I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:32:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  so aggravated heart attack!!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: so aggravated heart attack!!!  (Read 13641 times)
cattlekid
Elite Member

« on: July 28, 2012, 04:10:15 PM »

I am so aggravated.... I had a heart attack on Friday. It was very small and there is no muscle damage but i am stuck here in the hospital missing my family reunion. I am dreading the call to the transplant center and hope this won't derail me too much. 

Can I also tell you how much I hate in hospital dialysis?
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 04:14:55 PM »

Oh no!  I'm so glad you're OK, though. :cuddle;  If there was no muscle damage, I can't believe it would seriously impact your chances of tx.  I'm sure you've discussed with this whomever attended you at the hospital...what does that doc have to say?  Did s/he venture any opinion?

I imagine it must be a real shock going from D at home to D in the hospital.

I'm thinking of you and hope all is well.  I'm so sorry this has happened, and I'm glad there wasn't any damage.  You get out of there ASAP!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 05:45:10 PM »

Oh lordy NO!!  and dogone it!!  Im so glad no dammage and i would think that that would be what would be the hold back not just the fact that you had one.  im so glad your ok and hope you get out and home soon but not too soon!!  Catch the rest.  Wishing you healing.

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
catlover

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 06:35:09 PM »

So sorry to hear you had the heart attack.  I had one about 6 years ago and it hasn't stopped my chances of having a transplant.  I had to have a stent a year ago and they did put me on plavix - which has stopped my ability to have a transplant for now.  If you didn't have a stent put in, I don't think they will give you plavix.

Take care!

Cat Lover
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 06:43:55 PM »

:grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug;

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 06:45:46 PM »

The attending neph here at the hospital said that he didn't think it would be an issue. He even wanted to discharge me today after dialysis but the cardiologist said no.

Oh no!  I'm so glad you're OK, though. :cuddle;  If there was no muscle damage, I can't believe it would seriously impact your chances of tx.  I'm sure you've discussed with this whomever attended you at the hospital...what does that doc have to say?  Did s/he venture any opinion?

I imagine it must be a real shock going from D at home to D in the hospital.

I'm thinking of you and hope all is well.  I'm so sorry this has happened, and I'm glad there wasn't any damage.  You get out of there ASAP!
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 06:47:19 PM »

I had a bunch of plavix right after the angioplasty but none today, just aspirin. I was moved to a regular room tonight and am begging them to go home on Monday so I can do my own dialysis.

So sorry to hear you had the heart attack.  I had one about 6 years ago and it hasn't stopped my chances of having a transplant.  I had to have a stent a year ago and they did put me on plavix - which has stopped my ability to have a transplant for now.  If you didn't have a stent put in, I don't think they will give you plavix.

Take care!
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 07:40:13 PM »

Okay, I feel better now.  It sounds like you're good to go.

Do you think this episode is going to mean any change in your meds, ie bp or cholesterol meds?  Do you take daily low dose aspirin already?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 03:24:48 AM »

cattlekid, Sorry about the heart attack, hope every thing is going well .  People think that when you have dialysis that's it, they don't seem to realize that the heart is taking the strain, that's why so many of us have heart attacks.   Are you out of the hospital yet? Take it easy.
Traveller1947

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 04:00:47 AM »

Hi, cattlekid.  You and I are going down the same road.  My heart attack was Saturday, July 14th.  I've just been home a week.  Not actually up to posting yet, but boswife told me what had happened to you and I had to write to reassure you that, if there was no muscle damage, it won't affect your transplant situation.  Hope you can  get home tomorrow as planned.  That's when you'll really begin to heal.  All the best to you.
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 08:03:58 AM »

Interesting,  I just talked to the neph and ha said that plavix is not a contraindication to transplant. 

Take care!
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 08:05:41 AM »

I asked the nurse today and she said I will probably be discharged on aspirin and plavix. I asked the neph and he said that neither should be a contraindication for transplant.

Okay, I feel better now.  It sounds like you're good to go.

Do you think this episode is going to mean any change in your meds, ie bp or cholesterol meds?  Do you take daily low dose aspirin already?
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 08:07:18 AM »

Hello, thanks for the reassurance. I am going to call the transplant center tomorrow and give the info so they can request all of the reports from the cardiac dr.

Are you doing cardiac rehab?

Hi, cattlekid.  You and I are going down the same road.  My heart attack was Saturday, July 14th.  I've just been home a week.  Not actually up to posting yet, but boswife told me what had happened to you and I had to write to reassure you that, if there was no muscle damage, it won't affect your transplant situation.  Hope you can  get home tomorrow as planned.  That's when you'll really begin to heal.  All the best to you.
Traveller1947

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 11:07:49 AM »

Because I insisted, I went straight home.  It was right for me, but still very tough.  I don't recommend it.  The physical therapist comes to my home.  I'm on Plavix and aspirin, 5 stents in the RCA.  You're so much younger than I, cattlekid.  I can't think that any of this will affect your transplant status, but you're wise to call them right away so you'll know where you stand.  I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 01:36:38 PM »

Sorry about the heart attack cattlekid. No matter how small, they are not fun. Be glad that Plavix just went generic last month, so instead of it being $45.00 it is now $5.00. Best wishes to you.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2012, 08:12:54 PM »

Sorry to hear cattlekid. Hope you get out soon and that this shocker doesn't effect transplant listing.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 07:36:42 AM »

So I called the transplant center today... I am now officially on hold until I get clearance from the cardiologist, which will be in two weeks. Guess it's not so bad because they are still waiting for insurance approval for the transplant anyhow.

So I will be calling the cardiologist's office immediately and beg for the first available appointment....
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2012, 08:59:00 PM »

Hope you get clearedthis week or next week cattlekid.

Diabetes -  age 7

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2012, 07:15:59 AM »

Forgot to give the update....had the meeting with the cardiologist last week Thursday.  He said that he wants me to wait 4-6 weeks and then proceed with transplant.  Which is fine with me because I still get tired easily and and don't think I would do well with major surgery right now.

Plavix is a non-issue.  Cardiologist wants me on it for a year but said that he can have me discontinue it pre-transplant and after transplant for a couple of weeks and then go back on it when things settle down.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2012, 07:34:22 PM »

That's sort of good news, well better than bad news that is. Your not down for the count and that is a good thing.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

AnnieB

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2012, 10:41:16 AM »

Sorry to hear that, but am glad you are recovering and will be able to get on with things   :grouphug;
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2012, 08:42:31 PM »

When your up to it, we should plan another Chicago meet.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

MomoMcSleepy

My son Roddy McSleepy at 6 months! sry pic sidewz

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2012, 09:25:14 PM »

Oh no!  I'm glad there was no damage, but so sorry.  I think we have all missed something really important to us for similar reasons, and it sucks.   :cuddle;  I mean that as a hug.

35 years old, first dx w/  chronic renal insufficiency at  28, pre-dialysis

born with persistent cloaca--have you heard of it?  Probably not, that's ok.

lots of surgeries, solitary left kidney (congenital)

chronic uti's/pyelonephritis

AV fistula May 2012
Kidney Transplant from my husband Jan. 16, 2013
Howard the Duck
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »