I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2024, 01:36:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Clotting Graft
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Clotting Graft  (Read 5305 times)
newgrl

« on: November 12, 2012, 08:42:56 PM »

After about two weeks on dialysis, my graft clotted.  I had no problems with dialysis on Friday morning, November 2.  However, when I went in on Monday, November 5th it was not working.  At first, I was checking it every day.  I guess I just got busy over the weekend and I wasn't as diligent. 

Anyhoo, when I got to the clinic on Monday, it didn't work.  They sent me to Interventional Radiology.  I was scared to death, because I didn't know what was going to happen.  I didn't know if it would start back working.  And I didn't know if it would hurt.  They only gave me numbing medicine but it still hurt a lot... They eventually finished and sent me to Recovery.  However, the nurse in recovery said it wasn't working and the Doctor's came back and got me and I went back in.  Eventually I made it home around 10pm that night.  My mother spent the night to help take care of me.  We checked my arm at midnight, and it was working.  She woke me up again at 2pm and said it wasn't working.  So the next morning, I was admitted to the hospital.  I went back to surgery and my Vascular surgeon who placed the graft was able to fix it.  I ended up spending the night for observation and I had dialysis on Wednesday morning.

I am afraid that it will clot again.  If I clotted three times in only two weeks of being on dialysis, is this going to be something that happens all the time?  Is there any way to prevent clotting?  I don't know if I did anything wrong...  I don't sleep on the arm.  And I try not to use my left arm any more than necessary.  I don't lift anything too heavy.  Has anyone else experienced this? Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Newgrl
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 11:20:10 PM »

Has your nephrologist been notified or said anything? Maybe a blood thinner is needed like cummadin (sp?) or a cardiologist maybe needed to help with this issue.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 05:20:22 AM »

I would not jump to a blood thinner as we use Epogen to get more red blood cells.  What is your hemoglobin?  I would not go above 11.  If you do receive Epogen maybe they need to back off for awhile.  Learn your blood numbers.

After a few of these declots you will ask for a little sedation and you will say "screw the Radiologists" I want the vascular surgeon the first time around! 

Access problems are a nightmare.  I'm just going through a new round of them myself.  Then things will be okay for a couple of years.  I'm sorry you have to go through this.   :'(

Traveller1947

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 07:08:51 AM »

Best not to do anything drastic, newgirl.  I've had my graft for eight years now and it's still working well.  The first six months were not so easy though.  I had problems with clotting every few weeks and at one point it was the vascular surgeon who said it couldn't be fixed and it was the radiologist who fixed it!  Like you, I never slept on the arm or lifted anything heavy.  I think a new graft is just more prone to clotting.  All the best to you.
newgrl

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 03:11:06 PM »

Has your nephrologist been notified or said anything? Maybe a blood thinner is needed like cummadin (sp?) or a cardiologist maybe needed to help with this issue.

Chris,

Yes, I saw the nephrologist in the hospital.  I received blood thinners while I was there but they did not send me home on blood thinners.  I have started taking a baby aspirin though.

Newgrl
newgrl

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 03:15:10 PM »

I would not jump to a blood thinner as we use Epogen to get more red blood cells.  What is your hemoglobin?  I would not go above 11.  If you do receive Epogen maybe they need to back off for awhile.  Learn your blood numbers.

After a few of these declots you will ask for a little sedation and you will say "screw the Radiologists" I want the vascular surgeon the first time around! 

Access problems are a nightmare.  I'm just going through a new round of them myself.  Then things will be okay for a couple of years.  I'm sorry you have to go through this.   :'(

Rerun,

I have to take the Epo every session.  I don't know the exact number, but I am pretty sure my hemoglobin is low.  I didn't know that I could have asked for my vascular surgeon instead of the IR doctor's.  If it happens again I will go straight to my vascular doctor.  He did a great job fixing my arm.  Although I have more cuts and scars at least it is working.

Newgrl
newgrl

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 03:17:13 PM »

Best not to do anything drastic, newgirl.  I've had my graft for eight years now and it's still working well.  The first six months were not so easy though.  I had problems with clotting every few weeks and at one point it was the vascular surgeon who said it couldn't be fixed and it was the radiologist who fixed it!  Like you, I never slept on the arm or lifted anything heavy.  I think a new graft is just more prone to clotting.  All the best to you.

Traveller1947,

That is wonderful news to me that you have had your graft eight years.  I was told that generally they only last for two years.  I am hoping that I have a transplant by then...  A girl can only hope....

Newgrl
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 08:50:18 PM »

My graft lasted ten years.  I was lucky.  Unfortunately infection got it in the end and it was removed.  I have a fistula now.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
newgrl

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 06:24:48 PM »

My graft lasted ten years.  I was lucky.  Unfortunately infection got it in the end and it was removed.  I have a fistula now.

KitKatz,

That gives me more hope!  I hope my graft will last a long time.  I'm sorry to hear that your graft became infected.  But at least you have a fistula now.  Are you using the same arm for your fistula as your graft?  I would have to move to my other arm and I don't want to do that.  I am afraid I will run out of access locations.

Newgrl
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 11:37:38 PM »

Somehow my graft is still working after 12 years, but hasn't been used since December 2, 2000. Neph and transplant clinic check it with each visit or hospital stay I have. Thought I had a problem last month after knee surgery due to pain and swelling on one end. Luckily that went away by the  time I could call my neph. I didn't know who to call, but didn't like the PA answer either for the next time. She said to contact Primary Care, like they know what to do, they barely have a grasp of dialysis. :banghead;

Diabetes -  age 7

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

newgrl

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 11:46:06 AM »

Somehow my graft is still working after 12 years, but hasn't been used since December 2, 2000. Neph and transplant clinic check it with each visit or hospital stay I have. Thought I had a problem last month after knee surgery due to pain and swelling on one end. Luckily that went away by the  time I could call my neph. I didn't know who to call, but didn't like the PA answer either for the next time. She said to contact Primary Care, like they know what to do, they barely have a grasp of dialysis. :banghead;
Chris,

After your transplant they didn't remove the graft?  Will they ever remove it?  Wow, I was hoping that I would get a transplant and get this graft removed but I don't even know if I will get another one anyway. 

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 10:55:33 PM »

Chris,

After your transplant they didn't remove the graft?  Will they ever remove it?  Wow, I was hoping that I would get a transplant and get this graft removed but I don't even know if I will get another one anyway.

They wouldn't remove it because I may need it one day and the risk of surgery for it isn't worth it to them I was told.

I do not like having it, it itches bad at times, the skin easily breaks from scratching it, and it is unsitely to me. I do not think of it most days unless it itches or one of the pets comes to close for comfort.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

Rain

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 09:34:15 AM »

It's good to know that grafts can last a long time.  I am meeting with the vascular access client to discuss a new access after my 4.5 year fistula clotted. 

1988  Diagnosed with reflux and kidney damage
2006-  Diagnosed with Renal Failure and start dialysis in centre with catheter
2007- Fistula created and in centre hemo with fistula
2012- Fistula clotted and central line inserted
May 2014- Received Kidney from deceased donor
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »