I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:44:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  PD belts
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: PD belts  (Read 18521 times)
Whamo
Elite Member

« on: October 16, 2012, 03:32:17 AM »

I woke up to find my PD tube flopping around.  Does anyone use these PD belts they sell?  Are they worth the money?  They look expensive.
MaryD
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 04:06:31 AM »

I've been using Stickman belts for the last three months and I'm very happy with them.  I thought they're were a little pricey, but they are very comfortable and are washing well.
Grumpy-1

Make me the person my dog thinks I am

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 05:30:46 AM »

I got my belts from the Dialysis clinic I go to.  They gave me 3 the first time and now gave me one more.  I've looked belts up on line and agree they are expensive.  But I like mine.  Keeps the tubing secure and I don't have to tape it to me.  Grumpy

Make me the person my dog thinks I am
JLM

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 07:30:09 AM »

My tip is for the women, I bring the catheter up the side of my bra and tuck the end into my "cup".  I have 2 belts and I sweat under the belt as it rides just at the bra line.  It stays very secure there.

I'm just where God wants me to be, not one step ahead nor one step behind.
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 09:16:44 AM »

I have used the Stickman belts for the past year and have found the very comfortable. The are a bit pricy, but they do last a long time and wash right up. I have 5 regular ones that I use during the day and one mesh that I use in the shower. Have not had any problems with them at all.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 10:34:45 AM »

My center gave me a belt then my mother mad me more. But most of the time I just tucked it in the side of my underwear. I taped it to my belly when I took a shower because I didn't like it hanging.
Willis

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 11:58:43 AM »

I found that I developed a terrible allergic reaction to tape after using it for several months. The Stickman belts were pricey but I bought 7 or 8 of them 2 years ago and they are all still in perfect condition. (They are hand-washed and air dried.) Now I feel uncomfortable without my belt on!

amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 02:20:59 PM »

couldn't stand them.  uncomfortable IMO.  tucked catheter down my underwear when not in use and just connected up.  just automatically adjusted to not tuggin on it.  this thing was in for eight years and once healed was well anchored in.  if I did accidentally pull on it, it was just uncomfortable didn't hurt.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2012, 03:42:56 AM »

I checked out a half-dozen different belts online.  I decided to try two "dialysis t-shirts" with pockets for the hose.  They were priced about the same as the less expensive belts.
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 09:52:40 AM »

these sound like a good idea.  never heard of these.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
JLM

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 06:20:42 PM »

I did some web searching and found a place (Carriagehouse Enterprise) that sells t-shirt with a catheter opening.  Since I wear tees to bed I ordered two of them.

billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 03:50:44 AM »

Stickman belts are the way to go!    Go stickman go
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 01:01:21 PM »

I just ordered some Stickman belts.   :2thumbsup;
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2012, 09:08:25 AM »

I got my t-shirts for PD, and they work great. 
tito

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2012, 01:33:28 PM »

Have used Stickman belts for about three years. They work very well, but do sometimes tend to ride up or get caught underneath the waist of my pants. I looked at the Carriagehouse shirts - to me they were quite unappealing.

For showers, I just use some tape. Throw the whole thing away along with my dressing.
JLM

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2012, 07:11:59 AM »

I just received my t-shirts and used one for the first time last night.  Fantastic!!!  In bed I didn't have to worry where my catheter was, no alarms when I turned over.  I bought the tee as a night shirt and if last night was a sign of how well they work, HURRAY

blondie1746

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2012, 02:51:26 PM »

I use a device from Patent's Pride.  It is elastic, and custom-made to your measurements, so it fits well.  They sell them in the groups of 3, and they are a little pricey.  But, my insurance company paid a porion of it as an assistive device.  At night, I don't use anything, just tuck it into my underwear.  I have never had a problem tugging on it, etc.  I don't use anything in the shower, because it doesn't bother me to leave it hanging.

But after reading about the Carriage House t-shirts, I am going to order one and give it a try. 
komomai

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2012, 02:32:59 AM »

Mahalo to the forum for the t-shirt suggestion.  Ordered from Carriagehouse and just tried one on and their great!  I've used stickman belts for about 2 years and the biggest thing that I see is that there's no belt riding up and down with the t-shirt.  :yahoo;

Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2012, 04:50:35 AM »

:thumbup; Shaka, brah, shaka.  I like my belts, but yeah, they ride up and down.  No problem with the shirts, and they cost about the same.  I do like the black belt for use in the shower.  I lived in Hawaii for  few years, and I really miss it during November.  I'm just glad I surfed as long as I did as often as I did. 
blondie1746

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2012, 08:33:37 PM »

I got my t-shirt in from Carriage House and I love it.  So much more comfortable than my Patient's Pride band.  Although since I only bought 1 camisole, I still wear the PD band when it is in the wash.  Now that I have one, I might try to convert some of my t-shirts/camis into something similar. (I sew and have been trying to think of more comfortable ways to secure the catheter, now I have a pattern!)
JLM

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2012, 07:41:12 AM »

During the day, I run my catheter up under my bra at my side and tuck the end in the cup.  With a little adjusting it doesn;t show through my top.

Lexxtech18

Be good to yourself when nobody else will.

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2013, 05:28:58 PM »

I love the Stickman belt; can hardly tell its there and it doesn't pull like the one they give you in training. Only problem I've found is mine likes to roll up my hips ans bell at times but that could just be cuz I'm a curvy lady. Lol

Diagnosed with Bilateral Hypoplastic Kidney Disease - 1990
First Livinig Donor Transplant (from my mommy!) - October 3, 1996
Transplant Failed/Put on Hemodialysis - May 2005
Second Kidney Transplant (deceased donor) - July 2010
Transplant Failed/Restart In-Center Hemodialysis - February 2011
KidneyWife

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2013, 10:39:59 AM »

Another Stickman patron here  :thumbup;

- Paulette

• 37 y.o. husband diagnosed with IGA nephropathy w/ ESRD & hypertension 12/31/12
• GFR 5%
• started CCPD on 3/6/13
• waiting to be accepted into a transplant program
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2013, 02:10:11 AM »

I have just this minute ordered 2 more. We have had the others for well over a year, they are brilliant.
CW

Yeah .............That's me!

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2013, 12:15:02 AM »

When I was on pd I got a patients pride belt. Designed by a patient (Shiela Shaw) and she owns the company. Also your insurance may cover all or part of the cost. I thought it was cool that a actual patient designed it for patients and is running the company.

*Common Sense is an uncommon thing

20 years navigating ESRD
Had a transplant but it rejected

To all of my kidney brothers and sisters who have left too soon -
Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling in at night.  I miss you like hell.  ~Edna St Vincent Millay
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »