I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 11:24:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: News Articles
| | |-+  Organ Donor Awareness Week in Australia
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Organ Donor Awareness Week in Australia  (Read 3376 times)
charee
Elite Member

« on: February 15, 2007, 04:52:18 PM »

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Media Release

16 February 2007 

Organ Donor Awareness Week
63% of all organ transplants are kidney-related
Average wait four years, waits of seven years not uncommon and one death a week while waiting.

The average wait for a kidney transplant in Australia is four years, with waits of up to seven years not uncommon. One person a week is dying whilst waiting for transplant, according to Kidney Health Australia.
Kidney Health Australia today urged the Australian community to use the next seven days, which is Organ Donor Awareness Week, to register as an organ donor and “give the gift of life”.

Image right: Anne Wilson CEO Kidney Health Australia

Anne Wilson, Chief Executive Officer of Kidney Health Australia, said, "The number of new kidney failure patients commencing dialysis or transplant in 2005 was 2210, representing an increase of 13% from the 1950 people entering these programs in 2004. The number for 2005 was the highest ever recorded."

“This is increasing pressure to lift organ donation rates with kidney transplants making up around 63% of all solid organ transplants in Australia in 2005.”

Dr Tim Mathew, Medical Director of Kidney Health Australia, said that kidney transplantation is successful in 90% of cases and Australia has one of the best success rates of kidney transplant survival in the world.

"Sustained funding is needed at a federal and state level to support organ donation in hospitals which are working hard under the current collaborative program to increase the level of transplantation”.

"Patients on dialysis and their families are under great pressure waiting for the telephone call which could spell a new chance at life through a kidney transplant."

Media Enquiries:
Anne Wilson CEO Kidney Health Australia Mobile: 0400 165 391
Dr Tim Mathew, Medical Director of Kidney Health Australia Mobile: 0416 149 863
Ron Smith Corporate Media Communications (03) 9818 5700 Mobile: 0417 329 201

Fast Facts
• As at 31 December 2005, 16% (1365) of the 8528 people receiving dialysis were on the transplant waiting list.
• The majority of the people on the waiting list are aged less than 55 years and 81% are waiting for their first transplant.
• The average waiting time for a transplant is about 4 years but waits of up to 7 years are not uncommon.
• On average one Australian each week dies while waiting for a transplant
• The survival rate following a transplant is high - 96% of recipients are alive at 1 year, and 87% are alive at 5 years.
• Compared to international figures Australia has a low deceased organ donation rate of 10 donors per million population in 2005.
• Live kidney donations represent approximately 39% of all kidney transplants (246 live donor transplants performed in 2005)
• 1 Jan 2005 - 31 Dec 2005 - 623 transplant operations (decrease of 4% from 2004, 649 transplant operations)
• 2005 - 1407 on kidney transplant waiting list, 377 kidney transplant operations performed (from deceased donors), 246 kidney transplant operations performed (from live donors)

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 07:20:10 PM »

Good article!! I support Awareness Week but didn't know of the Aussy one  :2thumbsup;

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 04:17:45 PM »

I bet you Aussies will get a kidney before I do.  Good luck!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
charee
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 04:39:06 PM »

I bet you Aussies will get a kidney before I do.  Good luck!

I'm still working to get on that list no were near it yet!

Home Hemo  18 months
from my beautiful sister

Live donors rock
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 05:07:50 PM »

I am no where near a list either.  Maybe we will get there this year.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2007, 11:39:28 PM »

What's holding you back on getting on the list?   >:(

Charee...  I know you are not on dialysis yet but your Neph can push to get you on now. I was placed on the list 6months before I started dialysis. Ask them, its worth a try.   :-\

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
charee
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 12:35:42 AM »

What's holding you back on getting on the list?   >:(

Charee...  I know you are not on dialysis yet but your Neph can push to get you on now. I was placed on the list 6months before I started dialysis. Ask them, its worth a try.   :-\
Interesting I've been told I can't go on the list till i start( I have asked). But apart from that i need to loose weight which I'm working on.Maybe its different from state to state ...

Home Hemo  18 months
from my beautiful sister

Live donors rock
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »