

You can calculate your EPTS score at http://optn.transplant.hrsa.gov/converge/resources/allocationcalculators.asp?index=82.    Remember, the only thing that matters for allocation is "is you score 20% or lower".  If yes, you are in line for choice meat if it becomes available.   If not, and a choice organ comes up, you will be bypassed on the list in favor of someone with a better EPTS score and only get the organ if nobody behind you on the list is a match with an EPTS <= 20%.
new link: https://optn.transplant.hrsa.gov/resources/allocation-calculators/epts-calculator/

Transplant July 2017 from out of state deceased donor, waited three weeks the creatine to fall into expected range, dialysis December 2013 - July 2017.

Well on dialysis I traveled a lot and posted about international trips in the Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories section.
jonah

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2016, 08:21:32 PM »

I am not sure why you would want to know "cause of death". My drs. at 2 hospitals said, "the only question you need to ask is: "if you were my younger/older brother, would you recommend I take it?" The Dr. has to offer you a viable kidney, but if you make the question personal may also give a subjective answer that has already incorporated any questions you have. That makes sense to me...
OneForTheBirds

« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2017, 12:42:28 PM »

I knew the kidney was tested for everything but I made sure to ask anyway.  It was negative for every disease it was tested for.  I could tell from the voice of the caller that this "extended criteria" kidney was going to be a good one.  My doctor said this was the highest performing cadaver kidney they've seen in the past 5 years, and they make 200 transplants a year.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2017, 02:50:51 PM »

I knew the kidney was tested for everything but I made sure to ask anyway.  It was negative for every disease it was tested for.  I could tell from the voice of the caller that this "extended criteria" kidney was going to be a good one.  My doctor said this was the highest performing cadaver kidney they've seen in the past 5 years, and they make 200 transplants a year.
Just ask the KDPI score.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2017, 10:26:44 PM »

I am not sure why you would want to know "cause of death". My drs. at 2 hospitals said, "the only question you need to ask is: "if you were my younger/older brother, would you recommend I take it?" The Dr. has to offer you a viable kidney, but if you make the question personal may also give a subjective answer that has already incorporated any questions you have. That makes sense to me...

There have been problems in the past when people were transplanted with organs from donors who had "unexplained fevers resulting in death." In one case the donor's organs passed on rabies.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 08:00:58 PM by okarol » Logged

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2017, 09:27:01 AM »

"extended criteria" kidney was going to be a good one.  My doctor said this was the highest performing cadaver kidney they've seen in the past 5 years
It strains credibility to consider a extended criteria (obsolete term, now it's KDPI > 85%) kidney would be "one of best cadaver kidneys they ever saw".  Just doesn't make sense.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »