I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:50:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Advocacy
| | |-+  Which charity to donate to?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Which charity to donate to?  (Read 8802 times)
cattlekid
Elite Member

« on: March 18, 2012, 12:17:57 PM »

So those of us who follow Dave Ramsey know that we should be tihing 10% to our church. DH and I are not churchgoers but are looking for a charity to support.  Of course, the first thing that came to mind is a charity that is focused on kidney issues/awareness/patient assistance or transplant advocacy. 

However, so many of these charities give me an icky feeling because they are linked in to the LDO's in some way, shape or form.  I do not want my money to go to assist an LDO unless it is for direct patient assistance (paying for insurance, etc.) 

Anyone have any experience with these charities?  One that you would recommend over another?

:thx;
MaryD
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 02:27:05 PM »

The only place I donate to is Medicins sans Frontieres.  They get more than 10% of my income, but I'm gobsmacked at the places they go and the work they do.  Probably not much kidney work though.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 04:50:18 PM »

What does LDO stand for? I have an idea what it is, just not the shorthand.

However, I am taking donations to help get ready foor my trip for a guide dog, or post transplant chocolate fix. :p

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 06:07:00 PM »

Large dialysis organization.  Aka davita and fmc.

What does LDO stand for? I have an idea what it is, just not the shorthand.

However, I am taking donations to help get ready foor my trip for a guide dog, or post transplant chocolate fix. :p
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 08:33:57 PM »

Ahaha, another Dave Ramsey listener. He comes in where I work sometimes.  He is a down to earth guy with some common sense principles. 

I definately give to my church, but there are other good causes that we give to.  We have recently given to DAV (Disabled American Veterans).  But we give to Operation Blessing and our local Rescue Mission when we can! Definately donate to the American Diebetic Assoc.

But since J is no longer working, we cant give as much as we use to.

God Bless,
lmunchkin :kickstart;

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 09:04:17 PM »

Speaking of Vets, there are service dogs that are trained and given free to injured vets or ptss. The money goes straight to help provide housing for the vet while training, food for both human and dogs. Then there are vet organizations of various kinds that go directly towards vets, even care packages are still sent.

But maybe make a list of possible organizations to donate to that you have some sort of connection to and narrow it down by how much you care about the organization and how easy it was to research the organization  to see where your money goes.

This is my serious answer for now.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
lmunchkin
Elite Member

"There Is No Place Like Home!"

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 09:48:37 PM »

Excellent advise Chris, definately research before donating!

11/2004 Hubby diag. ESRD, Diabeties, Vascular Disease & High BP
12/2004 to 6/2009 Home PD
6/2009 Peritonitis , PD Cath removed
7/2009 Hemo Dialysis In-Center
2/2010 BKA rt leg & lt foot (all toes) amputated
6/2010 to present.  NxStage at home
Desert Dancer

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 10:04:24 PM »

Two of my favorites are Heifer International, which has a sustainable, community-wide pay-it-forward model:
http://heifer.org/

And Kiva, which is actually not charity but microlending to those who have no access to traditional credit. The loans get paid back and you can then roll them over into new loans:
http://www.kiva.org/

One of the best places to research a charity:
http://charitynavigator.org/
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 10:05:30 PM by Desert Dancer » Logged

August 1980: Diagnosed with Familial Juvenile Hyperurecemic Nephropathy (FJHN)
8.22.10:   Began dialysis through central venous catheter
8.25.10:   AV fistula created
9.28.10:   Began training for Home Nocturnal Hemodialysis on a Fresenius Baby K
10.21.10: Began creating buttonholes with 15ga needles
11.13.10: Our first nocturnal home treatment!

Good health is just the slowest possible rate at which you can die.

The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty. The glass is just twice as large as it needs to be.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 12:09:54 AM »

I have been a supporter for many years to the Renal Support Network, a non-profit run by a kidney patient. Lori Hartwell provides support and info for kidney patients and I have seen first hand how much good she does. I also volunteer for them and it's been a great experience. You can learn more at http://www.rsnhope.org

I also support the National Kidney Registry. They have been instrumental in making paired donation transplants happen on a national level. You can read about them at http://kidneyregistry.org

And, if you're so inclined, your could help our forum here on IHD by becoming a Premium Member, or even donating a small amount. It helps to cover our cost of software upgrades, hosting fees and troubleshooting when we have problems.

:waving;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 07:01:01 AM »

What about the American Kidney Fund?

How are we all feeling about the National Kidney Foundation? (NKF)

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 10:46:57 AM »

Some of us don't feel too good about the NKF.  Right now, the leadership isn't the best. They have pulled out of several states due to money issues.  N.C. is one of them.  We had our own Walk for several years. Now, there is no representative in our state.  My daughter was asked to be on the state board --- she was asked to give a $10,000 "donation" before they could give her a contract.  So, for us the main issues have to do with their use of money. 

Both my daughters work for non-profits.  Their advice is to find the ratio of where the money goes -- patient vs. office costs.   MDA has a higher percent going to running the organization than to the patients.  Some research on the internet will help know which agency handles the budget the best. 

A member here stated her own non-profit "Etta's Gift" to help with information, expenses with transplants.   Renal Support Network is great. IHD is always a good idea!! LOL 

Thanks for having a generous heart.   :2thumbsup;   

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
smcd23

The patient, the baby and the donor - October 2010

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 11:04:50 AM »

Some of us don't feel too good about the NKF.  Right now, the leadership isn't the best. They have pulled out of several states due to money issues.  N.C. is one of them.  We had our own Walk for several years. Now, there is no representative in our state.  My daughter was asked to be on the state board --- she was asked to give a $10,000 "donation" before they could give her a contract.  So, for us the main issues have to do with their use of money.   

I used to do the Kidney Walk for the NKF every year. I have since stopped. I feel like they are all show and no go. Through my job, I have the opportunity to contribute to hundreds of charities direct from my paycheck through the Combined Federal Campaign. We get a book that describes each charity and also what percentage of donations made to them go to "administrative" costs - salaries, overhead etc. In 2011, 27.2% of every dollar went toward those costs - that means more than 1/4 of your donation! Not to mention there is no direct benefit (to me at least) from the NKF.

The good news is the American Kidney Fund only has a 2.6% administrative cost. So that means $.97 of every dollar I donate goes to programs that actually help people. I know the AKF is currently paying for SO's Medicare Supplement, and they paid a years worth of back Medicare premiums so he could get on Part B before his COBRA started, and they had paid for his COBRA as well. They have helped us greatly, and I think I've seen others on here mention that they've received assistance from the AFK as well.

I have no idea if they give any money to the big companies, but it seems to me that they are more for helping patients than for profit facilities IMHO. But they get my $10/paycheck :)

Caregiver to Husband with ESRD.

1995 - Diagnosed with vesicoureteral reflux and had surgery to repair at age 11. Post surgery left side still had Stage I VUR, right side was okay. Both sides were underdeveloped.
2005 - Discovered renal function was declining, causing HBP. Regular monitoring began.

March 2008 - Started transplant evaluation for preemptive transplant due to declining function.

September 16, 2008 - Transplanted with my kidney.
September 18, 2008 - Kidney was removed due to thrombosis in the vessels in and leading to the kidney.

October 2008 - Listed in Region I

May 2009 - Started in Center Hemo
January 2010 - Started CCPD on Liberty Cycler

June 15, 2012 - Kidney transplant from a 43 year old deceased donor
June 22, 2012 - Major acute rejection episode and hospitalization began
June 27, 2012 - Nephrectomy to remove kidney after complete HLA antibody rejection. Possibly not eligible for another transplant, ever again.

Now what?
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »