I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2024, 10:25:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  We have some thing new now!!!!!!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: We have some thing new now!!!!!!!  (Read 4053 times)
billybags
Elite Member

« on: October 24, 2012, 11:19:07 AM »

To-day we have found out my husband has foot and leg ulcers some thing else to add to our list. Our GP and pediotrist have been batting us back ward and forward for the last 2 weeks. Enough I thought, so we saw the GP nurse and straight away she said, "those are ulcers" and she is sorting us out. Having a test next week and then she is referring my husband to a vascular surgeon. Is any one else suffering with these. I know its to do with poor circulation, what happens next?
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 02:15:33 PM »

no advice just  :cuddle;  (though i dont like that those yellow huggers are smiling, i guess im hugging you with a smile on our faces???)  anyway, prayers and hopes

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 04:37:59 PM »

Oh, Billy.....

Enough is enough.

:grouphug;

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 01:03:20 AM »

Never had that but it sounds awful. I hope that someday soon he catches a break. You both deserve something to go right.  :grouphug;
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 01:26:12 AM »

Yikes, no, never had that, and Ihope his are straightened up right away if possible. HUGS

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
brenda seal

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2012, 05:45:59 AM »

It never rains but it pours hey billybags ! Today we found out that what we thought was bruising on Laurie's big toe is dry gangrene and he is also being referred to a vascular surgeon . There are spots on a couple of toes on his other foot also . The neph said his toe will either drop off or have to be cut off . He is not a diabetic but doc thinks poor circulation made worse because he has virtually been bed bound for the last few months . I don't know whether to laugh or cry - it is unbelievable . He goes back into hospital next Wednesday to have numerous cancers removed from his head and neck and arm . They will have to remove most of his ear ! He has lost so much weight and they keep chopping bits of him off - he is disappearing before my eyes .
I don't know about your husband but before we see the vascular surgeon Laurie has to go for a test called peripheral arterial study . I hope everything will be OK for you both .
Brenda
stringbandbeth

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2012, 06:25:05 AM »

First things first see a vascular Doc to find out why there is circulation problems. I would also ask for a referral to a wound care center. They can do wonders with hard to treat ulcers in particular. My Mom in law suffered for a year before going to a wound center. They cleared her legs up in just a few weeks. Properly fitting support stockings can be very important too.

caregiver for husband on home dialysis 14 yrs
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2012, 10:38:01 AM »

Sh**  Brenda that sounds scary, hubby  is not a diabetic . I know he has really thin veins because he has had 3 fistula ops in as many years and none of them took.I think he has had a peripheral arterial study months ago and they wanted him to go on steroids, his neph was not that keen. I bet Laurie is right fed up, I really feel for you both. This disease is the pits.Take care.
MightyMike

Why do bad things always happen to good people?

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2012, 05:31:12 PM »

I read somewhere can't remember where that long term use of steroids can shrink veins and also dialysis after so long does the same.  It sounds like some type of venous disease he has I wish him all the luck and best wishes that they find out what it is and they can give him some relief because it sounds painful.

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
   -Walter Bagehot
==========================
December 2003 diagnosed with IgA Nephropathy 80% Function.
October 2004 started In-Center Hemo Dialysis Perma-Cath 5% Function.
September 2005 Living Related Donor (Mother) Transplant.
March 2009 Diagnosed CKD and IgA Nephropathy.
August 2009 Upper Left Arm Fistula.
November 2009 started In-Center Hemo Dialysis.
December 2010 started Home Hemo Dialysis.
January 2012 went back to In-Center Hemo Dialysis.
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 07:50:19 PM »

Man BB, I sure hate this. As you know, John is a diabetic and what that has resulted for him.  Thing is, just because he is not diabetic, he still has kidney disease.  There is always an underlying problem with the circulatory system when kidneys crap out.

John has been through hell and back with the ulcers, then gangerine and now amputations.  Not saying that will happen to your husband, but to open your eyes to the outcomes of diabeties and Poor circulation.  John has had two stints, a vein bypass (from groin to foot) on left leg. All toes on left been amputated and eventuallly below knee amput on his right leg. He went back and forth to wound care center, had a wound vac for months, and even had multiple sessions in a Hyper Barrack Chamber.  Very expensive and is only given to those who qualify.  Well he qualified! It was hellish for him.  Now, he is doing okay.

Look, you do what ever VS says.  Hope you have a good one.  John found a great one.  He has done all vascular surgeries since the start of it all!!!!  He txt me every now and then to see how he is doing.  Awesome caring man & his wife is sweet too.  They attribute his not having these problems like before, due to adequate dialysis.  I agree!

Girl, I will be holden you both in prayer.  Hopefully, it will be an easy fix! For yalls sake, I hope so.

Keep us posted BB,
God Bless,
lmunchkin :kickstart;

P.S. Please, all who have ESRD, keep an eye on your feet.  Just because you may not have diabeties, you do have an underlying circulatory issue, so please protect your feet!  You don't need amputations on top of your Kidney problems.

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 08:13:31 AM »

ugh no fun. my thoughts will be with you

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 10:20:22 AM »

Sorry to hear this, billy. "Something new" is a dreaded phrase with this disease - there are certainly no shortage of horrifying surprises.

Hoping this gets sorted for your husband soon.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 10:26:43 AM »

Thanks for all the info.  A new one appeared on his leg to-day, shi*. Talked him into some new shoes yesterday. They are beautiful, very soft leather and they will not put pressure on his feet. He nearly collapsed when told the price. I can not remember the last time he treated his self to shoes. This is getting scary when they start to pop up in other places.
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2012, 08:53:11 PM »

How is he doing BB?  Are they treating his sores?  Been thinking of you alot!!!

lmunchkin :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 03:41:56 AM »

Hi lmunchkin, thanks for the thoughts. He went for a Doppler test last Friday with the nurse and apparently one of his leg pulses is not very good and the other one is only slightly better. She has arranged an appointment with a vascular person to see if any thing can be done. meanwhile I have been dressing them and they are drying up, so fingers crossed. I also have been looking into "medical Manuka Honey"  apparently you can get it  in impregnated gauze strips,  very expensive but works.  I think it would be the last resort for the NHS because of the expense.    I think I will get saving up.  He   loves his new soft shoes.
MaryD
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2012, 03:57:20 AM »

BB - I have heard that paw-paw cream is good  for ulcers, too.  It might be called papaya cream/ointment in other parts of the world.  It is supposed to have enzymes that work for the good.  Good luck!
Grumpy-1

Make me the person my dog thinks I am

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 07:16:39 AM »

question to all --  Is tingling in the feet and hands signs of poor circulation?    My feet are tingling most the time.  Somewhat like the tingle you get when your arm or hand "goes to sleep" because you laid on it wrong.   Grumpy.   I was thinking it was because I dehydrated - not sure now.

billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 10:31:19 AM »

Grumpy  I don't really know. I should imagine tingling is good,, at least there is feeling there.,
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 10:40:46 AM »

Grumpy, I don't think the tingling is ok if it is happening most of the time. You should tell your doctor about it.
MaryJoe

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2012, 11:18:40 AM »

Grumpy - Tingling  in your hands or feet can be caused by impaired circulation and also by neuropathy (nerve damage).  You should definately tell your doctor about this.

Whether the glass is half empty or half full is not as important as being thankful there's a glass and grateful there's something in it.
Grumpy-1

« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2012, 04:24:13 AM »

Thanks all - Have a Dr appointment next week, will bring it up and see what he says.  Grumpy

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »