I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2024, 02:19:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Deceased Donor Question....
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Deceased Donor Question....  (Read 7091 times)
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2012, 02:06:03 AM »

A couple of comments.

First I would NOT be in favour of any kind of "requirement" to write a letter - I mean really?! Certainly this was never stressed to me by any transplant people I spoke to (on the team) and it was mentioned in a seminar I went to, but only in terms of "You can do this, but it has to be anonymous" and it was neevr really described as a "thank you" letter. I certainly never saw mine as a "thank you" letter - more a note to let the family know that good has come from the choice made at that terrible time and that I am at least one recipient who is doing well. I also wanted to express my condolences also (even though some could say it may seem a bit "fake" given I benefited from the loss - but as we all know we do not go into this WANTING someone to die for us). Feeling a requirement to write would just breed feelings of insincerity on both sides - like for those who may not want to they'd feel forced, and for the family how would they know the words were sincere? I do not know any stats on how many people actually do write - it may be lower than I imagine - but at least you know that if a recipient has made the choice and taken the time to write something, no matter how short, that it *is* sincere and the thought behind it is good.

As I wrote earlier I struggled for months trying to come up with something to express how profoundly this has changed my life for the better without making it potentially painful to read from their point of view given, whenever they got the letter, it would still hurt given the circumstances and I always try to be mindful of that sort of thing.

I really like the idea of a combined letter offering the two perspective. I would have done similar, but my cat isn't very good with a pen and a paw print with some happy drool probably would not help much!!!  :rofl; I think this approach would give you both to say what you wanted and to express your feelings. Also I imagine Tony might feel better if words weren't written "for" him, but by him and certainly with his blessing.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2012, 02:57:17 AM »

We are 16 months post transplant and I have found this thread very interesting. I wrote a letter to the donor family about a month post TX. We received a reply shortly afterward, in which the donor family expressed interest in meeting at some time.

Carl was not comfortable with that idea because the donor family's letter revealed that they are very religious and we are not. He was/is concerned that they would not like the idea that their son's kidney went to a non-believer (kind of like that criminal idea expressed earlier in this thread). So in my reply to them I never mentioned meeting. We have not heard from them since.

We were told that the kidney came from a man in his mid thirties who had committed suicide. We know from the correspondence that he was a divorced father of two young sons. We have exchanged first names. I did a Google search on our names and "kidney" and it brought me right here to IHD, so it seems that the donor family could find us if they really wanted to. I have wondered if they did so, and that is why they never responded to my second letter.

Our transplant center handled the letters.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2012, 11:33:02 AM »

Aleta, I remember now that Carl was reluctant to meet with the donor family, and I now remember why, too.  I can understand the idea of being afraid of not "measuring up" to the ideal recipient that the donor family may have constructed.  I think I have had that little nugget of fear in the back of my mind, too, but had not really examined it.  What if I got a transplant and the donor family decided that maybe I'm too old for a tx (I'm 54) and that a younger person should have had it?  Or maybe they'd find some other reason to disapprove of me?  Oh, I'd be gutted!

Scmd, I understand that Tony is a "man of few words", but that doesn't mean that his few words can't be powerful.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2012, 12:22:19 PM »

When I volunteered for the NKF to speak at schools and at attendinging a organ transplant support group I was put off doing letters after I sent mine. In one corner the donor's family tries to, well "be up in your business" all the time and in the other corner where transplantees who made contact and met the donor families and tried to get to involved with the family and then get made when the family breaks off all contact probably out of fear and fear for their children(Hello McFly, get a clue! There must be a reason :Kit n Stik; ). The less contact and knowledge about the donor suites me better. Years later I did send an update letter, never heard back and have droppped the issue completely

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
chook

Born to be a Granma!

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2012, 07:28:29 PM »

I wrote a thank you letter about six months post tx and received a note back from the donor's daughter about a year post tx, along with a small ceramic butterfly that hangs in our kitchen so I can see it every day. When the response from the donor's family arrived, I was stunned - it was so not expected. I put off reading it for a few weeks and still sobbed and sobbed as I read it - I blame the drugs!! It was a lovely letter that told me our donor was a beloved mother, a teacher and someone who always ran late :) I wanted to send something 'tangible' back but was wondering if it would be appropriate. After reading all these posts, I think I will. In my first letter, I was still recovering and now, I just want to reiterate to the donor's family how every day without dialysis is a bonus.
On the other side, my kidney sister (we share the same donor) felt she couldn't write, was not comfortable about it but was okay with me mentioning her in my thankyou letter. Recently she has told me that her Mum would like to write, which is lovely.
I don't think I would want to meet our donor's family - just not sure how I'd go with all that.

Diagnosed PKD 1967, age 8
Commenced PD June 2010
Commenced APD July 2010
Transplant March 2011 - so lucky!
"To strive, to seek, to find...and not to yield!"
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2012, 09:00:09 PM »

My first kidney transplant the family said they didn't want or need to be contacted....

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2012, 09:30:45 PM »

I agree, I would not require anyone to communicate, neither donor family or recipient.
For me, I think if I donated the organs of someone in my family, I would love to know they were actually successfully transplanted and that the gift(s) was functioning. The procurement agencies protect the info regarding the recipients, so sometimes you may know nothing.
The note could be short, something like "Please allow me to send deepest sympathy for the loss of your loved one. I want to let you know how this gift of life has affected me and my family. I had kidney failure since age ___ and began dialysis at age ___. The wait for a kidney where I live is ___ years and dialysis for me was _____. I am now doing well since the transplant and am able to (work/go to school/travel/raise kids/etc) and am so grateful for the chance you have given me. Thank your giving me this gift. I plan to take very good care of it."
The donor family can tell the procurement agency from day one if they do not want to hear from recipients, so even if you wrote a letter it would not be passed on.

:twocents; :twocents;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2012, 12:20:56 AM »

wow Chook that's amazing. I guess since it was like six months later you really wouldn't have thought you'd get anything back. I mean I sent my letter off about 4-5 months ago and not that I ever expected anything back I certainly feel that it's unlikely now. I also wonder how I would feel reading something like that - so lovely of the daughter to write such a loving tribute to her mother and to give you some idea of who she was - wonderful yet touching and obviously distressing in terms of their loss.

I also agree that I think it would be weird to meet the donot family. I don't know what I would say in person or react to whatever they had to say - and I think this is one of the reasons our lot tries to keep us seperated - as much as privacy but an understanding that it can be awkward, or the donor family could expect to find some part of their loved one living on in the recipient, or maybe expecting more of them - ie: suggesting how they should live their life, or maybe even expecting some kind of tangible thanks ... a whole minefield there and yeah it would be quite strange.

This is such a complex issue with so many facets and one of those moral/ethical kinds of things where they are no "right" answers I think. All I know is that, for me, I have done what I felt was appropriate and whatever happens, well we shall wait and see, but I would be absolutely shocked to get a response at this point in time - but Chook's experience shows well maybe it takes time between the intermediate people etc to sort out so who knows.

Oh, as for sending something back like the butterfly or something - yeah that would be a bit funny (to be honest I'm surprised that was allowed through?!) - I would discuss it with the TC and see how comfortable you are with that. It does sound though that this daughter is a lovely person and would probably really appreciate anything.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
chook

Born to be a Granma!

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2012, 01:57:36 AM »

Anything I send will go via the ransplant co-ordinator, as after all that is part of their job to determine what is appropriate. And if it was decided not to send it on, I'd be fine with that, too. I'd just like another opportunity to reiterate what getting a donor kidney has meant to our lives. 

Diagnosed PKD 1967, age 8
Commenced PD June 2010
Commenced APD July 2010
Transplant March 2011 - so lucky!
"To strive, to seek, to find...and not to yield!"
smcd23

The patient, the baby and the donor - October 2010

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2012, 09:09:45 PM »

Tony mentioned today that the transplant social worker came to ask him how it was going to change his life etc because they were writing a thank you letter. I told Tony again that he could (I mentioned it to him in the hospital and I don't think it registered because of the pain meds) and he's interested in writing a letter together in a month or so. :) I think having both our perspectives on it will be good.

Caregiver to Husband with ESRD.

1995 - Diagnosed with vesicoureteral reflux and had surgery to repair at age 11. Post surgery left side still had Stage I VUR, right side was okay. Both sides were underdeveloped.
2005 - Discovered renal function was declining, causing HBP. Regular monitoring began.

March 2008 - Started transplant evaluation for preemptive transplant due to declining function.

September 16, 2008 - Transplanted with my kidney.
September 18, 2008 - Kidney was removed due to thrombosis in the vessels in and leading to the kidney.

October 2008 - Listed in Region I

May 2009 - Started in Center Hemo
January 2010 - Started CCPD on Liberty Cycler

June 15, 2012 - Kidney transplant from a 43 year old deceased donor
June 22, 2012 - Major acute rejection episode and hospitalization began
June 27, 2012 - Nephrectomy to remove kidney after complete HLA antibody rejection. Possibly not eligible for another transplant, ever again.

Now what?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »