I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:33:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Transplant hospital
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Transplant hospital  (Read 5469 times)
Dizzy

« on: August 31, 2012, 12:19:44 PM »

What hospitals are you listed at?

Or where did you get your new kidney? 

And how far from your home is/was it? 

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 12:27:32 PM »

I got mine at University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.  I lived almost 5 hours away.  If you get listed at one that is a long distance drive, you can usually sign up with Angel Flights or a similar local organization to get a free plane ride when you get the call.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 12:28:55 PM »

I am listed at Northwestern Memorial here in Chicago and University of Wisconsin in Madison.  I am about 45 minutes away from Northwestern (depending on traffic!) and two and a half hours away from Madison.  I will be getting my kidney from Madison as the wait list is about 80% shorter than at Northwestern.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 06:39:38 PM »

I had my transplant at Northwesatern Memorial Hospital in Chicago, IL and it is about 47 miles. Getting there at 2 am only took less than 40 min and when I go there for check ups, I take the commuter train to the city. Commuter train schedule is great in the mornings during rush hours, it takes 33 minutes to get into the station and about a 15 min ride on bus. However I use to take the taxi a lot and that was quicker, but got to expencive and I learned how to use the bus system and way around the city

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
MommyChick

Me & my precious Miracle !!!

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 10:21:02 PM »

- I received my 1st kidney from Penn State Hershey Medical Center in Hershey, PA. It is about a 30 - 45min depending on traffic.
- I am now listed at Pinnacle Health in Harrisburg, PA. Its about a 45min to an hour drive depending on traffic.
I transferred hospitals so I could stay with my original surgeon when I found out I needed a 2nd kidney.

Good Luck All  :beer1;

~ Hello All, My names Marna ~

- 1995 - 12 yrs old found out my kidneys were both failing
- 1996 - Dec. 3 I received my 1st kidney transplant at age 13, after 7/mths on the waiting list
- 2005 - In Aug. transplant failed after 9.5 years, had to have a nephrectomy due to being very ill & massive hypertension
           - End of Aug. 1st time on dialysis
- 2006 - Had my fistula placed & ready to go
- 2010 - My little Miracle was born 6/mths into the pregnancy, weighing 2.4 lbs & 13.25 in long
          - Found out my PRA is 100% & I have antibodies that CAN'T be decreased
- 2013 - Oct. 2nd  *** I finally received my kidney!!! ***
          - Dec. 3rd I had 3.5 parathyroids removed, due to them interfering w/my new kidney.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 12:57:15 AM »

What hospitals are you listed at? Daughter needs 2nd kidney - now listed at USC/LosAngeles, CA and Scripps/LaJolla, CA

Or where did you get your new kidney?  1st kidney was living donor at Scripps

And how far from your home is/was it? Drive time --  USC is 20 mins & Scripps is 2 hours

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
bleija

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 06:44:33 AM »

i got my kidney at Shands in Gainesville, and its a 2 and half hour drive give or take with traffic.
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 07:09:45 PM »

I'm listed at the OSU medical center in Columbus Oh, I'd say it's about 10 to 15 mins from me.

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 06:07:54 PM »

I was listed at Penn State Hershey. It's about an hour and a half from my home and an hour from my parent's home.

Like MommyChick, I got my first transplant with that doctor. But when he left to start another program in Harrisburg, I stayed with Hershey. I recently got my second transplant at Hershey. The docs have been wonderful to me.
Fatkidney

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 11:05:08 PM »

I'm listed at Barnes Jewish in St. Louis. 
It's a little less than 2 hours away.

June 2004 diagnosed with PKD
April 2012 Listed for transplant
November 2012 3rd and finally successful fistula placement, left basilic vein. Yay, it worked!
GFR down to 10.
Deceased donor transplant August 24, 2013.  Perfect match. So far so good!
phyl1215

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 08:03:52 AM »

Got mine at Christ Hosp. in Cincinnati, OH
45 min. away....Wonderful hospital and transplant team.

PD 3 yrs.
TX list 4 yrs.
Deceased donor PERFECT MATCH Kidney transplant July 8, 2012

Learning To Dance In The Rain
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 08:58:28 AM »

I'm listed at OHSU (Oregon Health and Science University) in Portland, OR. It's about a half hour from home.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
YellowRose

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 08:51:10 PM »

- I received my 1st kidney from Stanford University, CA. It is about a 20 to 30 min depending on traffic.
- I am now listed at  University of California, San Francisco (UCSF), CA. Its about an hour to an hour and half drive depending on traffic.
They are both good programs but I prefer Stanford because it is closer but my insurance does not work with Stanford any more  :'(

Dec 1993 start with CAPD
May 1995 1st transplant
Jan 2007 start with CCPD
April 2011 start with Hemo
Sept 2012 2nd transplant
Dizzy

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2012, 03:31:32 PM »

Is 3-1/2 hours to Cleveland Clinic too far to travel?
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 04:06:29 PM »

I got mine at University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.  I lived almost 5 hours away.  If you get listed at one that is a long distance drive, you can usually sign up with Angel Flights or a similar local organization to get a free plane ride when you get the call.

Dont you have to notify Angelflights ahead of time? If you get a call at the last min, how are going to get Angel Flights?

Lisa

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
smcd23

The patient, the baby and the donor - October 2010

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 08:52:06 PM »

What hospitals are you listed at? Currently listed at Dartmouth Hitchcock, Lebanon NH.

Or where did you get your new kidney? My husbands first transplant was at Mass General, Boston MA. He was listed there for a few years before switching to DHMC. Wait in MA - 4-6 years. Wait in NH - 1-2. Reason to switch seemed clear. :)

And how far from your home is/was it?  Boston is shorter distance, 45 miles but can take 2+ hours to get there in peak traffic. DHMC is 86 miles or so and about an hour and a half drive but there is never any traffic, so it works out better. Plus all follow up can be done at their local clinic once he is on a monthly or less check up schedule. If we had stayed in Boston, we'd have to go there no matter what.

Caregiver to Husband with ESRD.

1995 - Diagnosed with vesicoureteral reflux and had surgery to repair at age 11. Post surgery left side still had Stage I VUR, right side was okay. Both sides were underdeveloped.
2005 - Discovered renal function was declining, causing HBP. Regular monitoring began.

March 2008 - Started transplant evaluation for preemptive transplant due to declining function.

September 16, 2008 - Transplanted with my kidney.
September 18, 2008 - Kidney was removed due to thrombosis in the vessels in and leading to the kidney.

October 2008 - Listed in Region I

May 2009 - Started in Center Hemo
January 2010 - Started CCPD on Liberty Cycler

June 15, 2012 - Kidney transplant from a 43 year old deceased donor
June 22, 2012 - Major acute rejection episode and hospitalization began
June 27, 2012 - Nephrectomy to remove kidney after complete HLA antibody rejection. Possibly not eligible for another transplant, ever again.

Now what?
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2012, 06:27:20 AM »

Would you mind if I asked what may be a ridiculously stupid question?

Over here in the UK there's only one (national) List so you'll just get called to your nearest transplant hospital and the kidney will be taken there, from anywhere else in the UK (or sometimes even from elsewhere in Europe) when it's been determined who's the best match. I think.  You only get evaluated once (plus a check up every so often to determine that you're still physically okay to receive one) and I assume that if we'd moved to somewhere else within the UK, Blokey's medical notes would have followed and he wouldn't have needed to be evaluated again because it is just the one (national) List.

Therefore I don't really understand the getting listed at different transplant centres and the difference in their wait times for a kidney.  How does it work?  Does the kidney come from someone who has passed away at THAT hospital (or the nearest)? Does that account for the differing wait times (the local demographic/medical standards, etc)?

Apologies ... that was three questions, not one.

;D

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
Dizzy

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2012, 11:46:41 AM »

Poppylicious,  The transplant center 30 min away took my husband off the list after 18 months "due to health reasons".  After asking again last year they again said no.  He has been undergoing evaluaions at Cleveland Clinic and initial indications are they will approve. 
Sax-O-Trix

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2012, 07:12:46 PM »

Living Donor Transplant @ Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester, NY, which is 1.5 hours away.   

Preemptive transplant recipient, living donor (brother)- March 2011
rileysmom

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2012, 05:57:01 PM »

i was listed at both northwestern memorial in chicago and university of wisconsin madison.  i was on the list at northwestern for 4 years and was still told it would be another 4 years min. so i transfered my time to univers. wisc. madison and i recieved my kidney eight months later (august 29,12)
university of wisconsin in two hours away and when i have to go up there. they put me u[p in  a hotel room five minutes from the hospital with transportation to and from the clinic/hospital
MightyMike

Why do bad things always happen to good people?

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2012, 07:43:31 PM »

Got transplant in 2005 at Our Lady of Lourdes in Camden, Nj.  Re-listed at same place in 2009.  Only 5 - 10 minutes away from my house.

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
   -Walter Bagehot
==========================
December 2003 diagnosed with IgA Nephropathy 80% Function.
October 2004 started In-Center Hemo Dialysis Perma-Cath 5% Function.
September 2005 Living Related Donor (Mother) Transplant.
March 2009 Diagnosed CKD and IgA Nephropathy.
August 2009 Upper Left Arm Fistula.
November 2009 started In-Center Hemo Dialysis.
December 2010 started Home Hemo Dialysis.
January 2012 went back to In-Center Hemo Dialysis.
smcd23

The patient, the baby and the donor - October 2010

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2012, 08:17:53 PM »

Over here in the UK there's only one (national) List so you'll just get called to your nearest transplant hospital and the kidney will be taken there, from anywhere else in the UK (or sometimes even from elsewhere in Europe) when it's been determined who's the best match. I think.  You only get evaluated once (plus a check up every so often to determine that you're still physically okay to receive one) and I assume that if we'd moved to somewhere else within the UK, Blokey's medical notes would have followed and he wouldn't have needed to be evaluated again because it is just the one (national) List.

Therefore I don't really understand the getting listed at different transplant centres and the difference in their wait times for a kidney.  How does it work?  Does the kidney come from someone who has passed away at THAT hospital (or the nearest)? Does that account for the differing wait times (the local demographic/medical standards, etc)?

Apologies ... that was three questions, not one.

;D

Poppy, it is a national list, but it's broken up into regions. A kidney that is donated in your region gets offered to the tx centers that region first, then it gets expanded if there is no match. And I know certain hospitals get priority - our hospital gets priority over any organs that become available in our state, and if no match is found then it gets offered to the rest of the region. That's why the wait time is half of what it was at our old facility because there are 7 tx hospitals in the other state. But how some people register at different centers within the same region, I don't know... Sorry I can't help more.

Caregiver to Husband with ESRD.

1995 - Diagnosed with vesicoureteral reflux and had surgery to repair at age 11. Post surgery left side still had Stage I VUR, right side was okay. Both sides were underdeveloped.
2005 - Discovered renal function was declining, causing HBP. Regular monitoring began.

March 2008 - Started transplant evaluation for preemptive transplant due to declining function.

September 16, 2008 - Transplanted with my kidney.
September 18, 2008 - Kidney was removed due to thrombosis in the vessels in and leading to the kidney.

October 2008 - Listed in Region I

May 2009 - Started in Center Hemo
January 2010 - Started CCPD on Liberty Cycler

June 15, 2012 - Kidney transplant from a 43 year old deceased donor
June 22, 2012 - Major acute rejection episode and hospitalization began
June 27, 2012 - Nephrectomy to remove kidney after complete HLA antibody rejection. Possibly not eligible for another transplant, ever again.

Now what?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »