I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:24:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  Introduce Yourself
| | |-+  I want to Introduce Myself.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I want to Introduce Myself.  (Read 2374 times)
jimho1

« on: August 01, 2012, 06:56:39 PM »

:)

Thank you okarol for approving me and letting me join this board.  This is very important to me and my family.

Right now, my main focus is on my Mother-In-Law, she is 76, 24 year diebetic, lives in a rest home and has been advised she has renal failure.  Five years ago she almost died from renal failure and went on dialysis, for I want to say about 6 months and quit.  Her prognosis was ok the past few years and her kidney doctor strongly urged her, since she went to a sleep institute and found out she has severe sleep apnea, he strongly urged her to get a cpap machine and use it.  She finally got it fitted to her and had the sleep institute tune the machine and nose mask to her needs.  She never did use it, she could not rest with air blowing up her nose and it kept her awake.  Recently, she was diagnosed with renal failure and we are taking her to a "Vascular Surgeon" later this week, she will have an ultrasound done on her and have the doctor consult with us afterwards.

Judging by the symptoms of renal failure I read on WebMD, I am not far from it myself.  I too have severe sleep apnea and my excuse is that I cannot afford it, but also suffer a-fibs from not being to have it.

???
Recently, my wife asked some of my other In-Laws, "How long will it take for her to die if she quits dialysis?"  I found that similar question on here and in there I seen a response that Art Buchwald died a year later for not going on it.  My sister-In-Law found in her research, once someone goes on dialysis, they can never quit.  My Mother-In-Law quit 5 years ago and is faced with this issue again.  Then the question becomes, once she visits the doctors and they say she needs dialysis 3 days a week, will she want to go thru it again?  Nobody asked her yet.  I told my wife, "Sell Mom on it."  My Mother-In-Law lives almost across the street from a shopping center that has a dialysis center she has been to before and her rest home will take her there 3 times a week, basically taking her in her wheel chair, getting in and out of the van will take longer than getting there.

Like I said, I may have issue to with renal failure, but don't know and my focus at the moment is on her.  My question on her may effect me someday, myself.  I want to start a question string, "Once a person has been diagnosed with renal failure, how long do they have to live without even trying dialysis?"  This is Wednesday night, I hope to start a question string and get an answer, or responses by early Friday morning, my Mom-In-Law's appointment.

:thx;

Thank you okarol!

God Bless everyone here.

Jim

Jim Holloway
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »