I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:10:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Diabetes
| | |-+  diabetic
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: diabetic  (Read 30108 times)
toad

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2006, 10:11:49 AM »

levimir is just like lantus but made by a different company thats all...it also is great one needle evrymorning and thats it...very seldom have to us my novo-rapid anymore
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2006, 12:29:55 PM »

toad, if it works like lantus, you'll be glad you switched.   :2thumbsup;

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2006, 04:41:16 PM »

is levemir long acting or fast acting?  I'm on humalog before each meal for short-acting, and started on lantus every night about 2 years ago.  The lantus works wonders - my 3month blood work is coming back at 5.8 to 6.2  - sooooo much better than anything else I've been on.

I'm due to start dialysis in the next month or so.  I've been looking at renal diet plans.  I have no idea what I'm going to eat from now on.  All the renal plans seem very heavy on things with far more carbs than I've been eating per meal.  I've been carb counting for years, and the main staples of my diet included lots of cheese and veggies because they have little or no carbs to mess up my blood sugar.  I don't eat much in the way of bread or crackers.  Now cheese is going to be almost entirely off limits and suddenly veggies aren't even all that good for me because of the potassium?    :banghead; 

jbeany

I know what you mean about trying to find something to eat.  One (and possibly only?) good thing is you need to eat a lot of protein once you start dialysis, so hopefully that will at least help to stabilize your blood sugar.  Joe is type 2, and he takes insulin twice a day, and he has noticed that since starting dialysis his blood sugars are more often in control.  Sometimes he doesn't even take insulin.  I don't know if it will be the same for you, but here's hoping.   :)

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2006, 07:22:37 PM »

I know what you mean about trying to find something to eat.  One (and possibly only?) good thing is you need to eat a lot of protein once you start dialysis, so hopefully that will at least help to stabilize your blood sugar.  Joe is type 2, and he takes insulin twice a day, and he has noticed that since starting dialysis his blood sugars are more often in control.  Sometimes he doesn't even take insulin.  I don't know if it will be the same for you, but here's hoping.   :)

I'm also diabetic and heard somewhere that when and if I start dialysis it will control my blood sugars by cleaning my blood. I heard this from a non professional
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2006, 07:44:03 PM »

I'm also diabetic and heard somewhere that when and if I start dialysis it will control my blood sugars by cleaning my blood. I heard this from a non professional

It makes sense, and hey, what a cool benefit, right?   :beer1;

Joe died July 18, 2007
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2006, 10:30:46 AM »

But if it takes the sugar out of your blood, wouldn't that lead to all kinds of insulin reactions while dialyzing?  That doesn't sound like much of a benefit to me.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Panda_9

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2006, 02:18:51 PM »

I too am diabetic and have been for 30 years. Just recently got an insulin pump. (Cosmo By Deltec) Best thing I ever did. Prior to I was bottoming out frequently. especially since my diagnosis of kidney disease. Carbs. convert to sugars rapidly in diabetics. And the additional sugars elevate blood sugar levels. I avoid pasta with the acception of vegetable pasta. (made from spinach, tomato ) . No potato except sweet potato. Brown rice, Egg beaters made into an omelet with bell pepper, onion, salsa ,mozzarella cheese. selected fruit from list provided by Renal diet list. As long as you control your bread intake or pasta and potato (starches) and sweets then it is possible to keep your blood sugars down...Hope this helped Sassy ;)

With the insulin pump, is it just a subcut line? I read about a young boy on one of these yesterday. He only became diabetic because he had to have his pancreas removed. Was an interesting story.
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2006, 08:09:40 PM »

I know you weren't posting to me  :) but since she's gone I figured I'd answer.  The only pumps I've seen were SQ, just a really short catheter going under the skin.  My cousin has had his pump for a few years now.  It's really done well for him.  The catheter is only like an inch long, maybe a little shorter. 

Joe died July 18, 2007
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »