I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:35:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  You can help establish minimum patient per nurse/tech ratios in NC and beyond!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: You can help establish minimum patient per nurse/tech ratios in NC and beyond!!  (Read 3202 times)
cosmickelly

From my 09/08/07 wedding

« on: September 06, 2012, 05:29:05 PM »

Georgia has state in-center dialysis regulations requiring a patient/nurse ratio of 10:1 and a patient/PCT ratio of 4:1. NC has no state sponsored dialysis center regulations at all. (They're regulated by Medicare.) Some dialysis units are cutting cost by cutting the numbers of nurses and techs caring for patients. This creates a REAL safety issue for patients who may have a sudden blood pressure drop or other health dilemma while on the dialysis machine. If you would like to help improve the safety of in-center dialysis in NC and beyond, please join http://www.facebook.com/groups/415252768533586/ This group is dedicated to safer in-center dialysis by establishing state-wide and/or federal minimums of nurse (registered with non-restricted licenses) and PCT/patient ratios.

Thank you for your assistance!

Kelly :)

In-center Hemodialysis since 9/2004
ESRD, Diabetic Neuropathy, Peripheral Vascular Neuropathy
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 10:05:33 PM »

Do you know any of these legislators?

Co-Chairman:   Sen. Stan Bingham
Co-Chairman:   Sen. Harris Blake
Co-Chairman:   Sen. Louis Pate
Members:   Sen. Christopher "Chris" Carney, Sen. Austin M. Allran, Sen. Bob Atwater, Sen. Doug Berger, Sen. Jim Davis, Sen. Eleanor Kinnaird, Sen. Eric Mansfield, Sen. Wesley Meredith, Sen. William R. Purcell, Sen. Bill Rabon, Sen. Gladys A. Robinson, Sen. David Rouzer, Sen. Bob Rucho, Sen. Tommy Tucker

One place to start is to see where the Health Committee districts are and get one of their constituents involved.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
cosmickelly

From my 09/08/07 wedding

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 05:25:21 AM »

Hey, Bill!

Thanks for this list. Do you mind if I post it to the facebook page?

Austin Allran is from Hickory, NC (my hometown) and it seems like I remember my Dad and/or step-mother mentioning him at some point a long, long time ago. Like maybe she knew him though work or socially? I'll have to talk to Dad about it. 

Federally, my father-in-law knows Howard Coble. I'm hoping he'll be able to help us out there.

Thanks, again, for the info & have a great day!!

Kelly :)

In-center Hemodialysis since 9/2004
ESRD, Diabetic Neuropathy, Peripheral Vascular Neuropathy
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 10:30:51 AM »

You can always cross post/ use any way you want anything I post CK

The thing I would be looking for is someone like Sen Allran, or if he has one, his health care staffer, to explain the process. When would a Bill need to be introduced? What are the steps it will need to go through to get to the governor's desk? What opposition should be anticipated? It sounds like you may have a good contact in Sen Allran - a key step will be to identify and court an insider to be an ally.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »