I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 09:53:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Advocacy
| | |-+  Outdated or no?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Outdated or no?  (Read 7849 times)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« on: May 10, 2012, 02:55:14 PM »

I don't know how many of you are NBA fans, but in case you didn't know, the playoffs are now all over the TV.  The San Antonio Spurs are the number 1 seeded team in the Western Conference and the Miami Heat will probably end up being the champs in the East.  There is a good possibility that the Spurs and the Heat, with all of their superstars, will face each other in the Finals.

Now, Alonzo Mourning used to play for the Heat.  He has fsgs and got a kidney transplant and returned to the NBA, unbelievably.  Sean Elliot played for the Spurs, and the exact same thing happened to him.  He was actually the first player to ever play in the NBA with a kidney transplant.

So, I contacted the NKF and suggested that they get the two of them together and do a PSA for organ donation to air during the playoffs.  They've just replied, telling me that they'd done this some years ago and that now it would be outdated and probably no sports station would air it.

Do you think that's true?  With both of these teams in the playoffs, it seems that this story could never be outdated.  I don't think any opportunity to promote donation should be missed.  Tie these two players in with a current player from each team who has noted their donation status on either Facebook or on their driver's licence...I don't think that's "outdated".  What do you think?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 03:03:22 PM »

Ask them to at least post it on youtube?

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 04:17:09 PM »

I would agree....ask them to post it on YouTube and Facebook and Twitter.  I can agree that ESPN/ABC/TNT would probably not air it as they command premium prices for their air time, but  if they won't reshoot the commercial to make it more relevant, at least see if they can post it for those who want to seek it out.
smcd23

The patient, the baby and the donor - October 2010

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 06:54:29 PM »

I agree with the making it more relevant thing - show them updating their FB to show they support organ donation. Or standing in line at the DMV to have it added to their license. Things like that can go viral on social media, I think it would be perfectly relevant.

Caregiver to Husband with ESRD.

1995 - Diagnosed with vesicoureteral reflux and had surgery to repair at age 11. Post surgery left side still had Stage I VUR, right side was okay. Both sides were underdeveloped.
2005 - Discovered renal function was declining, causing HBP. Regular monitoring began.

March 2008 - Started transplant evaluation for preemptive transplant due to declining function.

September 16, 2008 - Transplanted with my kidney.
September 18, 2008 - Kidney was removed due to thrombosis in the vessels in and leading to the kidney.

October 2008 - Listed in Region I

May 2009 - Started in Center Hemo
January 2010 - Started CCPD on Liberty Cycler

June 15, 2012 - Kidney transplant from a 43 year old deceased donor
June 22, 2012 - Major acute rejection episode and hospitalization began
June 27, 2012 - Nephrectomy to remove kidney after complete HLA antibody rejection. Possibly not eligible for another transplant, ever again.

Now what?
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 08:10:28 PM »

OK, I received another response from a lady at the NKF, and she said that this was a really good idea, and that'd she try to get something going.  Based upon y'all's replies, I suggested that maybe the NKF could do a video to upload onto YouTube where Mourning and Elliot were talking to their friends about updating their organ donor status on their FB timelines.  You never know!  I think that would be rather cool and certainly trendy!  So, cattlekid and smcd, great suggestions!

« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 05:41:09 PM by MooseMom » Logged

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
smcd23

The patient, the baby and the donor - October 2010

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 08:46:34 PM »

Absolutely! I was just reading in the tributes section about a members son who passed and they used his lungs, eyes and a few other parts.

Tribute for Dustin (Lori1851's Son) has a few posts about what they used from him. Granted he was on the young side, but if you still have parts that are still good, or even okay for someone who has a failed or failing part, they will use it. Especially in older folks.

Caregiver to Husband with ESRD.

1995 - Diagnosed with vesicoureteral reflux and had surgery to repair at age 11. Post surgery left side still had Stage I VUR, right side was okay. Both sides were underdeveloped.
2005 - Discovered renal function was declining, causing HBP. Regular monitoring began.

March 2008 - Started transplant evaluation for preemptive transplant due to declining function.

September 16, 2008 - Transplanted with my kidney.
September 18, 2008 - Kidney was removed due to thrombosis in the vessels in and leading to the kidney.

October 2008 - Listed in Region I

May 2009 - Started in Center Hemo
January 2010 - Started CCPD on Liberty Cycler

June 15, 2012 - Kidney transplant from a 43 year old deceased donor
June 22, 2012 - Major acute rejection episode and hospitalization began
June 27, 2012 - Nephrectomy to remove kidney after complete HLA antibody rejection. Possibly not eligible for another transplant, ever again.

Now what?
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 10:21:14 PM »

Absolutely! I was just reading in the tributes section about a members son who passed and they used his lungs, eyes and a few other parts.

Tribute for Dustin (Lori1851's Son) has a few posts about what they used from him. Granted he was on the young side, but if you still have parts that are still good, or even okay for someone who has a failed or failing part, they will use it. Especially in older folks.

Yes, it's true. I remember that Lori shared Justin's death with us, and his organ donation.
Jenna is a registered organ donor.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
MaryJoe

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 03:46:18 AM »

Not to sound goulish, but cadaver skin has saved the lives of many severe burn patients.

They can have any part of me they can use, I won't be needing it!

MJ

Whether the glass is half empty or half full is not as important as being thankful there's a glass and grateful there's something in it.
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 12:05:54 AM »

I am with you Mary Joe. I am also a registered donor, so they can take anything that still works. God know, there isn't much of it that is good tho, hahaha

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 06:59:23 AM »

Have those NBA players ever come out and spoken about their experiences with ESRD and transplant in the past?

I am starting to feel either celebrities are hush hush about their kidney disease or the media doesn't think it is note worthy enough to air?!?!

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 11:01:02 AM »

They did some promotional things when they were first transplanted.  The sports magazines ran articles.  A kidney magazine in the doctor's office ran an article about Alonzo.  During that time, people would tell me "oh you have the same thing as Alonzo and he got a kidney right away".  Yeah, well I'm not a famous sports figure!!   

Cojo (fashion) wrote a book.  George Lopez does a few things.   You never have huge support from big names.  Stever Jobs didn't say much about his liver transplant. 

But, we all know that this isn't a disease that is in the news all the time.  Maybe they don't want kidney failure to be what they are known for. I will talk to anyone and everyone about my transplant, but that doesn't touch very many people!  LOL   :rofl;   

We need one of them to come to Vegas and be our guest speaker!!  Not as a celebrity, but a success story talking to fellow kidney people.   Moosemom??  You are the greatest at writing!   Just a thought!!

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 05:43:05 PM »

OK, I received another response from a lady at the NKF, and she said that this was a really good idea, and that'd she try to get something going.  Based upon y'all's replies, I suggested that maybe the NKF could do a video to upload onto YouTube where Mourning and Elliot were talking to their friends about updating their organ donor status on their FB timelines.  You never know!  I think that would be rather cool and certainly trendy!  So, cattlekid and smcd, great suggestions!

I think I hit "modify" instead of "quote" after typing this post as it showed up in the middle of this thread.  How bizarre.  Anyway, wouldn't it be cool to see this on FB?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »