I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:46:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  food and drink questions- because im lazy lol
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: food and drink questions- because im lazy lol  (Read 4445 times)
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« on: January 10, 2013, 08:26:55 AM »

I know there is a world of info out there, and even on here already, but ive been looking most of the morning and i feel very overwhelmed. And i really want to try to do better with the diet, I've never really followed one heh i know im terrible!
I am not diabetic, so that isnt an issue, thank god! I struggle with low protein and high potassium and phos. (and i know its because i dont follow our diet very well)

My first question is drinks... I know the general info, soda is bad unless its clear, etc. What drinks are "ok" I dont want soda, and im kind of bored with water all the time... What are my best options?

Snacks are an issue with me because I am rather lazy when it comes to food. I want to just be able to open and enjoy, which I dont find it to be that easy with our diet... besides the popcorn and pretzels and cheeses, are there anything im missing out on?

Dinners I find to be a little easier to follow, but then comes that "easy" factor, for days like dialysis days... I dont have the energy to do much, so I tend to do easy things like hamburger helper! (AH! salt!!!) are there options better for us that are that easy? or even more easy?

I would love some yummy easy and cheap recipes! If anyone has any they would like to share here :) EASY AND CHEAP are the key words lol
Healthy stuff is expensive...

Thank you!!!

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
iketchum

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 09:10:39 AM »

Hello there. I cook chicken thighs in a crockpot/slow cooker with just a little BBQ sauce and make a chicken sandwich out of it. Takes about 3 or 4 hours to cook. As for drinks, I have apple juice alot and cranberry ginger ale. I have some kind of fruit on hand for my snack, sometimes canned peaches or pineapple.
I hope this helps some.
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 09:09:33 AM »

You like Hamburger Helper...okay. Here's what I do:
I keep different types of pasta on hand.
Brown your ground beef, add your water and some seasonings (Mrs. Dash is great!), pasta of your choice and cook for about 15-20 minutes.
Sometimes I will add a little sour cream or cream cheese at the end, depending on how I feel that night! You'll find that fixing it this way is not only better for you, it's loads cheaper!
Pasta is so cheap and easy to keep on hand.
Hope this helps get you started!   :wine;

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 10:01:19 AM »

apple juice, cranberry juice, grapefruit juice (if you're not on medication where you can't) binders, binders, binders. even with snacks. blueberries!!!!!!

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
gothiclovemonkey
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 10:33:05 AM »

i actually dont really dig the hamburger helper, but my son and bf LOVE it. LOVE It...
Ill definitely try making it "homemade" though!! I like cheaper, and definitely like the idea of less salt!

I kind of made a homemade HH last night, in fact... I took some rigatoni noodles, browned and seasoned my beef, and added some tomato sauce... I know tomato sauce is a no no but i was craving spaghetti, and my bf doesnt like spaghetti noodles, and we seriosuly need to go grocery shopping today, ive put it off and it shows LOL i have a ton of odds and ends, but nothing that really goes together...( like i have crap to make tacos, but no shells)

That always happens to me..ill have all sort of stuff,and have to create something new because nothing really goes together.How does this happen ?? lol

mmm crangrape juice.... i always forget about that stuff and it is Aahmazzing!
and those delicious italian ices... tiny cups, great for when you want something cold and delicious.

I should probably eat something before i go shopping!!!

"Imagine how important death must be to have a prerequisite such as life" Unknown
HemoDialysis since 2007
TX listed 8/1/11 inactive
LISTED ACTIVE! 11/14/11 !!!
Rain

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 03:45:16 PM »

stir fries are quck and easy.  i buy red thai curry and mix with chicken or beef stock too make a sauce for the meat and veggies.  sercve over rice or rice noodles.

1988  Diagnosed with reflux and kidney damage
2006-  Diagnosed with Renal Failure and start dialysis in centre with catheter
2007- Fistula created and in centre hemo with fistula
2012- Fistula clotted and central line inserted
May 2014- Received Kidney from deceased donor
tiredandthirsty

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 07:50:58 AM »

stir fries are quck and easy.  i buy red thai curry and mix with chicken or beef stock too make a sauce for the meat and veggies.  sercve over rice or rice noodles.

isn't chicken stock really high in sodium though?  i absolutely love hot and sour soup but i avoid most soups these days and i really miss it sometimes :-(
CebuShan
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 07:53:33 AM »

isn't chicken stock really high in sodium though?  i absolutely love hot and sour soup but i avoid most soups these days and i really miss it sometimes :-(

Make your own stock. Simple & freezes well.

Think GOD doesn't have a sense of humor?
HE created marriage and children.
Think about it! LOL!
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2013, 06:52:45 AM »

The best thirst quencher is lemon juice.  Take a lemon, cut in half, grind the juice out on one of those glass plates, and enjoy.  You get 8 ounces of thirst quencher in 1 ounce!  Lemons are also good for your body organs, especially the liver.  But don't swish it around in your mouth, as the acid may wear down your tooth enamel.  Lemons are cheap, but I just get mine off our tree. 
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »