I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:03:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Nocturnal
| | |-+  In-Center Nocturnal Questions
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: In-Center Nocturnal Questions  (Read 4131 times)
Rain

« on: August 31, 2012, 04:37:46 AM »

I am currently on the wait list to start in center nocturnal dialysis.  It could be a few months it could be a year etc..  but I have some questions

1.  If you do 8 hours x 3 times a week does your diet yet a bit more relaxed?

2.  How long did it take you to get use to sleeping in center?  I can't sleep on normal hemo but it's noisy.  the nurse already told me for nocturnal it's a lot quieter but bring an eye mask to help block some light since some of the lgihts have to stay on for the nurses.

3.  I toss and turn in my sleep.  I start off sleeping on my back, then stomach then side etc.. and sometimes i talk in my sleep.  I am hoping while on hemo I won't do that.  Has your sleeping habits changed when doing nocturnal. 

4.  For the ladies. .   What do you do with the heparin what its' your time of the month?  Currently 4 hours of heparin during my period doesn't affect me but 8 hours? I don't want to bleed out and have crazy low hemoglobin.

5.  Since I do the evening shift now, I go straight to bed no shower nothing, after dialysis but I do shower in the AM.   Can you shower after hemo?  I won't be doing buttonholes but the ladder method.  The reason i ask is I plan on going straight to work after hemo and showering in the locker room before work.  And I don't want to get an infection etc.

Any advice would be great since I want all my questions answers before starting in center nocturnal.  And the only reason I'm thinking of in center noctrinal right now is because I want to feel better, and I want to start taking classes but they fall on Wednesday evening which are during my treatment time.

1988  Diagnosed with reflux and kidney damage
2006-  Diagnosed with Renal Failure and start dialysis in centre with catheter
2007- Fistula created and in centre hemo with fistula
2012- Fistula clotted and central line inserted
May 2014- Received Kidney from deceased donor
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 09:29:56 AM »

1.  If you do 8 hours x 3 times a week does your diet yet a bit more relaxed?  Yes, some people even get off binders because the pump speed is slower thus gets the middle molecule of phosphorus out.  I choose to cheat more and still take a binder.

2.  How long did it take you to get use to sleeping in center?  I can't sleep on normal hemo but it's noisy.  the nurse already told me for nocturnal it's a lot quieter but bring an eye mask to help block some light since some of the lgihts have to stay on for the nurses.   I could sleep on days, so nights were even better.  Your doc can order you something they give you in your lines to help you sleep.  I think it is Benadryl which I have an adverse reaction to if given a full dose.  I am thankful I can sleep. 

3.  I toss and turn in my sleep.  I start off sleeping on my back, then stomach then side etc.. and sometimes i talk in my sleep.  I am hoping while on hemo I won't do that.  Has your sleeping habits changed when doing nocturnal.   I have slept on my back since I was on PD.  So, I still sleep on my back and subconsciously knowing I have 2 huge needles in my arm makes me stay very very still.

4.  For the ladies. .   What do you do with the heparin what its' your time of the month?  Currently 4 hours of heparin during my period doesn't affect me but 8 hours? I don't want to bleed out and have crazy low hemoglobin.  I'm not sure how old you are but I was 45 and half bleeding to death when it was "my time".  So I went to my Gyno and got on a pill to stop them.  So, I can't answer that question.

5.  Since I do the evening shift now, I go straight to bed no shower nothing, after dialysis but I do shower in the AM.   Can you shower after hemo?  I won't be doing buttonholes but the ladder method.  The reason i ask is I plan on going straight to work after hemo and showering in the locker room before work.  And I don't want to get an infection etc. At my center we go from 7 pm to 3 am.  So I would think you could go home unless you start work at 3 am?  I go home and sleep for a few hours.  I don't work, but I take a shower with my bandages on.  Then when I get out I dry off and put new bandages on because when I take them off they are still oozing.  If I take them off before the shower they start bleeding in the shower and it gets all over and the hot water makes it worse.

Any advice would be great since I want all my questions answers before starting in center nocturnal.  And the only reason I'm thinking of in center noctrinal right now is because I want to feel better, and I want to start taking classes but they fall on Wednesday evening which are during my treatment time.   YES!  Your days are free and you will feel better.  You have to feel better.... do the math.  You will be getting twice the cleaning and a slower process to remove fluid.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 09:54:43 AM by Rerun » Logged

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 04:10:16 PM »

I am currently on the wait list to start in center nocturnal dialysis.  It could be a few months it could be a year etc..  but I have some questions

1.  If you do 8 hours x 3 times a week does your diet yet a bit more relaxed?

2.  How long did it take you to get use to sleeping in center?  I can't sleep on normal hemo but it's noisy.  the nurse already told me for nocturnal it's a lot quieter but bring an eye mask to help block some light since some of the lgihts have to stay on for the nurses.

3.  I toss and turn in my sleep.  I start off sleeping on my back, then stomach then side etc.. and sometimes i talk in my sleep.  I am hoping while on hemo I won't do that.  Has your sleeping habits changed when doing nocturnal. 

4.  For the ladies. .   What do you do with the heparin what its' your time of the month?  Currently 4 hours of heparin during my period doesn't affect me but 8 hours? I don't want to bleed out and have crazy low hemoglobin.

5.  Since I do the evening shift now, I go straight to bed no shower nothing, after dialysis but I do shower in the AM.   Can you shower after hemo?  I won't be doing buttonholes but the ladder method.  The reason i ask is I plan on going straight to work after hemo and showering in the locker room before work.  And I don't want to get an infection etc.

Any advice would be great since I want all my questions answers before starting in center nocturnal.  And the only reason I'm thinking of in center noctrinal right now is because I want to feel better, and I want to start taking classes but they fall on Wednesday evening which are during my treatment time.

1.  Yes, my diet is pretty much what ever I want to eat now and labs are pretty normal.

2. After sleeping on nocturnal I can pretty much sleep anywhere.  Took me afew weeks to adapt.  Plus Tylenol and Benadryl help me sleep.

3. I am the moving sleeper at my center.  They tape me down seriously.  I have not had problems.

4. Do not have my period anymore, but when I did not different from the normal.

5. I shower in the mornings.   However I do buttonholes.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
noahvale
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 11:05:45 PM »

« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 05:20:19 PM by noahvale » Logged
Rain

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 04:34:50 AM »

Thanks for the replies.  Noctunal treatment times here are 10:30 - 6:30 which is perfect for me since I could do evening courses until 9. Which is why I was asking about showering after.

1988  Diagnosed with reflux and kidney damage
2006-  Diagnosed with Renal Failure and start dialysis in centre with catheter
2007- Fistula created and in centre hemo with fistula
2012- Fistula clotted and central line inserted
May 2014- Received Kidney from deceased donor
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »