I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2024, 08:24:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  is it all going wrong??
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: is it all going wrong??  (Read 8912 times)
lainiepop

« on: June 11, 2012, 11:28:18 AM »

Hi all. well after leaving hospital on day 8 post transplant with a creatinine of 79 im now baack in wih a creatine of 103. cant stop crying and worrying bout dads kidney. they;re putting me on a drip overnight in case of dehydration  will do scan and bloods tomorrow and maybe a biopsy. im so stressed and worried my 4 yr old son is so upset im back in and my daughter turns 1 in 3 weeks i hate being away from them and feel this is the end already.

plus ive had row with hubby as his mum hasn;t contacted me once since ive had op or sent me and dad a card we;ve been married amost 7 yrs my mum is struggling with me dad and the kids and his parents dont offer any help im fed up with it  :rant;

xx

1982 - born with one imperfect kidney and no bladder, parents told i would not survive
1984 - urostomy op
1990 - bladder built out of colon
2007 - birth of son, gfr fall from 3O to 26
July2011 - birth of prem daughter, gfr 17%
August2011 - gfr drop to 10%
29th May2012 - RECEIVED KIDNEY 4/6 match from my wonderful dad !
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 02:03:44 PM »

Awww, lainiepop ... *huggles* ... I did wonder if your Fb status wasn't quite the true reflection of things.

You may find the drip sorts the creatinine out.  Blokey's creatinine took ages to go down and still fluctuates a lot even now.  I don't think it will ever be anywhere near 'normal'. Are you drinking enough?  Blokey was adamant that he was drinking enough in the first few weeks after transplant and I know that he wasn't; he was petrified of carrying fluid around and was convinced that he wasn't peeing.  It took a long time for him to sort his head out in relation to that.  *fingers crossed* everything will look rosy in the morning, poppet.

As for your MiL ... don't let her affect your recovery or your relationship.  This is a stressful time for the both of you as it is without letting her come between you.  Can hubby take any more time off work?  I know it's not convenient but I'm sure they'd give him another few days compassionate leave, especially as you're in hospital again.  Has he actually asked his parents if they could help?  (I only ask because you say they haven't offered, not that they've declined any requests for support/help.)

Chin up, duck.  This isn't the end, it's merely a teeny glitch and you'll be home again with your babies by the weekend, I'm positive.

*huggles* for all of you.

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
lainiepop

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 02:16:25 PM »

i've just got in a State Cause they Can't get a drip in they were gonna give me 1 Litre on drip but have said its OK for me to just drink 2 Litres.

as for mil well I can't list all t he things She's said bout me & Kids Eg she bought hubby a new phone cause of my issues & is so proud of him for dealing with my Condition? ! P L.us when we said we'd have our daughter  early she told me I couldn't cos she might be mentally retarded So that's just  a snippet. Hubby won't ask cause he Knovs they'll say no. Iiont need this stress !!

1982 - born with one imperfect kidney and no bladder, parents told i would not survive
1984 - urostomy op
WishIKnew

Alports, dialysis '07-'12,cancer'11,transplant '12

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 02:24:04 PM »

Oh Lainiepop, hang in there!  I was all gung ho about everything post transplant until I found myself readmitted for an infection.  That's when I lost it - I mean really lost it as in they called in psych services.  I was TERRIFIED that this new life I had let myself believe in was falling apart.  But, it wasn't and yours isn't either.  Those transplant team members don't make the big bucks for nothing, it is amazing what they can do.  And, they've seen it all.  What is new and worrisome to us is old hat to them.  Hang in there. They will sort this out for you.

Call in reinforcements, family, friends, church members, etc.  Tell people exactly what  they can do to help.  I found that a lot of people wanted to help but didn't know what we needed.  I asked one friend to be responsible for making sure my son got to and from school while I was in the hospital.  I had another who provided transportation for my mom to visit me (she is 72 and does not do city driving).  An old PTA buddy organized some meals - I'm babbling, but the point is when people say how can I help, have a list ready and be specific.  Wish I lived closer, a day with little people sounds like heaven to me!

I believe in you and your healthy future!  I also know from experience that bumps in the road to wellness ad normal.  Hang in there!

Diane

:flower; :flower; :flower;
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 02:28:27 PM »

as for mil well I can't list all t he things She's said bout me & Kids Eg she bought hubby a new phone cause of my issues & is so proud of him for dealing with my Condition? ! P L.us when we said we'd have our daughter  early she told me I couldn't cos she might be mentally retarded So that's just  a snippet. Hubby won't ask cause he Knovs they'll say no. Iiont need this stress !!
Oh, the MiL stories we could share ... !

This makes me think it's good that your dad donated instead of your husband ... I can truly imagine what your MiL would have been like in that scenario!  Yikes!

Drink up!

*huggles*

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 04:17:27 PM »

:grouphug; If you have a couple of friends, ask them for help. Sometimes family just does not come through - sad to say - but it sounds like my family.
I hope the fluids make the difference - and be sure they check your immunos to be sure you are not experiencing toxicity.
Best of luck!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 05:50:55 PM »

Dehydration can change your creatinine. Or maybe if your Prograf level got too high. But the thing to remember is that your docs are good. They will help you. I recently went back to the hospital because of vomiting. My doctor got right on it, he was quite aggressive and got me all fixed up. They will figure it out.

As far as family, sometimes people are just mean. If you have any friends or family willing to help, just be direct. Tell them what specific tasks you need done and find out if they can help with those. Many people want to help but don't know what to do. It's not shameful to ask.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 06:20:51 PM »

lainie, hang in there.  I hit the Grand Canyon of bumps in the road after my transplant, and it all worked out fine in the end.   Just try to remain calm and stay away from baseball bats and your MIL at the same time.  :cuddle;

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2012, 10:44:59 PM »

Sorry to hear about kidney issue, just consider it as a bump in the road that happens with having a transplant.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
lainiepop

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2012, 11:35:04 PM »

thanks every one. I have a temperature so they think I might have an infection. Having scan & bloods this morn & possible biopsy Later. So scared am gonna lose this kidney x

1984 - urostomy op
MaryJoe

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 04:03:42 AM »

Oh lanie, I'm so sorry you've hit this wall.  I know you're worried and scared and missing your kids,(not to mention feeling ill and having repeated attempts at having the IV started fail) not a combination that makes for happy thoughts!  I hope the fluids do the trick, and a biopsy is not necessary.  I'm keeping positive thoughts for the scan and blood tests.  Drink up, girl, dehydration can really mess with your body, including your temperature.  Meanwhile... :cuddle; try not to worry too much (yeah, right)

Whether the glass is half empty or half full is not as important as being thankful there's a glass and grateful there's something in it.
lainiepop

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 05:09:13 AM »

function hasn't improved but is stable so they think it prob is an infection not necessarily rejection. as long as it Stays at that Level am not too bothered iust Still worried it'll get worse. Supposed to be having a Scan today or tomorrow now, no biopsy for time being x

1984 - urostomy op
KarenInWA
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 05:29:19 AM »

function hasn't improved but is stable so they think it prob is an infection not necessarily rejection. as long as it Stays at that Level am not too bothered iust Still worried it'll get worse. Supposed to be having a Scan today or tomorrow now, no biopsy for time being x

Good news on no biopsy for now! I also have an older kidney tx, and my creatinine, after a few months, went from 1.4 to 1.7. Now, this most likely happened due to raising prograf from 2mg twice a day to 4mg twice a day. I was on clotrimazole for 3 months, to prevent thrush, and while on that, that raised prograf levels, so only a lower dose was needed. The increase was most likely due to the increase in prograf. The dr decided to do a biopsy to rule out rejection, even tho I am at low risk for it. I wish I had spoken up and said NO!!! The biopsy was uneventful. No blood in the urine, until a couple of days later, and that was only for a couple of times.  I had the biopsy on a Tuesday. Fast fwd to Saturday, and I woke up and couldn't pee! It was like I was back on dialysis! I ended up going to the ER, a large hematoma was discovered, and I had to have emergency surgery to remove it. I had acute kidney failure due to kidney injury. Creatinine went as high as 9.9!!! It is now taking its time to come back down. Last reading was just over 4. Normal range for us in the US is 0.4 to 1.2. I think 9.9 in your numbers is something over 1000, maybe 1100 or higher.

Just please, be careful of biopsy. What happened to me is rare, and I was warned, but I thought I would be fine. Boy, did I learn otherwise!

KarenInWA

1996 - Diagnosed with Proteinuria
2000 - Started seeing nephrologist on regular basis
Mar 2010 - Started Aranesp shots - well into CKD4
Dec 1, 2010 - Transplant Eval Appt - Listed on Feb 10, 2012
Apr 18, 2011 - Had fistula placed at GFR 8
April 20, 2011 - Had chest cath placed, GFR 6
April 22, 2011 - Started in-center HD. Continued to work FT and still went out and did things: live theater, concerts, spend time with friends, dine out, etc
May 2011 - My Wonderful Donor offered to get tested!
Oct 2011  - My Wonderful Donor was approved for surgery!
November 23, 2011 - Live-Donor Transplant (Lynette the Kidney gets a new home!)
April 3, 2012 - Routine Post-Tx Biopsy (creatinine went up just a little, from 1.4 to 1.7)
April 7, 2012 - ER admit to hospital, emergency surgery to remove large hematoma caused by biopsy
April 8, 2012 - In hospital dialysis with 2 units of blood
Now: On the mend, getting better! New Goal: No more in-patient hospital stays! More travel and life adventures!
MomoMcSleepy

My son Roddy McSleepy at 6 months! sry pic sidewz

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 05:32:07 AM »

Oh, Lanie, I would be really scared, too., but remember that post-op infections are common, and also, it will take time to get your meds right,  etc.  Your doctors didn't spend all that time testing you and doing those surgeries just to let you lose your kidney.  They are going to do everything possible to get you ship-shape ASAP. 

as for your MIL, your husband's behavior with housework makes so much sense now.  She's obviously a little socially n
backwards, some people are like that.  If they help, great, if not, well, they weren't helping before, so no loss, right?  The others are right, you should ask friends for help, and be specific about the help you need.  Many times people want to help, but are uncomfortable being demonstrative and direct about the offer. They often think that if they haven't been asked to help, then they are not needed.  Plus, though friends and family care, they also get swallowed up in their own lives, or sometimes overwhelmed.. So anyway, be very specific asking for help.  If you belong to a church, they are great.  A friend at my church put my on the prayer list this Easter (I was surprised and blushed when I heard my name...sheesh) and the pastoral minister called me at home later in the week to see if I needed anything specific.  She said to please call if I ever needed help, because they have raised money for people, found bone marrow donors, make meals, and even send volunteers to help with housework.  I myself have prepared food for homebound/reciprocating parishioners, so I know what we offer.  It's a great resource.

Good luck, sweetie, keep your chin up!  Mwa!
 :grouphug;

35 years old, first dx w/  chronic renal insufficiency at  28, pre-dialysis

born with persistent cloaca--have you heard of it?  Probably not, that's ok.

lots of surgeries, solitary left kidney (congenital)

chronic uti's/pyelonephritis

AV fistula May 2012
Kidney Transplant from my husband Jan. 16, 2013
Howard the Duck
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 02:22:00 PM »

Don't forget, Blokey's creatinine got all the way up to 1000 a few weeks ago ... it managed to bump back down again quite well despite them being convinced it was going to be a major episode of rejection (and although there were no signs of rejection they still have no idea what caused it)!  I'm pleased it's stable at the moment ... hopefully it's going down now and you can start relaxing.  *huggles*

lainiepop

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 06:39:00 AM »

Hi, better news today, scan shows Kidney all fine & creatinine improved from 105 to 92 so they think it was down to infection. Just praying it stays this  way. Still Waiting to see Urologist about taking stent & catheters out X x

1984 - urostomy op
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2012, 07:23:43 AM »

Hi Lainie, just found this thread, hoping you are doing okay.  I'm glad to see this good news you just posted.   :cuddle; :cuddle;

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
lainiepop

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 08:19:23 AM »

Latest - have a blood & Urine infection so feel tired but antibiotics are working Creatinine down to 80  & function 70% So hopefully was just infection & all will be OK! Am shattered from stress! going home tonight x

1984 - urostomy op
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2012, 11:31:14 AM »

Hope  things are really on the mend now. I know you will be looking forward to going home. Make sure you do not do too much, take it easy you have been through enough.
MaryJoe

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2012, 12:47:27 PM »

:clap;  I'm so glad it wasn't something more serious, and that you get to go home today!

Whether the glass is half empty or half full is not as important as being thankful there's a glass and grateful there's something in it.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2012, 02:24:08 PM »

:cuddle;

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

WishIKnew

Alports, dialysis '07-'12,cancer'11,transplant '12

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2012, 02:44:20 PM »

So glad you're going home!  Give yourself time for your head to catch up with your body.  It is SOOO hard to trust that these transplant miracles will last.  Let's decide together to trust anyway!  Thinking of you and your family.

Diane

:flower; :flower; :flower;
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2012, 12:07:55 AM »

Glad the doctors know what it is and that your going home. I bet your going to miss that hospital food! :sarcasm;

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
mk

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2012, 12:55:48 PM »

I'm relieved for you that you're headed home. I went through a similar episode and felt that same fear of the miracle ending. It didn't and it won't for you. Give yourself time to heal and adjust - it's a new life with this new kidney - and it gets so much better. Ask friends to help with specific things while you get stronger after the surgery and the infection. They want to, they don't know how.
As for your MiL, in comment to friends testing to donate, my MiL said, "why would anyone do that?"; and then when she learned it was her son (my hero) who was going to donate, she said " oh no, will you be alright, you shouldn't" to him. at no point in time did it occur to her that I might actually have a real health problem and living on dialysis wasn't alright! With the occasional rant, I ignored her ignorance. Do that too!
and hug those kids! Hugs to you.
lainiepop

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2012, 01:17:57 PM »

thanks so much everyone. So glad to be home with Kids  & nice food. Feel quite Weak still after I go out for a bit so gonna chill tomorrow. Guess my body's been through more than most in the Last 18tnths - pregnanc y, c secti on, ESR F then transplant!

Don't know if I said but I never had a drip in the end I just dranK loL!

Am back to hospital next Week for a day OP to remove a stent they put in while Kidneys healing, glad I'll be asleep, this Is cause of my weird bladder structure. mum's shattered Looking after me dad & 2 Kids! I'm constantLy Stressed & anxious wan t to be normal again but Looking forward to Elena's lst birthday on lst July then our 7th weddirg anniversary the day after. Hoping to get back to our home town for Andrew's 1ast week at pre School, he Starts School September, but not holding my breath!

Si denote - is there enough of us to start an off topic thread about MILS?? :rofl; who's with me?!

thanks for all your suppor t, much appreciated at this emotional time

marie x

1984 - urostomy op
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »