I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2024, 04:34:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Post Transplant Regimen - It does get better, RIGHT!?!?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Post Transplant Regimen - It does get better, RIGHT!?!?  (Read 17069 times)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2012, 05:12:40 PM »

Thank you so much for the update.  I haven't been able to get you and Tony out of my mind all day, so please forgive me if I'm asking too many questions.  I don't mean to be intrusive, particularly at this very chaotic and difficult time, and the last thing I want is for you to feel obligated to answer my silly questions.

I agree with you...if Tony has an undiagnosed genetic condition, you really need to know for your son's sake.

I'm still hoping that the docs will be able to come up with something. 

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
smcd23

The patient, the baby and the donor - October 2010

« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2012, 05:14:51 PM »

He's put out almost a liter of urine since they put the cath in, but most of that was when they did the cath.

I'm camping out in his room till they kick me out, wonder what time that will be...

Caregiver to Husband with ESRD.

1995 - Diagnosed with vesicoureteral reflux and had surgery to repair at age 11. Post surgery left side still had Stage I VUR, right side was okay. Both sides were underdeveloped.
2005 - Discovered renal function was declining, causing HBP. Regular monitoring began.

March 2008 - Started transplant evaluation for preemptive transplant due to declining function.

September 16, 2008 - Transplanted with my kidney.
September 18, 2008 - Kidney was removed due to thrombosis in the vessels in and leading to the kidney.

October 2008 - Listed in Region I

May 2009 - Started in Center Hemo
January 2010 - Started CCPD on Liberty Cycler

June 15, 2012 - Kidney transplant from a 43 year old deceased donor
June 22, 2012 - Major acute rejection episode and hospitalization began
June 27, 2012 - Nephrectomy to remove kidney after complete HLA antibody rejection. Possibly not eligible for another transplant, ever again.

Now what?
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2012, 07:19:43 PM »

I am so sorry about all you've been through. It's just so hard to believe the problems! Do they know if scar tissue has forned where they sewed on the artery?
Poor guy. Poor you. I wish there was a solution to this. They don't let you stay with him? I insisted on sleeping in my daughter's room (she was 21 at the time.)
I am thinking about you, wishing there was more we could do.  :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2012, 07:30:22 PM »

:grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug;

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2012, 07:45:50 PM »

Just checking on you and Tony and grasping onto the small ray of hope that I see in your updates, hoping that the doctors decide it is too early to give up on this kidney. As for the zero native kidney function, that is quite common for people on dialysis. Makes matters a little more challenging, but does not mean he would have to spend all of his time hooked to the machine. They really need to get to the bottom of this clotting issue so that they can properly advise you what is and is not feasible for him. I so want to believe that there is a way forward for him.

I sit in awe of the strength that I am reading in your posts. Hun, I think any doctor with a drop of sense would think twice about trying to kick you out of that room. Is there anything you particularly need right now? Perhaps we could problem-solve with you if there's an issue you've been trying to handle on your own? I'm wittering on because I am just so sad that you are going through this, and just want to be able to carry some of your burden for you.  :grouphug;

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
smcd23

« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2012, 11:01:35 PM »

They just came in, apparently the kidney is coming out. I just wish they'd make up their darn mind! First it's out right away then it's try to save it for 3 days now it's out first thing in the morning. Which still leaves him no way to do dialysis. Oh and he has not told his family.

I wish my mom was here.  :'(

1995 - Diagnosed with vesicoureteral reflux and had surgery to repair at age 11. Post surgery left side still had Stage I VUR, right side was okay. Both sides were underdeveloped.
2005 - Discovered renal function was declining, causing HBP. Regular monitoring began.

March 2008 - Started transplant evaluation for preemptive transplant due to declining function.

September 18, 2008 - Kidney was removed due to thrombosis in the vessels in and leading to the kidney.

June 27, 2012 - Nephrectomy to remove kidney after complete HLA antibody rejection. Possibly not eligible for another transplant, ever again.

Now what?
lainiepop

« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2012, 12:03:39 AM »

I am So so sorry to hear your news. Thinking of you all

:grouphug;

1982 - born with one imperfect kidney and no bladder, parents told i would not survive
1984 - urostomy op
1990 - bladder built out of colon
2007 - birth of son, gfr fall from 3O to 26
July2011 - birth of prem daughter, gfr 17%
August2011 - gfr drop to 10%
29th May2012 - RECEIVED KIDNEY 4/6 match from my wonderful dad !
MaryJoe

« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2012, 04:02:04 AM »

I am stunned by these developments, my heart literally hurts for the three of you.  Please know that you are in my thoughts and that I am praying for the doctors to come up with an alternative treatment.  I hate that you are there alone.  I wish your mom could be with you too.  I wish someone could be there with you to hug you and let you know that you are not alone.  I wish I could comfort you in a more concrete fashion than words on a screen.  I know things are so very dark right now, please don't loose hope.

Whether the glass is half empty or half full is not as important as being thankful there's a glass and grateful there's something in it.
noahvale
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2012, 04:51:05 AM »

« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 08:27:45 AM by noahvale » Logged
smcd23

« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2012, 05:30:32 AM »

Depending on the outcome of today I may call back to our old facility. It's a larger hospital they may have more resources. Now that we are married and he's on my insurance they can't put him on status 7 hold. I will move across the country if I have to and he wants to in order to find someone who can fix this. I just wish it wasn't him, I wish it was me instead. He's never gotten a chance to travel or enjoy being young. He's honestly never been able to do much, he's always had this hanging over his head. He actually had hope and dreams last weekend and it just amazes me how quickly they were crushed.

He's in surgery now, we will see what happens.

Now what?
willowtreewren
Member for Life

« Reply #60 on: June 23, 2012, 06:45:22 AM »

I'm utterly speechless with grief for all of you.

Keep fighting to find a solution.

:grouphug;

Aleta

jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #61 on: June 23, 2012, 07:18:04 AM »

Thinking of all 3 of you.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

smcd23

« Reply #62 on: June 23, 2012, 08:23:30 AM »

He still has the kidney. He's been on high dose of steroids. They went in and it was still pink which means it still had blood flow. They did a biopsy. They think it could be a reaction to the heparin so he's off that and on a different thinner. They have no real answers. The surgeon says he's "cautiously optimistic" I told him how the previous hospital went through my kidney with a fine tooth comb after it clotted and could not get an answer either. I haven't seen him yet, they are doing x-rays and stuff before I can see hi

Now what?
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2012, 08:45:10 AM »

Pink is a good color!  Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

willowtreewren
Member for Life

« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2012, 09:28:50 AM »

I will continue to hold my breath in hopes that the medical profession can find a solution for Tony.

I'm glad that he still has the kidney.

:2thumbsup;

Aleta

smcd23

« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2012, 10:02:23 AM »

He's not making a lot of urine yet though :( and what is coming out is very dark. I am having our friend Bill drive me home so I can get a shower and a nap. Then I'll head back up. They have my number I'm sure they will call if there is a big change but so far it looks like its hurry up and wait.

Now what?
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2012, 10:04:43 AM »

I am sending my prayers and positive thoughts your way so that this kidney finds a way to be strong and healthy for Tony. I have been keeping track of this thread for a while now, and I was devastated when I read that the kidney had to come out. Hoping and praying that this will not be the case. You all deserve health, energy and prosperity for many years to come!

Thank you for the updates. You are a very strong woman, and I am glad you are there for Tony. He is very blessed to have you by his side.

KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
lainiepop

« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2012, 10:19:31 AM »

Hoping  &  praying he can keep the kidney  :pray;

Lots of Love xx

1982 - born with one imperfect kidney and no bladder, parents told i would not survive
1984 - urostomy op
1990 - bladder built out of colon
2007 - birth of son, gfr fall from 3O to 26
July2011 - birth of prem daughter, gfr 17%
August2011 - gfr drop to 10%
29th May2012 - RECEIVED KIDNEY 4/6 match from my wonderful dad !
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2012, 03:45:39 PM »

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
smcd23

« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2012, 05:21:51 PM »

They are transfusing him plasma. They are going to give him hemo tomorrow to pull fluid off. They are treating this as an episode of acute rejection and a reaction to the heparin/lovanox. They also said the kidney could be in shock now, like it just realized that it's now in the right body. They won't be writing it off until Wednesday and I guess they won't be worried until then. They said he will be up here for at least a week.

Now what?
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2012, 05:29:15 PM »

OK, this hospital has 4 days to show you what they can do. I sure hope they deliver. This on again/off again is making me bonkers on your behalf, Shauna. Try to remember to take care of yourself through all of this. It is just so hard. We are standing by your side through every moment.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
noahvale
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2012, 05:44:51 PM »

« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 08:27:03 AM by noahvale » Logged
smcd23

« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2012, 06:01:19 PM »

Noah I am do happy to hear that given your clotting issues also. He's on thyroglobulin and cellcept for antirejection and he had solunedrol this morning. They are also testing for heparin induced thrombocytopenia but those tests are not back yet.

This has been such a roller coaster. Up and down its in it's out it's dead it's alive. I'm so freaking exhausted. A family friend got me a hotel across the street from the hospital which I am so thankful for tonight. I'm not leaving here for awhile, I am willing the kidney to start peeing. Hasn't worked yet but I am determined! This kidney better be ready for me! It has no idea what I am capable of haha!

Now what?
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2012, 06:15:35 PM »

I'm relieved to hear that the docs are not giving up just yet.  Tony should be given every opportunity to get this kidney working.

It was so thoughtful of your family friend to get you a hotel room.  The travelling back and forth is in and of itself exhausting.

Good luck to you and Tony.  We are all praying for him.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
smcd23

« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2012, 09:04:04 PM »

I just got to the hotel - Tony was sleeping and stable. Still no pee though.  :pray; Hoping the urine will be flowing in the morning.

Realized when I got to the hotel I didn't bring pajamas. Good thing I'm sleeping alone! And I just want to say I never realized how much bigger a king bed is, I think we need one at home! Tony, the dog, the baby and myself could sleep so comfortably in a bed like this!

I'll be going back to the hospital in the morning, the nurse said shed call if anything came up. I'll post an update in the morning. I thank you all so much for your support and kind words, it means so much. I can't put my gratitude into words, but it means a lot and can't wait to tell Tony when he's feeling better!

Now what?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »