I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:48:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  Legal Chocolate on Dialysis!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Legal Chocolate on Dialysis!  (Read 8998 times)
Ricksters

« on: October 11, 2012, 03:33:24 PM »

I'm now a happy camper...the dietian has sent me a list of chocolate candy that I can have in moderation!  A 1.5 oz. York Peppermint Patty has 0 mg. of phosphorus and 48 mg. of potassium, 165 calories!  Though she was kidding yesterday when she told me she was going to email me a list of things for my chocolate cravings!  Up til I went on dialysis, I was a chocoholic...I now have my peppermint in the freezer...I will be in 7th heaven tonight!
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 04:09:55 PM »

:bandance; :bandance; :bandance;

I learned two tricks for mine while on D - freeze hershey kisses, and suck on them - no more than one or two a day.  And get fun packs of m and m's to suck on.  Sucking on them like hard candy makes the flavor last a really long time, while solving my craving problems.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 10:53:00 PM »

I learned two tricks for mine while on D - freeze hershey kisses, and suck on them - no more than one or two a day.  And get fun packs of m and m's to suck on.  Sucking on them like hard candy makes the flavor last a really long time, while solving my craving problems.

I wish I thought of that while on dialysis, but I had to sneak any type of sugar in even while on the pump. Those Hershey drops are also good frozen and I think smaller than the Kisses. However the Kisses with the air bubbles maybe a better choice.

Now I'm craven chocolate right now.

Maybe it's just me, but when I have the York Peppermint Patties I do not taste much of the chocolate unless I get the special edition chocolate mint center ones.

I wonder if chocolate hard candies would be a good option also, that is if you can find them in your area.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Ricksters

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 10:47:36 AM »

HHmmm...new ideas to think about!  Hershey's kisses and m&m's are both on the "good" list.....will get some of each to pop in the freezer for the days when I really need a fix!  :thx;Thanks for the tips!

Smiles,
Ricki
MomoMcSleepy

My son Roddy McSleepy at 6 months! sry pic sidewz

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 11:07:13 AM »

I get mini chocoalte bars as a special treat, but hide them from myself or I lose track and go overboard.  Once a week might be a good limit.

I am terrible at sucking on Hershey's kisses and always give up and bite down.  Freezing them is a great idea! 

also like cookies that have chocolate chips or drizzle....I FEEL like I'm being less bad, but southwind have to check with your dietician cause I'm pretty sure we're supposed to stick to sugar cookies!

also, I'm not on the D yet and might have more wiggle room....if my numbers are looking ok, I sill occasionally have a little treat that is rich, but Sven then, I am usually too scared to eat the whole thing, and sample half.  I had a pot du chocolat the other day, and it was everything I thoughts it would Ben but I wish my husband hadn't talked me out of asking for am little take home cup.  He made me feel silly, but I  really shouldn't have eaten the whole 1/2 cup serving.

35 years old, first dx w/  chronic renal insufficiency at  28, pre-dialysis

born with persistent cloaca--have you heard of it?  Probably not, that's ok.

lots of surgeries, solitary left kidney (congenital)

chronic uti's/pyelonephritis

AV fistula May 2012
Kidney Transplant from my husband Jan. 16, 2013
Howard the Duck
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 04:36:42 PM »

What's the whole theory behind "freezing" the hershey kisses? I don't understand.

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
Cynna66

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 04:06:34 PM »

Freezing them makes them last a little longer, which helps you eat less of them but still hit that chocolate craving right in the jaw. The longer it lasts in your face, the happier your crave centers are. I am down with that idea. And with freezing M&M's too. I haven't thought of that before. I just have to FORCE myself to not buy the peanut ones. Ugh. So good! >.<

Can't say I am a big fan of peppermint. It always puts my guts in distress. Blech. We do not get along.

Dialysis and I have an understanding
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 04:34:26 PM »

It's the same theory as sucking on ice chips instead of water - lasts longer, tricks your taste buds into thinking they've had more.

I'm allergic to peppermint, so the original idea on this post would have been no help at all!  Although my throat swelling shut would certainly end my cravings, now wouldn't it?   ;D

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Ricksters

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2012, 03:49:13 PM »

Have tried the frozen kisses....works like a charm! :thumbup;

Ricki
YellowRose

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2012, 03:17:30 PM »

Those are great tips for a chocolate lover like me. Where were you when I was in dialysis for the past 6 years?! (FYI. got Transplant 9/13/2012)
Rose

Dec 1993 start with CAPD
May 1995 1st transplant
Jan 2007 start with CCPD
April 2011 start with Hemo
Sept 2012 2nd transplant
Cordelia
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 03:25:17 PM »

Thanks, everyone, for the tips on freezing.....I'll have to try it sometime           :thx;

I know these aren't renal friendly but Today I tried the 'new' snickers with peanut butter, bar. They are in two little squares. I tried half of one, it was gooood        :2thumbsup;
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 03:26:24 PM by Cordelia » Logged

Diagnosed with Polycystic Kidney Disease at age 19.
Renal Failure at age 38 (2010) came about 2 hrs close to dying. Central line put in an emergency.
Began dialysis on Aug 15, 2010.
Creatine @ time of dialysis: 27. I almost died.
History of High Blood Pressure
I have Neuropathy and Plantar Fasciitis in My Feet
AV Fistula created in Nov. 2011, still buzzing well!
Transplanted in April, 2013. My husband and I participated in the Living Donor paired exchange program. I nicknamed my kidney "April"
Married 18 yrs,  Mom to 3 kids to twin daughters (One that has PKD)  and a high-functioning Autistic son
Ricksters

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 03:46:49 PM »

Those are great tips for a chocolate lover like me. Where were you when I was in dialysis for the past 6 years?! (FYI. got Transplant 9/13/2012)
Rose

Congrats on the transplant!  I'm still working to get on the listhere...need to finish my fundraising...only $300 left to go!  I'm sorry...but 6 years ago I was still without the lupus that caused my esrd...so I was happily munching on all the chocolate I wanted.  Oh, for the good old days :)

Ricki
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 03:59:21 AM »

Yes, those new Snickers with peanut butter are the bomb.  I've only eaten one of them, but the memory sticks on my tongue.
Ricksters

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 04:40:55 PM »

I don't like peanut butter, so the new snickers are not for me.  I know my husband says I am un-American.....LOL!

Ricki
AnnieB

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 06:13:29 PM »

I see the dietician on Thursday, so I guess I'll find out what I can eat or not eat.....have been tracking my labs, not on D yet, still at EGFR 15 and holding steady at creatinine 3.25....but good to know chocolate can still be in my future... ;D
MomoMcSleepy

My son Roddy McSleepy at 6 months! sry pic sidewz

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2012, 11:01:41 AM »

How about some fudge?

http://www.davita.com/recipes/desserts/easy-low-phosphorus-fudge/r/4883

I made this, and it was a little squishy,  when my mom used to make fudge, it would get hard as a brick, so I  thought I did something wrong.  It's just less dense, I guess.

it's not Mackinac Island fudge, but it's yummy!  Very soft.

35 years old, first dx w/  chronic renal insufficiency at  28, pre-dialysis

born with persistent cloaca--have you heard of it?  Probably not, that's ok.

lots of surgeries, solitary left kidney (congenital)

chronic uti's/pyelonephritis

AV fistula May 2012
Kidney Transplant from my husband Jan. 16, 2013
Howard the Duck
Ricksters

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 12:52:50 PM »

MomoMcSleepy,

Cant believe I missed that on the Davita site!  Thanks for bring it to my attention :bow;

Ricki
BigJess

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2013, 12:26:44 PM »

Rickster, you just made my day!  I love pepermint patties!  :bandance;
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »