I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 27, 2024, 12:27:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  I have to know
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I have to know  (Read 4024 times)
pagandialysis

« on: October 05, 2012, 09:56:21 AM »

I get up at 8:30 am, get picked up at 9 am, start treatment at around 9:45 am, and get home and go to bed around 5 pm. I don't get up until 5 am the next morning.

So I have to know, has anyone else ever gone to treatment after drinking (alcohol) just because you could? It occurred to me that I could have a Kentucky coffee (like an Irish coffee but we use Bourbon)  before my ride picks me up because I won't be doing anything at all that day.

Not saying that I would ever go drunk but that idea just came to mind.

Dining on Dialysis - www.diningondialysis.com
-------------------------------------------------------------
Kidney Transplant (December 31, 2014),
Dialysis-Hemo (Started May 17, 2011. Ended December 29, 2014),
AV Fistula #2 (This one is a Basilic Transposition),
CKD (IgA Nephropathy) Stage 5,
Hypertension (Under Control)
chinksnicky

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 10:04:53 AM »

I asked about this once and my tech told me she had a patient that always came in after drinking.I guess it really wouldn't help much because dialysis takes it out anyway.I have tried a glass of wine after treatment hoping it would help but I didn't like it.
cdwbrooklyn

Positive Thoughts equal Positive Energy

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 11:38:55 AM »

Pagan, I have a question; just curious.  Is the day you described is your routine after D treatments or just that particular day? 

Dailysis patient for since 1999 and still kicking it strong.  I was called for a transplant but could not get it due to damage veins from extremely high blood pressure.  Have it under control now, on NxStage System but will receive dailysis for the rest of my life.  Does life sucks because of this.  ABOLUTELY NOT!  Life is what you make it good, bad, sick, or healthy.  Praise God I'm still functioning as a normal person just have to take extra steps.
pagandialysis

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 05:11:01 PM »

Pagan, I have a question; just curious.  Is the day you described is your routine after D treatments or just that particular day?

What I described, minus the drinking, is a treatment day.

Cynna66

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 10:05:01 PM »

I have never actually done that myself, so I don't really have an answer from a personal stand point but I HAVE seen other people who came in loaded. I would be terrified I would become unruly and dislodge my needles or get belligerent. Not that I am that sort of a drunk, but ya never know, lol!! I actually find I drink way less booze since I lost my kidneys. I guess mostly I feel it is a waste when I could have juice or water or coffee instead. I'm more of a weed smoker.  :o ;D

Dialysis and I have an understanding
noahvale
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 10:11:49 PM »

^
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 07:50:06 PM by noahvale » Logged
Ricksters

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 05:06:21 PM »

I haven't had a drink since I started dialysis.  My neph told me I could have a glass of wine if I really wanted it, but I don;t think that one would be enough....I could see me polishing off a bottle every day or so....LOL!

Smiles,

Ricki
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 05:11:48 PM »

I loved wine before all this started. Once I got on dialysis and all the meds I tried wine again and it tasted terrible.  :puke; My dietician told me that the change in my electrolytes is the cause of the change and it would likely go away when I get a transplant. She also told me that hard liquor was better for me (us) than wine or beer because wine and beer are metabolized in the kidneys and hard liquor is metabolized in the liver. I do still have a beer every now and then, but haven't had wine in a long time. :(

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
Cynna66

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 01:05:00 PM »

I'm more of a weed smoker.  :o ;D

Ahhh - That explains the smoked salmon, lox and bagels obsession.
Ha ha ha >.< Busted  ;D

Dialysis and I have an understanding
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 01:15:56 PM »

I'm not a drinker at all, but one Friday before Dialysis the Sales Manager broke out some champagne because of a great billing week & I indulged a bit.  I wasn't really drunk, but buzzed when I arrived at Dialysis that evening.  I thought maybe it will help alleviate some of the needle pain, but it didn't.

I find after eight years of Dialysis, drinking alcohol makes me really sick.  I get really dizzy & it doesn't give me any positive effects at all.  Stopped drinking completely a few years ago & haven't missed it at all.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
pagandialysis

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 09:02:04 PM »

I love beer. I don't drink all the time though, I usually go one or two months between beers even before I started dialysis. I should rephrase that; I love microbrewery beer. There is something so amazing about craft beer. Though I don't dink it all the time I like to have some when I feel like it. My numbers are good enough, I really should update them here, that it wont really hurt too badly.

billyM

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 05:46:10 AM »

i have attended an HD session after a heavy night out rather the worse for wear.

it sobers you up kinda fast , thats for sure.

i find now that drink makes me puke  , and its not worth the hassle to be honest.

i too , will confess to be being a smoker lol .

much more pleasant AND it helps the aches in my legs.

i can see this turning into a confession thread LOL.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 11:48:34 PM »

Just the once.

I showerd up for my session and they weren't ready for me. Said it would be 20 mins or so. Nurse joked with me "Go to the pub have a red bull & vodka and come back" ... well I call that medical instruction, so... I did!!!  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; That was pretty funny even the nurse laughed and couldn't really argue with me, but he then knew to not make such suggestions again.

I did also, on rare occasions, have a drink while ON the machine... mostly during key football games I had my hip flask of vodka when my poor team would do badly or one year during the Grand Final (like the superbowl) when my brother and sister were at the big game, as their team was playing, and they lost.. and I felt sad...

The staff turned a blind eye because they knew it was not frequent or a problem, and I think it quite amused them. Yeah, I got on very well with my crew :)

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
mogee

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2012, 12:28:39 AM »

I always drink and smoke pot while I do my dialysis.  Since I am in my own home and responsible for my treatment I use very moderate amounts.  I still have do deal with alarms and possible machine problems.  My nephrologist knows of my practice and has not discouraged it.

PKD and IgA Glomerularnephritis
Nocturnal Home Hemo since 2004
Deceased Donor Transplant November 6, 2012
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »