I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:09:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  Low Phosphorous Diet
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Low Phosphorous Diet  (Read 3865 times)
Fatkidney

« on: November 12, 2012, 05:36:10 PM »

Hi everybody.  So my neph wants me to go on a low phosphorous diet. He gave me some papers with lists for the high and low foods in different categories.  Basically I thought what the frick is this??? Having a really hard time wrapping my brain around the idea of how this is supposed to work.  Does anybody know where I can find an actual guide, like a meal plan type document for this, like this is what I eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner? 

The whole reason my neph is having me do this isn't because my phosphorous is too high, but because my calcium is too low.  And my PTH is off a bit as well.

Good bye nuts.  I will miss you.  Sayonara cheese, what a wonderful relationship it was.  And beef...oh beef...I think I will miss you the most. 

June 2004 diagnosed with PKD
April 2012 Listed for transplant
November 2012 3rd and finally successful fistula placement, left basilic vein. Yay, it worked!
GFR down to 10.
Deceased donor transplant August 24, 2013.  Perfect match. So far so good!
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2012, 05:50:53 PM »

Do you take binders?

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2012, 07:43:36 PM »

FK, I've been looking for menus like that since I started. Haven't found anything yet, but that's not saying there isn't anything out there, I just haven't found it. The best I've been able to do is take the foods on the list and work them into my diet.

Good Luck!

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 08:08:29 AM »

Saying goodbye to your nuts had me a little confused but then I got it.   ;)

Binders are used to soak up the Phosphorus in your stomach.  Learn you high Phos foods so you can know when to take only 1 binder or 3 binders.  Note:  you may need a stool softener with eating too many binders.

The DaVital website has menus.     :waving;

Grumpy-1

Make me the person my dog thinks I am

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 08:19:50 AM »

I would think cut and paste menus would get boring after a while.  Using the list, you should be able to put together a menu that fit you and your lifestyle. 

Make me the person my dog thinks I am
Fatkidney

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 02:32:51 PM »

Thanks!  I am not on binders.  My neph has never mentioned them.  I will take a look at the DaVita site.  I am not a food planning type person so this whole restricted diet thing is the biggest pain in the butt of this whole situation so far. 

June 2004 diagnosed with PKD
April 2012 Listed for transplant
November 2012 3rd and finally successful fistula placement, left basilic vein. Yay, it worked!
GFR down to 10.
Deceased donor transplant August 24, 2013.  Perfect match. So far so good!
MaryJoe

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 08:44:05 AM »

I am so with you on the whole diet thing!  That was/is the hardest part of this whole CKD mess.  I remember standing in the grocery store in tears saying to my husband "I don't know what I can eat!".  I still hate trying to sort it all out - low carb, low protein, no salt, watch the phosphorus and potassium, blah, blah, blah...  I want a BLT with cheese and extra mayo!   Sigh...  :'( 

Whether the glass is half empty or half full is not as important as being thankful there's a glass and grateful there's something in it.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »