I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 28, 2024, 02:27:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  having to redo the hepatitis series
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: having to redo the hepatitis series  (Read 3229 times)
sullidog
Elite Member

« on: October 17, 2012, 06:47:07 PM »

This is sort of a rant but a bit concern for me too.
Yesterday I got told I had to get the hepatitis series again when I just got it last spring, I asked why? The nurse told me it is probably do to something being not high enough in my blood work, she said the name but I don't remember. but she said they, which I don't know who they is would of told me if it was. So she was going to check because I needed a reason, well she never gave me a reason which in my mind it sounds to me like no one ever documented me getting this shot.
Anyways I am concerned about getting this series again since I recently got it, wouldn't another series of these shots raise my antibody levels anymore? I don't want this second round of shots affect me getting a transplant, does anyone know if it will? Also could this overdose me?
I feel that I should be given a reason and not just uh I don't know it could be this or it could be that, somewhere there should be documented of why I have to have this shot again, my FMC center requires it so I doubt I can refuse it. Is this policy for FMC? cause my other center I went to in the past it was optional. Also the last time I did have the series they had to redo the 4th one, but of course again I got no reason as to why other than it's not in the records, uh it's in my records called a brain people, my guess you people aren't documenting your patients properly.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
MightyMike

Why do bad things always happen to good people?

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 07:30:19 PM »

They test your hep antibodies through bloodwork.  I have had to have mine redone a few times some people can go for a few years before needing another set it depends on the person.  They usually test every year to see your level and whether or not you need another set.  Hope his helps.

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
   -Walter Bagehot
==========================
December 2003 diagnosed with IgA Nephropathy 80% Function.
October 2004 started In-Center Hemo Dialysis Perma-Cath 5% Function.
September 2005 Living Related Donor (Mother) Transplant.
March 2009 Diagnosed CKD and IgA Nephropathy.
August 2009 Upper Left Arm Fistula.
November 2009 started In-Center Hemo Dialysis.
December 2010 started Home Hemo Dialysis.
January 2012 went back to In-Center Hemo Dialysis.
smcd23

The patient, the baby and the donor - October 2010

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 07:58:11 PM »

My husband on D had to have the Hep B series about a half dozen times now, and he still doesn't have antibodies. His old PD nurse said that some people just don't develop them no matter how many times they get the series. From what I have read when looking it up, certain patients (dialysis and AIDS patients for example) have a hard time developing or keeping the antibodies after the series, needing multiple series or boosters.

From the wikipedia article: Poor responses are mostly associated with being over the age of 40 years, obesity and smoking,[14] and also in alcoholics, especially if with advanced liver disease.[15] Patients who are immunosuppressed or on renal dialysis may respond less well and require larger or more frequent doses of vaccine.[10] At least one study suggests that hepatitis B vaccination is less effective in patients with HIV.[16]

So I think it's pretty safe to say it's common, and you shouldn't worry too much. You're definitely not alone!

Caregiver to Husband with ESRD.

1995 - Diagnosed with vesicoureteral reflux and had surgery to repair at age 11. Post surgery left side still had Stage I VUR, right side was okay. Both sides were underdeveloped.
2005 - Discovered renal function was declining, causing HBP. Regular monitoring began.

March 2008 - Started transplant evaluation for preemptive transplant due to declining function.

September 16, 2008 - Transplanted with my kidney.
September 18, 2008 - Kidney was removed due to thrombosis in the vessels in and leading to the kidney.

October 2008 - Listed in Region I

May 2009 - Started in Center Hemo
January 2010 - Started CCPD on Liberty Cycler

June 15, 2012 - Kidney transplant from a 43 year old deceased donor
June 22, 2012 - Major acute rejection episode and hospitalization began
June 27, 2012 - Nephrectomy to remove kidney after complete HLA antibody rejection. Possibly not eligible for another transplant, ever again.

Now what?
The Lady

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 11:10:28 PM »

And the reason they do it is to know where to seat you when and if there are patients with Hepatitis in the Unit. Also you have to be seated away from the isolation area if you don't develop the antibodies.

I had to have a second series a couple months ago, too. The first one didn't take with me either. But my unit stops with twice. If it doesn't take the second time, they just mark it down as failed and will keep us away from infected patients.
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2012, 09:46:46 AM »

The antibody levels you develop for Hepatitis are totally separate from the antibodies they talk about for transplant. Repeating this should not affect you getting a transplant. So you can make a decision without worrying about that.
Cynna66

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 04:30:48 PM »

Those shots annoy the !@$% outta me! I always get to the second set in the series and then EVERYONE forgets to administer the third so I never complete them and have to start all over again. And of all the shots I've gotten in my life those hurt the most for some reason. Having soreness in both arms might have something to do with it. OUCH! >.< Jerks!!!

Dialysis and I have an understanding
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 06:08:17 PM »

Yes those shots do hurt for some reason and make your arm stiff! not good for someone like me who types at a computer all day.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
tiredandthirsty

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 10:07:53 AM »

"titers" is the word you are looking for.  some individuals just don't develop enough hep b titers once the vaccine is administered.  and you have to meet some threshold to be considered immune to hep b. 
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 05:24:58 PM by tiredandthirsty » Logged
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 02:00:42 PM »

I have had the hep B series three times, it did not take at all. Need it again Sigh!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 10:26:55 PM »

I hated the Hepatitis shots.   :Kit n Stik;
cookie2008

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 10:41:52 PM »

While I was working my job offered the hep series which I did and a couple of years later when I started dialysis I had to have them over again, now every so often I get a booster shot, which I rather have them then having a chance of getting hepatitis.

Started PD in 11/07
Started Hemo in 7/08
Started NxStage 5/09
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »