I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2024, 05:25:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  New dialysis clinic and doctor are greats
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New dialysis clinic and doctor are greats  (Read 3843 times)
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« on: October 02, 2012, 05:43:13 PM »

I switched dialysis units the other day, after being told by my previous money-grabbing doc. that he wouldn't support me doing extended on the NxStage machine, and made a flippant comment that at least D. gives me a few extra years.  my new doctor is so agreeable to me trying extended, and is much more caring.  he has agreed that I shouldn't be on the mega doses of sensipar that I am on to control my PTH and that I should have my glands removed.

My new nurse is great too.  very supportive of a patient being self-managing and able to make changes without constant consult with her.  also believes that patients should be as independent of a care partner as much as possible.  so much my type of nurse.

I am just learning how to use Pureflow, as my last clinic never trained me on it.  looking forward to using it.  less boxes to clog up my home.  are planning to ship some to the UK so we can go and visit our families next year.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
noahvale
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 05:57:37 PM »

« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 08:00:09 PM by noahvale » Logged
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 06:05:50 PM »

This is Fantastic News Amanda.  I know you have struggled with the previous Doc.  What a Jerk!  I also believe you can overdo the Sensipar. John is prescribed to take it everyday, and I don't give it to him everyday.  Over time his PTH has dropped from 1700 to l98 last tested.  This has been over the last 5 months though.  He does take some Calcitrol and OTC Vitamin D.  His labs last month were Perfect.  Im so proud of him!

I never make a move without my Neph knowing what & why Iam doing a change.  She has been his neph since the start '2004 and we have a deep respect and understanding between us. She gave me her cell number years ago and if I need anything, I text her and she reply's.  I have always thought and felt, that she is the main reason that I feel comfortable with my decision makeing in regards to John.  Anyone that knows me, knows I wouldnt hurt him for the world!

Im so glad to hear this.  You are one strong lady, and I have always respected your tinasity (?).  Stick with it AW.

God Bless,
lmunchkin :kickstart;

P.S.  You are going to LOVE PureFlow.  The boxes will decrease immensly!!!!!

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
chinksnicky

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 07:41:03 PM »

Guess I'm luckier than I thought,my Neph/Nurse/Tech are all the best.Can you be a lucky dialysis patient?Mabye not but it seems you can be less unlucky!
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 08:08:57 PM »

..Im so happy for you Amanda... It's the best ever when that stuff works for us.  We love our neph, and 'may' love our center nurses, if only we could understand their language :(  That clarity barrier is tough and makes communication real hard sometimes...  well, and the fact that they are still fussen about getting us those 3/5 in needles..  :(

haha,, funny chinks...  I always feel weard when i say lucky about things like that, but yea, your lucky...

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
MaryD
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2012, 09:38:00 PM »

Guess I'm luckier than I thought,my Neph/Nurse/Tech are all the best.Can you be a lucky dialysis patient?Mabye not but it seems you can be less unlucky!

My doctors, nurses, PD clinic and renal ward are all bl...dy fantastic, too.  I feel so sad and cross when I hear about people who are missing out on decent support.
justme15

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 05:09:13 AM »

haha,, funny chinks... 

I'm a bit offended by this ?!
chinksnicky

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2012, 05:24:29 AM »

If it's the "chinks" that offends I suppose I should explain it was my father's nick name and the name of our buisness I have no idea where it came from and I mean no disrespect to asians.

haha,, funny chinks... 

I'm a bit offended by this ?!
justme15

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2012, 05:27:24 AM »

oh i get it now.. sorry. I didn't read completely.
cdwbrooklyn

Positive Thoughts equal Positive Energy

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 01:02:50 PM »

That’s great news!   :clap;  Let me know how it goes as I was strongly thinking about extended as well.  The only thing with that is that I do it Saturday mornings and don’t want to spend a half of day on Saturday on the machine.  However, if it works well, I probably can make a change to my schedule.   Also, with the glands removal, is it possible to do some researches before you decide to remove them?  I’ve read that when removing your glands, you will be on medicine to keep your numbers from dropping too low.  Is it possible to check to be sure this is not the case?
Best of luck!!!!

Dailysis patient for since 1999 and still kicking it strong.  I was called for a transplant but could not get it due to damage veins from extremely high blood pressure.  Have it under control now, on NxStage System but will receive dailysis for the rest of my life.  Does life sucks because of this.  ABOLUTELY NOT!  Life is what you make it good, bad, sick, or healthy.  Praise God I'm still functioning as a normal person just have to take extra steps.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »