I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2024, 02:18:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  I have a "shocked kidney"
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I have a "shocked kidney"  (Read 6103 times)
brandywine

« on: June 08, 2012, 04:57:25 AM »

I am now 18days post transplant and my biopsy showed that I have a shocked kidney or ATN. They still think it is caused by Prograf even though my level is less than 10 now. Over the last week and a half my creatinine has creeped up from 1.3 to 2.5. I'm sitting in the lab now waiting for the latest. They said if I decline anymore that they will intervene. I felt better this morning than I have in days so I'm hopeful it is due to increased kidney function and not just lower prograf levels. They also said I have some tubular damage that should repair itself and there is always the possibility of a blockage. Have any of you been through this?

IgA Nephropathy Diagnosed Feb 2009
Transplant List Nov 2010
Peritoneal Dialysis Dec 2010
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 08:34:26 AM »

I have not heard of this. Sounds frustrating. I hope they can figure it out soon.
mcclane

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 09:46:59 AM »

Not sure if this is similiar, but on may 3rd I had an appointment to see the transplant doctor.  He adjusted my prograf/tacrolimus to 5 mg (I was on 7 before).  On sunday, I felt like crap, no appetite, not really peeing, just horrible.  Monday's bloodwork came back and creatine spiked to 145.  Thursday's bloodwork had creatine at 144.  Transplant clinic is freaking out, and a biopsy was booked.  One week after Monday's bloodwork creatine came down to 116.  Since then the hospital hasn't called me at all about my creatine, and my prograf has been reduced to 3.5 mg.  Of late I've felt awesome, I feel energetic (did an intense work out, then went home to mow the lawn and then did some house cleaning), and my appetite has come back with a vengeance.

coravh

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 10:09:36 AM »

I had prograf toxicity and had to be taken off it. My cr. went back down to my baseline level and I felt better off the drug. I have been doing well on myfortic and rapamune. I just recently had a biopsy (during a follow up surgery to my pancreas transplant) and it showed the old toxicity but basically my kidney is doing fine for a 10 year old. Hope things level out for you.

Cora
noahvale
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 10:44:09 AM »

« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 07:46:33 AM by noahvale » Logged
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 11:15:31 AM »

:cuddle;  Hope everything levels out soon.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 05:51:54 PM »

gregory had no end of trouble with the ureter, they used the ureter from the new kidney first and there was a problem, later they 'went back in' and swapped it to his old ureter.  I believe it was a saga which went on for much of that first year BUT then his kidney lasted over 20 years so far. Hope your troubles are solve more quickly than that brandywine.
 :cuddle;

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
brandywine

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 06:28:50 PM »

Creatinine went up to 2.7 today so they intervened. They believe there is a blockage so they went in and put a drain line in my kidney through my stomach and now I have a bag attached to me for a few days. The did use dye for the procedure, but saw no actual blockage in the kidney. My stent migrated south, so they think that may be the cause for the backpressure. I meet with the urologist on Tuesday to hopefully get the stent out.

I have to go back to Mayo for labs in the morning. Hopefully the creatinine comes back down with the drain in place. :)

Thanks for the input!

Transplant List Nov 2010
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 05:48:37 AM »

Wish you luck.
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 07:44:57 AM »

Yes, hoping it goes well for you dear BW.

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 02:03:15 PM »

lots of luck Brandywine, I'll be thinking of you

love Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2012, 01:20:40 PM »

Sorry that things are a tad scary at the moment ... hopefully it will all settle down soon.

Thursday's bloodwork had creatine at 144.
*chuckles* ... Blokey's 'normal' is 150.  144 would be good for him! 

Btw, did I miss the 'BW GOT A KIDNEY!!! thread or am I just very forgetful?! (Probably the latter, yes?)   :2thumbsup;

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
brandywine

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 08:46:31 AM »

Things have been so crazy that I've been slow on posting.
The stent came out yesterday and my creatinine is 2.2 today. However, I'm peeing less than before and my drain isn't draining that much either. Woke up with an aching, tender kidney. Have another nephrostogram today. It looks like they might have to leave my drain line/tube in. Starting to get a little concerned.

Transplant List Nov 2010
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 03:37:22 PM »

Some people get adhesions or blockage where the uretor is sewn on - I hope they keep on top of it - eventually this should all work out.
 :cuddle;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
smcd23

The patient, the baby and the donor - October 2010

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 07:46:35 PM »

Thank you for posting this, and thanks for everyone's responses - I have a lot of questions to ask at our first clinic appointment tomorrow. Yesterday hubby had been peeing every 1.5 - 2 hours. When he left the hospital on Tuesday his creatinine was in the normal range.

Today his urine output decreased drastically. He has only put out about 550ml of urine, but taken in over 2 liters of fluid orally, and then when I spoke with the transplant coordinator she had us go to the local ER and they gave him 2 liters via IV. His creatinine was 2.2 and some other number was off, which indicated dehydration. They did a renal ultrasound and he isn't retaining fluid in the kidney from what they could tell. So they sent him home after the 2nd liter per instructions from the facility - I assume they are going to address the issue further in clinic tomorrow.

I am going to make sure I ask about the ATN and also about potential blockages and what his labs are for anti rejection meds (he's on prograf and cellcept). I don't want him to lose this kidney! The renal ultrasound showed good blood flow both venous and arterial, so that's good, at least, he lost my kidney due to a clot, so that was fear #1 today when his output dwindled to nothing...

Caregiver to Husband with ESRD.

1995 - Diagnosed with vesicoureteral reflux and had surgery to repair at age 11. Post surgery left side still had Stage I VUR, right side was okay. Both sides were underdeveloped.
2005 - Discovered renal function was declining, causing HBP. Regular monitoring began.

March 2008 - Started transplant evaluation for preemptive transplant due to declining function.

September 16, 2008 - Transplanted with my kidney.
September 18, 2008 - Kidney was removed due to thrombosis in the vessels in and leading to the kidney.

October 2008 - Listed in Region I

May 2009 - Started in Center Hemo
January 2010 - Started CCPD on Liberty Cycler

June 15, 2012 - Kidney transplant from a 43 year old deceased donor
June 22, 2012 - Major acute rejection episode and hospitalization began
June 27, 2012 - Nephrectomy to remove kidney after complete HLA antibody rejection. Possibly not eligible for another transplant, ever again.

Now what?
jeannea
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 06:41:29 AM »

I hope they have answers for you. I would be worried too. But the doctors have seen most everything and should know what to do.
Brightsky69

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 04:28:29 PM »

I hope your kidney settles down soon!   :cuddle;

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »