I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:42:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  So thristy I can't stop drinking!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: So thristy I can't stop drinking!  (Read 7153 times)
Danielondialysis23

It is what it is..

« on: September 21, 2012, 06:35:19 AM »

On pd just started d 7/20/12 and I've been able to deal with everything except fluid.. All I wanna do is drink! I don't drink pop but so much water.. I'm 23 6'3 300 lbs.. I'm a big deal and love to eat and drink.. What can I do?
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 07:07:14 AM »

How much are you peeing out? How much kidney function do you have left? The more you have, the more you can eat and drink. Try your best not to use the 4s. If you are still using 1.5s(yellows), then you should be ok. And how is your blood pressure?

Lisa

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
Danielondialysis23

It is what it is..

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 07:27:24 AM »

Well I do pee a lot.. I'm on water pills and they seem to keep me going, I'm end stage and I think the doctor said I'm like 3%. They said I was to big for yellows, I've been on greens. But I've used red a few times, and I'm on extraneal at night.. My blood pressure was bad but they put me on another (the 3rd one) blood pressure pill and it got it down to 130/90
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 08:04:23 AM »

Danielondialysis23, Try a simple test: Have an empty jug at the ready and every time you have a drink put the equivalent in the jug just to see how much you drink a day.  It is amazing how much we drink to how much we think we drink if that makes sense.
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 09:05:16 AM »

try chewing gum. Sucking on ice, and limiting the salt in your diet

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 07:24:08 PM »

Drink from really small glasses.  I've heard that helps.

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
ryosaki

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 07:46:47 AM »

I use to have the same problem, and drank like crazy. I am use to the restrictions now, and can usually just drink without using any special tricks, but heres a few things that I use to do that I think helped alot. Have a menthol candy before drinking water, and take really small sips, it will almost feel like your gulping down the water. try and avoid thick drinks, like juices and milk, for me they only just make me wanna drink water. The main one though would be ice, but you probably know that one by now.
Joe
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 10:34:24 AM »

My Neph told me as long as I was still peeing, he was not going to put me on fluid restrictions. It sounds like you are in the same boat I'm in, I also do PD and am still making some urine. Check with your Neph before you panic. You may be ok. Good luck.

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.
Leave the rest to God...
Cynna66

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 04:25:06 PM »

Lately I have been having a horrific time with fluid gains, so I am in the same boat. I WISH I still made urine, it would make things a little less uncomfortable. I've been really strict with my fluid this week, trying to really tighten the reins. What I have been doing is adding lemon juice to my water. It makes me take smaller sips and not just binge through the whole cup in one go. The quench factor goes WAY up. I have tried hard candies, but I find the sugar in them only serves to make me thirstier. (Being on prednisone does not help matters) What I am doing instead of the candy is freezing grapes and sucking on those. It's easier to over do those, so I try to limit it to a 1/4 cup, twice a day. Sadly the K adds up with those. I was also told that slicing and freezing lemons and limes is helpful too. I am also going to try that (I LOVE sour and bitter flavors, so this works fine for me). I have tried chewing gum, but I find that if I chew it more than 10 minutes, my gag reflex kicks in and I get really nauseous. I don't know why and it's kind of weird, but I guess I am too.  :urcrazy;

Hope some of these ideas help? I know it seems to be working for me so far.

Dialysis and I have an understanding
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 06:41:55 PM »

I do not understand your neph's reasoning  about yellow and green bags if you still pee a lot.  You will still get good dialysis whether you are on yellow or green bags plus you are on Extraneal, so the solutes will be removed.  the stronger bags are designed to take off fluid.  the only explanation that I can think of, is that you are a fairly fast transporter across the membrane and would reabsorb quickly with yellow bags.  speak to your neph. and ask him why.  It is very important to advocate for yourself in this 'game'.  knowledge is power and you need to be an equal partner with you doctor in the decision-making process.   ESRD is unlike any other illness in some respects.  dialysis and all tat goes with it is a lifestyle and unfortunately the medical and nursing profession largely ignore this fact.  You have to know what is going on and why.  didn't mean this to sound like a lecture, but taking this attitude towards my care has stood me in pretty good stead over the last 23 years. :shy;

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
Whamo
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 05:18:51 AM »

Does the transition from hemodialysis to PD allow you to drink more fluids?  That's what I've heard, but is there a number?  I try to maintain 48 ounces per day, but often find that my hemo has to take off 4 liters, especially on Mondays, sometimes on Wednesdays.  I switch from hemo to PD on Wednesday.  I'm starting to drink a morning coffee, and follow it up with shot glass size glasses of water through the day.  I always put an ice cube in the glass, too, to make it cold, and keep down the size of the drink.
amanda100wilson
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 05:24:20 AM »

Whamo, only in-unit has these limits.  home HD is much more flexible.

ESRD 22 years
  -PD for 18 months
  -Transplant 10 years
  -PD for 8 years
  -NxStage since October 2011
Healthy people may look upon me as weak because of my illness, but my illness has given me strength that they can't begin to imagine.

Always look on the bright side of life...
tiredandthirsty

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 10:04:18 AM »

Drink from really small glasses.  I've heard that helps.

this is my strategy. i bought a set of shot glasses from TJ Maxx (2 bucks for a set of 4) that are 60 ml.  I keep a small bottle of water in the freezer so it ices up and when i want to drink, i put some refrigerated water in (again cold as possible) to the iced up bottle, shake it up a bit so the water gets colder.  then i fill the 60 ml shot glass with water and voila, ice cold water.  will definitely quench your thirst and will make you believe you drank a lot :-)
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2012, 10:32:13 PM »

On pd just started d 7/20/12 and I've been able to deal with everything except fluid.. All I wanna do is drink! I don't drink pop but so much water.. I'm 23 6'3 300 lbs.. I'm a big deal and love to eat and drink.. What can I do?

How are you doing with sodium? There is sodium in everything, anything with a shelf life has a lot of sodium. In general don't eat anything that has more mgs sodium than calories per serving and you will keep you daily intake in control.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »