I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:47:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Diet and Recipes
| | |-+  Losing Weight Support Group
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Losing Weight Support Group  (Read 155327 times)
dialysis.sucks

« Reply #400 on: February 24, 2013, 01:41:38 AM »

I just started juicing two meals out of the three primaries. One week in I lost 7 lbs, my Albumin went to 4.6 from 4.0, Hemoglobin went from 7.1 to 7.9, Calcium went up .3, Potassium went up a bit (so Ill have to watch that) and strangely enough my Kt/V went from .64 to .79... Doctor seems to think that the higher the Hemoglobin goes the better that may get as well. Strangely enough Im not putting on excessive water weight either. Usually less than 2.5 kilos in between treatments.
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #401 on: February 26, 2013, 05:24:10 AM »

I think I weighed about the same this morning - don't know because I had an early morning glucose tolerance test at the hospital so it was a bit of a mad rush getting out the door. After the test I walked home, 3 miles. I weighed myself when I got back and was 125, so I am going to guess I put on a pound or so of water weight with all the liquid I consumed and am probably still around 124.  Yesterday I took the bus to the neighbouring town to visit our supremely inconvenient bank and I walked home from there, too - about 2.5 miles.

I *love* these chia seeds. I am such a sceptic, so I never assume any supplement is going to change anything dramatically. I think I've been consuming these for about a week and I don't think I've missed any days. I believe I've been having bouts of blood sugar issues (hypoglycemia) for the past few years because often if I would go too long without eating, I would feel nauseous, hot, faint and crave starchy sugar. I forgot to mention that chia seeds supposedly help even out blood sugar so that you don't get the highs and lows as much through a day. After walking home last night, I had a large glass of wine and then one oatcake with cheddar cheese, and I only had those to be social - I wasn't hungry. Yes, I had had a large lunch, but that was 8 hours earlier. It is strange, but it's fantastic to not feel like I want to eat constantly.

I'll be curious to see if this turns out to just be a coincidence, or if the effect lasts. I am trying to remember to sprinkle some on the boys' food at least once a day. Normally, after walking anything over a mile or so, I don't feel physically worn out so much as sleepy. That has not been a problem these last 2 days, in fact I felt a strong urge to get out and exercise. Low energy has been such an issue for me, I really hope that these make a difference long term.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #402 on: March 16, 2013, 11:56:03 AM »

The crazy scale appears to have been wrong. My parents have one of those doctor's scales and I weighed 115 yesterday morning. ::) How in the hell did it manage to be underweight for the boys but overweight for Gwyn and me? What sort of force of evil is that thing?

My eating habits have gone to hell, though. All I want is guacamole, salsa, and fresh chips from Los Arroyos to dip in them. The kids have been on a similar American binge - they have been asking for corn dogs (??!!) cheeseburgers and still lemonade. They have also discovered pre-mixed Arnold Palmers from Trader Joes which I figure is slightly healthier than plain lemonade, so I am willing to overlook the caffeine. Oh, and Rishi Tea has gone national. I have to buy a metric tonne of the stuff to bring back as the girls got really excited to hear about their mint tea with chocolate notes (divine! Absolutely essential if you are feeling a bit sick.) I am drinking my iced tea again. I really must start making this in Britian, it's not like I lack the tools to make it happen.

It was a surprise to no one that my mother stocks barrels of chia seeds, so I am still using those. The boys, however, have not been so good about eating those. I think the seeds make them feel too full so it interferes with their ability to stuff themselves stupid on all of the foods that they miss. My mother made Belgian waffles the other day and froze them. This morning I made them a waffle topped with a dab of butter, fresh strawberries and blackberries, warm maple syrup, and then several scoops of warm Nutella. (I abhor Nutella - I don't know how they eat it). Anyhow, I doubt they will be able to take another bite of food until dinner. We are also taste testing various peanut butter/chocolate products as my Aussie friend loves them. She asked for Reeses peanut butter cups, but come on, you can get those in England. I am going to try to find a selection of more exotic peanut butter confections, as she said she loves anything with peanut butter. Peanut butter M&Ms were a specific request, apparently these are not available in Britain? We tried a Trader Joes peanut butter and jelly chocolate bar yesterday but I found it too cloying, so we shall pass on importing that one back to the UK.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
pagandialysis

« Reply #403 on: October 21, 2013, 02:41:23 PM »

In March I weighed 123 KG, wore a XXXL shirt, and a size 52 in the waist.

Now I weigh 113.5 KG, I wear a XL shirt, and a 40 in the waist.

I feel a lot better about myself.....other than the appearance of my access.

Dining on Dialysis - www.diningondialysis.com
-------------------------------------------------------------
Kidney Transplant (December 31, 2014),
Dialysis-Hemo (Started May 17, 2011. Ended December 29, 2014),
AV Fistula #2 (This one is a Basilic Transposition),
CKD (IgA Nephropathy) Stage 5,
Hypertension (Under Control)
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] Go Up Print 
« previous next »