I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:03:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  Periodical cravings
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Periodical cravings  (Read 7194 times)
Cynna66

« on: October 07, 2012, 05:58:21 AM »

I find that once every couple of months I get these incredibly strong cravings for fruit. Apples, grapes, pears, pineapple, tangerines, berries. Really whatever low K offerings I can get my hands on. Juices, too, especially grape. White or Conchord. I go CRAZY.  I am thinking I must be suffering from low vit. C or something. It lasts about a week or so and then I am back to normal. Does this ever happen to anyone else or am I just weird?

Dialysis and I have an understanding
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 07:04:00 AM »

At least you are craving things on the low potassium list.   How is your potassium doing?  If it is okay maybe incorporate some more low potassium fruits into your diet.  Grapes are so yummy this time of year.

My only cravings are for the bad stuff.  Chocolate, Milk, and Milk.

MaryJoe

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 07:11:48 AM »

Cheese...I get cravings for cheese that drive me crazy!  And sometimes salt, but mostly cheese, d@$%, I miss cheese!

Whether the glass is half empty or half full is not as important as being thankful there's a glass and grateful there's something in it.
Cynna66

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 07:40:59 AM »

My K has been pretty good lately. Upper 4's mostly. I crave oranges too, but I never eat those. Thankfully I have pretty good restraint in that area. I get the crave for chocolate every once in a while. If my labs are decent, I will indulge it. Milk, very rarely. Cheese absolutely cannot be in my house or I WILL eat it. LoL! I stick to cream cheese which keeps me happy for the most part.

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 11:45:29 AM »

Healthy women get cravings with the change in hormones every month - it never surprised me that I craved even more with a restricted diet!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Cynna66

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2012, 04:27:59 PM »

It could very much be a hormonal thing. I didn't really consider that. I don't mind craving things as long as I am allowed to have it. The worst is when I crave grapefruit. Those are a bit higher on the K scale than I'd like, but I will have a half of one from time to time. It's the juice I'm a real maniac for. DO NOT put grapefruit juice in my fridge and tell me I can't have any. That's not gonna happen. I WILL have some. Ha ha. I can resist orange juice (for the most part... >.> ) but I cannot get the siren song of grapefruit juice out of my head.

sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 06:09:47 PM »

I'm always craving pizza!

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 07:28:43 PM »

I'm with you sullidog, pizza! I can deal with the fruit cravings by having watermelon and pineapple in the house. Love to have those as a snack and they're not too bad.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
Cynna66

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 08:53:31 PM »

I am good enough in general that if I crave pizza, I just eat it. Also, Amy's has a pretty tasty cheeseless pizza. I get that sometimes. It's expensive though. http://www.amazon.com/Amys-Roasted-Vegetable-Organic-12-Ounce/dp/B002HTSDB0

I also discovered that pizza joints WILL make you a pizza without cheese and with scant sauce which is AWESOME. I know that basically makes it bread with stuff on it. But how does that change much?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 08:55:22 PM by Cynna66 » Logged

MaryJoe

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2012, 04:43:17 AM »

Dang it, sullidog!  Now I'm craving pizza!  Pizza...with extra cheese!

Whether the glass is half empty or half full is not as important as being thankful there's a glass and grateful there's something in it.
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 05:26:15 AM »

Pizza?  I crave pasta and tomato sauce (high K).  I crave ice cream!  I crave ham and swiss cheese hogi's.  I crave steak.  I crave Snickers.  I crave banana smoothies with strawberries.  I crave frapes from Burger King.  I crave iced coffee.   :yahoo; :2thumbsup; :clap; :rofl;
Grumpy-1

Make me the person my dog thinks I am

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 08:35:50 AM »

Pizza - isn't that one the standard food groups?    :rofl;

Make me the person my dog thinks I am
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 09:40:50 AM »

Grumpy. I think it's the standard food group. All the rest are just filler.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
noahvale
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 12:36:17 PM »

« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 07:43:19 PM by noahvale » Logged
noahvale
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 12:58:47 PM »

« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 07:42:36 PM by noahvale » Logged
Cynna66

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2012, 06:41:19 PM »

I find that once every couple of months I get these incredibly strong cravings for fruit. Apples, grapes, pears, pineapple, tangerines, berries. Really whatever low K offerings I can get my hands on. Juices, too, especially grape. White or Conchord. I go CRAZY.  I am thinking I must be suffering from low vit. C or something. It lasts about a week or so and then I am back to normal. Does this ever happen to anyone else or am I just weird?

I love bananas and baked potatoes loaded w/butter, sour cream and chives.  When I had my transplant, I had a banana a day and baked potatoes probably twice a week.  However, since it it so hard for me to exercise restraint w/the two, I have stayed completely away from them while on dialysis.  Have to treat these foods as an addict would alcohol!   

Although extended hours dialysis has given me more freedom in my eating habits, I still keep an eye on my K+ intake.

I will have to give that cherry limeade a shot, but I think it's the bitter/astringent properties of grapefruit I crave, rather than sweetness. Oh how I miss baked potatoes!! Fully loaded!! I often lament how I will you could leach a whole potato. I was just talking with a friend about tater tots and how I need to figure out a way to make them at home (I can be fairly crafty in the kitchen... I may just wing it). I know they could be successfully leeched ahead of time and then you just have to make a binding agent (and seasoning .. no salt of course!) and then try baking them and frying them and see which works out better. Then I can make SUPER TOTS with sour cream, green onion, a scant amount of cheddar, and crumble some bacon. I know I know... cheese and bacon are bad for us, but I am trying to go for that fully loaded baked tater theme. If figure if I go very light on each bad ingredient it will be enough to satisfy without going completely bonkers with it.

The only time I ever do banana is if I have someone who can eat the rest. I take a couple slices for myself in cereal or just to have a bite or two and give the normal person the rest of the banana. I do the same with oranges every once in a while. I will take two or three segments to savor and enjoy and give the rest to a friend or family member to finish. It works out pretty well. I get my fix without completely poisoning myself. Ha ha!

Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2012, 06:48:45 AM »

I had a Carl's Junior "Famous Burger" and a banana chocolate chip shake last night after my PD training session.  It was a bit off my renal diet, but such a sweet indulgence.  LOL.
Cynna66

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2012, 10:50:35 AM »

I feel like you have to occasionally cheat on the diet. I eat a lot more cheese than I should. And sometimes if I see my son is having a banana I will steal a bite just for the taste of it.

brenda seal

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2012, 02:58:24 PM »

Since starting haemo , Laurie constantly asks for crackers and cheese and soup ! These are things he never had in his diet before . He wakes at 3 to 4am and wants soup !
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2013, 10:10:08 AM »

When I was on hemo I'd crave protein.  I would binge on it.  Then I wouldn't be hungry the entire next day.  Now, on PD, I crave fluids, but I have to watch it because I carry too much fluid.  I limit myself to my morning coffee, an 8 oz. drink, and fruit.  Any more and I bloat.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »