I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:13:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Advocacy
| | |-+  New blog post from DaVita CMO on quality of life
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New blog post from DaVita CMO on quality of life  (Read 6450 times)
cattlekid
Elite Member

« on: May 09, 2012, 12:58:31 PM »

There is another thread on which we were discussing quality of life.  Here is a post somewhat on that topic from the Chief Medical Officer of DaVita.  It is slightly in response to a tweet that I sent to Dr. Provenanzo, VP of Medical Affairs, tweeting the recent article from the Wall Street Journal on quality of life in healthcare.

Please take a minute to check it out, including my response to Dr. Nissenson.  Please add your comments as well.  I feel that as patients, these individuals need to hear our voices directly - not filtered through some other "patient organization" that will probably just tell them what they want them to hear.

Here's the link:

http://www.davita.com/physicians/allen-blog/?p=226
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 02:20:32 PM »

I had read the referenced WSJ article some time ago, which sorta was the genesis of the quality of life thread.  I've just read Dr. Nissenson's blog post...thanks for posting that link.  I didn't see your comment, though.  Maybe it just hasn't been moderated and posted yet?  Can you tell us the gist of it?  Thanks.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
cattlekid
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 02:34:02 PM »

The basic gist of my comment was the following:

I thanked Dr. Niesseon for his post and said that based on his comments on QoL, what is DaVita doing in the following areas:

1.  Moving more patients out of the centers and home (either via home hemo or PD)
2.  Encouraging the development of alternative therapies (wearable/implantable devices)

I am curious to see what his answers will be.  I would think that his goal should be to get as many people out of the centers as possible, but I'd like to see the response.
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 03:02:49 PM »

Cattlekid, in case you didn't see my post on "When worlds collide", but I'll tell you that my husband is currently teaching a Business Law class.  One of his students is the head of Davita's Chicagoland home dialysis division, and during a break last night, she was telling my husband (who had mentioned that I was scoping out HHD) that they are encouraging more and more patients to do home D because the clinical outcomes are so much better AND it is cheaper overall.  I don't have any reason to think she was lying.  And this may be the case just in Chicagoland; I don't know if Davita is putting more into home D in other parts of the country.

Yes, please post his response.  I'm curious, too.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 04:44:17 PM »

DaVita does own a percentage of NxStage.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
dialysisadvocate

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 08:01:40 PM »

Interesting -- NOW they are referring more patients to home dialysis when they have known for quite some time that outcomes are better... the reason -cheaper -- as far as I am concerned.

Forgive my === well, whatever it is called, but I have to say I wish those at Davita, who are blogging take a look at their facilities in California at our website www.qualitysafepatientcare.com and tell me why
STAFF CAN NOT ADHERE TO THE DAVITA POLICIES, THE MOST BASIC OF BASIC OF HAND WASHING
WHY STAFF ARE NOT ADEQUATELY TRAINED AND EDUCATED AS TO THE RATIONALE BEHIND FOLLOWING DAVITA'S POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
AND, WHY DOES DAVITA NOT STRESS THIS MORE -- the surveys speak for themselves.. Sorry, but I have had it with these corporate level people making statements but the care in units, as evidenced in survey findings has NOT changed. and why, I ask them, knowing for years and years that infection is the number two killer of patients, do their staff not wash their hands in many units. THEN< WOULD THEY WANT TO RecEIVE care that is shown in some of the survey findings?
And, yes, many of the organizations that are patient advocacy groups are someway, some how, connected to the industry via funding, grants, etc... and what does this tell you?
opinions of Roberta Mikles www.qualitysafepatientcare.com

Roberta Mikles BA RN - www.qualitysafepatientcare.com
Dialysis Patient Safety Advocate
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »