I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:47:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  PD belts
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PD belts  (Read 18519 times)
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2013, 01:19:08 AM »

I'm fairly sure these belts were developed by a patient as well.
papacat

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2013, 11:53:14 PM »

I have tried several different types of catheter holders and found they all work, but some work better for me than others. I am 6 ft. 2 in. tall. My catheter was modified by the clinic to add a transfer set to work with the Baxter supplies. This makes the catheter/transfer set about 10 to 12 inches long. I am using a Baxter CCPD cycler at night.

PD-BELT by Frank Stubbs Co. Inc. comes in sets of three belts in a package. I probably have used these the most. I found them to irritate me because all the Velcro used in it caused it to stick together and to each other when hanging up to dry. Sometimes I was starting to wonder if I would get one free to use. I would put one on in the morning, wear it all day, use it to hold the cycler patient line to me at night and then in the morning shower. After the shower I would hang up the wet one and put on a dry one. The main issue is that it wanted to ride up and down requiring me to tape it in place vertically.

PD SECURITY BAND by Patient's Pride, Inc. can be ordered in any amount over the minimum 3. I found them to be very comfortable to wear but clumsy to put on and adjust. It is a continuous wide band about 8 inches wide. You step into it and pull it up into place. I had to fidget with it to get my long catheter/transfer set into place in the pocket. I didn't like showering in it because it was so wide and I couldn't easily wash under it. It wasn't designed to hold the patient line at night. I used it during the day and then switched to the PD-BELT for night and showering.

TUCK-AWAY-BELT from Stickman Industries Inc. can be ordered in any amount. This belt can be used for daytime, nighttime and showering. It is easy to use. The two main issues was, one, that it wanted to ride up and down requiring me to tape it in place vertically, two, my long catheter/transfer set was a large loop from the exit site to the pocket on the belt requiring me to tape the loop in place.

V-Neck T-Shirt from Carriagehouse Enterprises can be ordered in any amount. They do have different styles but I bought the V-Neck style. They also have a Shower Caddy belt available because the T-Shirt wouldn't be good for showering. I found out about these from this topic I am posting to tonight! This is the best option for me so far. The only problem I have is that the button hole, Velcro retainers and pocket need to be higher on the T-shirt for me. I will be contacting them to see if they can change the position of these on the T-shirt. The instruction pictures they provide are not very easy to see. I had to use a bright light and a magnifying glass to see the images. I also like their Shower Caddy.

I would like to thank those that posted to this topic with their ideas. This is what makes IHD great.

papacat

« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 10:35:41 PM by papacat » Logged
JLM

« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2013, 11:32:35 AM »

I let my catheter hang loose during my shower; I use the Carriagehouse T-Shirt at night. I don't use the button hole I just bring the catheter up from under bottom of the shirt and secure it in one of the velcro tabs.  During the day I bring it up my side, under my bra and tuck it into the cup.    That part won't work a guy though.    :rofl;

I'm just where God wants me to be, not one step ahead nor one step behind.
papacat

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2013, 11:02:23 PM »

"I use the Carriagehouse T-Shirt at night. I don't use the button hole I just bring the catheter up from under bottom of the shirt and secure it in one of the Velcro tabs."

JLM, when you secure the catheter, are you actually securing the catheter or the patient line or both?

I called CarriageHouse about a T-shirt with the button hole, Velcro and pocket moved up 3 inches. They said they could do it and I ordered it. Your idea of going under the T-shirt and securing the tubing with Velcro might work for me also. I will try it tomorrow night since I am already connected tonight.

My exit site is about 1.5 inches above and to the left of the button hole in the standard T-shirt.

Thanks for the feedback.

papacat
JLM

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2013, 07:06:58 AM »

I  just use one velcro tab fastened between the connection to the catheter and the clamp on the extension line.  It takes the "pull" away from my exit site and keeps the line from kinking in bed.     I know what you're talking about with the lenght of yours.  One summer I was in WI for 3 months and they only had a Baxter clinic there and I had to use an adapter from Fensenius to Baxter about 6 inches) then the Baxter extension was added.. 

papacat

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2013, 12:30:30 AM »

I  just use one Velcro tab fastened between the connection to the catheter and the clamp on the extension line.  It takes the "pull" away from my exit site and keeps the line from kinking in bed.     I know what you're talking about with the length of yours.  One summer I was in WI for 3 months and they only had a Baxter clinic there and I had to use an adapter from Fensenius to Baxter about 6 inches) then the Baxter extension was added..

JLM - I tried your idea of not using the button hole and going under the bottom of the shirt. It made it easier to clean the transfer connection with Alcavis50 and connecting to the patient line because the catheter had more freedom of movement. Thanks for the idea.

papacat
JLM

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2013, 06:34:17 AM »

[q

JLM - I tried your idea of not using the button hole and going under the bottom of the shirt. It made it easier to clean the transfer connection with Alcavis50 and connecting to the patient line because the catheter had more freedom of movement. Thanks for the idea.

papacat
[/quote]

I have gleaned so much info from here and I am happy you have found one of my hints helpful.

Old Fool

« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2017, 12:17:22 PM »

Patient's Pride is out of business.  10/10/17

Two words: Inevitable and irreversible
IOnlyGet5

« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2017, 02:27:22 PM »

I haven't started training yet (catheter placement surgery complications) but when I asked my clinic PD nurse about a belt she said she didn't like any if them & didn't recommend them. Thank heaven for you folks posting & for I Hate Dialysis.com!  I'm going to try Stockman belts first. I don't even have my transfer set yet & already the tube is bothersome. Nurse keeps taping the tube with the pointy end of the plastic clip thing jabbing me all day.
IOnlyGet5

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2017, 04:00:53 PM »

I went to Stickman site but all it says is Small, Medium, Large & Extra large...no measurememts...I'm a lower plus size WITHOUT any fluid.

Suggestions or your experience on how these belts are sized?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »